Milking Double Braid

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Took some rope to the park yesterday. A used blue moon and some unused arrow frog both 150’. Pulled around 24-30” of jacket off of each with a prusik, and about 5 cycles on each rope. This is my first rodeo milking a rope, and I definitely notice a improvement in the performance of the blue moon. Question is: does that amount of jacket seem typical, and how does the buzz world milk their ropes?

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Yeah, out of the box the blue moon seemed pretty tight, and straight….. the arrow frog had lots of memory and loose sheath out the box. I’ll be doing this to all future ropes prior to use.

Jonny

Been here a while
Is ArrowFrog a CE rope?
Those Yale 11.7mm sold in the UK are very different ropes. Not all polyester. Those have some nylon in them, I think.

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Is ArrowFrog a CE rope?
Those Yale 11.7mm sold in the UK are very different ropes. Not all polyester. Those have some nylon in them, I think.
Could you elaborate on this? I was under the impression that all Yale ropes were manufactured in Maine or North Carolina. Is there different material specs for ropes sold overseas?

dmonn

Participating member
Probably a very good idea to do several cycles on a rope in the same direction to see how much it's going to milk. I think most climbing ropes milk at least a little. Some manufacturers recommend not putting an eye splice on both ends of a rope. That's your clue that it will milk a lot. Once you've cycled the rope several times in the same direction, I think it's safe to splice the other end if you want.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom