Micro Injections for Clorosis in Eucs

JesseHuffman

I recently looked at a bunch of trees on a golf coarse and many of the Euculyptus trees were yellowing and dying back...I am assuming clorosis but am not 100%
I only think that beacuse it is so common here and the groundskeeper says that they nevr fertilize other than the turf ofcoarse.
I worked for companies before who did micro injections with Iron and saw things green up relativly quickly.
Any advice....other than leave them alone and hire an arborist.

Arboliciously yours,
Cutter Jesse

Rocks_and_Trees

I think you're right with the iron chlorosis diagnosis. It is pretty common round here. I've never used micro-injection before tho. I think the ph of the soil affects the ability of the tree to uptake iron, so M.I. would probably be a good choice for treatment.

juiceman

We have done quite a few Ferric ammonium citrate injections on Eucs here in the Valley. Some with good results and some with no visable results. Eucs handle injections differently than most trees and it is difficult to get good results. Personally, I think it has more to do with drought and poor root growth than iron deficiency. Try mulching using an air spade and adding some sulfer to adjust the ph. Eucs have a hard time with soil compaction and knowing the soil here in the Phx, I bet you have some pretty compacted soil under that euc.

JesseHuffman

Thanks guys. Mulching is exactly what I reccommended. I told them that the injections are a temporary solution to a permanent problem, unless they address the poor soil conditions. I just thought that it would be a good way to bypass the rootsystem as a sort of quick fix. Would the airspading be done all the way around the tree at the dripline? I wish I had this tool.

juiceman

Ideally it would be best to go out to the drip line. But if this is on a golf course, this may not be possible. You may want to do a bulk density test firt. This will let you know if compaction is a problem. If you do get a hold of an air spade and do this, don't forget to irrigate often for the first few weeks. Those fine roots can dry out quickly around here.

Attachments