Milwaukee M18 Fuel/lithium tool thread

Hosocat

Is that flat rope notch dryad or something similar? What do you use it for, and how do you splice it? I got a bunch in a tree stuff grab bag and I'm looking for uses.

evo

I’m in knee deep. I bought the super hawg for the grcs... then a standard plus impact drill, then the skill saw, now rocking the weedwacker and hedge trimmer.

My only complaint with any and all of these tools is the weed whacker. It’s a little gutless (which is ok, comparing weights) but is sucks the batteries dry quick. With two 9amps and one 8amp batteries the two quick chargers can’t keep up.. I did this beast on less than one batt 0F3EF9B9-082F-4852-94D6-42B42DC11547.jpeg

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I love my M18 fan. It got a lot of use after Hurricane Irma, while power was out. Even in the house, it's great to be able to put a fan exactly where you want it.

LordFarkwad

Wish they'd come out with a top handle, now that I'm somewhat invested in the platform. I looked to see if there was a minimally-invasive way to convert their rear handle saw to a top handle, but it looks like that would require major surgery, moving the throttle switch.

neums

Wish they'd come out with a top handle, now that I'm somewhat invested in the platform. I looked to see if there was a minimally-invasive way to convert their rear handle saw to a top handle, but it looks like that would require major surgery, moving the throttle switch.
@wisconsintreeclimber on Instagram was field testing a Milwaukee battery handheld saw that looked similar to the Stihl GTA26 a few months ago. You could dm him and ask about updates.

colb

Is that flat rope notch dryad or something similar? What do you use it for, and how do you splice it? I got a bunch in a tree stuff grab bag and I'm looking for uses.
It is hollow braid made by All Gear, labelled as Branch Saver. I have a roll of the Notch camo one too, which feels the same in the hand. It is a synthetic polymer cable for supplemental support systems in trees. You can YouTube videos for splicing. The splice is a series of brummels with a burry to tidy up the end. I do not know enough about brummels yet, so I stick in a stopper knot before burrying. It leaves a little lump, which is hard to see if the installation is up high. No one looks up that high anyways... The install is supposed to be taught, which I find awkward because I'd rather have the tree flex on its own more with these synthetic systems. To make it taught, you have to put the limbs under a bit of tension, splice the burry while it is loose, then release the limb tensioner. It is - by my personal experience - very hard to complete the burry without tension. If you don't bury, the installation would be doable without pretensioning the limbs, but will look less tidy. ArbSession has the fid in the same section as the product, so you know by implication that that's the fid to use - I concur that it is better than my other fids for this work. It would be nice to use a locking brummel, but this can only be done on one side. I like the uniformity of doing both sides the same way. All Gear has a specification for splicing their product on their website. I'm sure Notch does too. Everyone chooses the black over the Notch camo, so I have not used the camo yet and have not looked up their specification... This installation was two ~40-foot sections of cable. I have used a few short sections - like you likely have - to brace trees (a 2x trunked magnolia and an East Palatka Holly), so your grab bag may be useful. If you do a hub-and-spoke conformation (around, say, an expensive Fiori ring), you may also be able to use shorter sections. When the branches get too close together, you have to pay attention to the specified angle for where the cable meets back up with itself after passing around the branch. Make sure you can splice twice within that distance, or communicate your out-of-specification work-around to the client for confirmation before installing. Make sure you bring an M18 Fuel fan with you, lol.

colb

The fan is technically a tophandle... ;) I am waiting for their tophandle offering and frustrated that there is absolutely no word about it. There was little warning about their M18 air compressor too though, so I figure there just won't be any warning. In the meantime, I've got my Echo 2511t...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom