Memorial Day

Burrapeg

I hope all of you are having a great (and safe) Memorial Day today and remembering any of your forebears who were veterans. Raining here so I cancelled my solo hike and climb plans. Just chilling indoors and thinking of my Dad who passed away in 2007. He was on the flattop USS Franklin when the Japanese bombed it and she lost over 800 men. Dad helped fight the fires for several days until he collapsed; he did not know he had sustained both hips fractured in the bombing. He was just temporarily on the carrier after his own ship, a destroyer, had been torpedoed and sunk. Dad was a good swimmer so he was one of the handful of survivors who reached a nearby island after the sinking and were rescued a month later. He was still a teenager, only seventeen years old.

JD3000

Most well-known member
I hope all of you are having a great (and safe) Memorial Day today and remembering any of your forebears who were veterans. Raining here so I cancelled my solo hike and climb plans. Just chilling indoors and thinking of my Dad who passed away in 2007. He was on the flattop USS Franklin when the Japanese bombed it and she lost over 800 men. Dad helped fight the fires for several days until he collapsed; he did not know he had sustained both hips fractured in the bombing. He was just temporarily on the carrier after his own ship, a destroyer, had been torpedoed and sunk. Dad was a good swimmer so he was one of the handful of survivors who reached a nearby island after the sinking and were rescued a month later. He was still a teenager, only seventeen years old.
My grandfather was on the Franklin too

Burrapeg

My grandfather was on the Franklin too
There is a youTube with footage shot on board and from other ships, of her being bombed and burning, in case you have not seen it. It was amazing that the ship survived. It is really hard to watch that film, knowing my Dad is on there at that exact moment they were filming it.

Reach

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine, who was special ops in the Army in Vietnam. He usually goes down to the memorial in DC, but didn’t this year because of the virus. He knows far too many of the names on that wall from his time over there, but he can’t talk much about them, because it’s all still secret. I know this is a hard day for him, especially since he had to stay home this year. Sure makes me appreciate the life I have, thanks to him and men like him who have fought and died for this country over the centuries.

oldoakman

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine, who was special ops in the Army in Vietnam. He usually goes down to the memorial in DC, but didn’t this year because of the virus. He knows far too many of the names on that wall from his time over there, but he can’t talk much about them, because it’s all still secret. I know this is a hard day for him, especially since he had to stay home this year. Sure makes me appreciate the life I have, thanks to him and men like him who have fought and died for this country over the centuries.
X2 and more!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Today I visited Ft Snelling National Cemetery

Three stops. Each monument got a little landscaping. I cut the grass away

Don Nix...a friend, brother. VN vet. One of the most clever people I’ve ever known. He was a heavy equipment mechanic in VN. Told me many stories about time there

Uncle Ed...my Moms BIL and moms sis Florence

My Dads Dad...Clive. Cavalry in SW US around WW I era. I have a couple of memories of him. He died when I was five C8813D5B-6DFD-42FC-8B08-EAC0B0964576.jpeg

Attachments

Fivepoints

My dad was drafted in Vietnam. He's still alive and this day always makes me think about how I wouldn't be here if things had gone differently for him.

My dads uncle fought in northern France during ww2. He ended up earning a distinguish service cross for fighting. He and a couple of his buddies ended up fighting against a lot more Nazi's with a BAR. Both buddies were slightly wounded but kept gathering ammo for my great uncle. It haunted him until he died.

Last edited:

Treezybreez

My grandfather on my dad's side was in the Navy, on a destroyer, in Pearl Harbor, when the Japanese bombed it. He was changing a flag when planes started bombing the air fields and he initially thought it was an Ally exercise. The officers were all on shore, so those onboard had to break the locks to the amunition. He said he burned his hands pulling hot shells out of the guns.

Another time they struck a mine coming into a port and it sank the ship. He was cleaning out a lifeboat, so he didn't even get his feet wet! Everyone in the boiler room died though.

My dad didn't know very much about my grandfather's time in the Navy, until closer to the end of his life. He witnessed a lot of terrible things and it weighed heavily on his mind.

Burrapeg

. . . until closer to the end of his life. He witnessed a lot of terrible things and it weighed heavily on his mind.
Same with my Dad. He never talked about any of it with us til he was elderly and we were grown men. Even then, he needed to have a beer or two before he could tell us about some of what he had seen. I think it did him a lot of good to finally talk about it, but it was very hard to hear some of it. Horrible stuff, absolutely nightmarish. We owe these guys so much, any of us who did not have to fight in some war.

Tuebor

There is a youTube with footage shot on board and from other ships, of her being bombed and burning, in case you have not seen it. It was amazing that the ship survived. It is really hard to watch that film, knowing my Dad is on there at that exact moment they were filming it.
Another very stoic and analytical video of the fire and damage:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom