MCRS Review

Mel

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on this piece of gear, hopefully help someone make a purchase decision, as it is fairly pricey.

I came from a Petzl Sequoia for a tree harness, and I've had alot of time in many different types of harnesses. I've got to say, the MCRS is pretty comfy straight out of the box. I should mention I'm 5'2" and 130 lbs. I didn't have any trouble dialing it in, helps to have somewhere to hang briefly so you can see your adjustments a bit better. I love the rope build, it's insanely easy to inspect, even with tons of gear hanging off it. I haven't hung a big saw from it yet but I barely felt the 16" bar T540 which wasn't as comfortable hanging from the Sequoia. Also, I read a few reviews before buying it where people said there was nowhere to hang gear. That's just wrong. I had to stop adding gear loops after a while 'cause I didn't need more, I was just having too much fun being creative with the extra material that comes with it. Just take a minute to build it perfectly for you and you won't have to touch it again. The webbing provides near endless gear placement solutions. Hanging in it, the range of motion is great, I love using the bottom 2 rings for work positioning with my RE Rockgrab lanyard. I use the lower rings more over the top rings, it's quite comfortable. As other people have said, it does feel very "safe". The bright green of the life support points makes them really easy to identify if you have lots of gear hanging on ya (the Sequoia's side D's were silver and so is alot of kit..). One thing, the top rings you keep your lanyards stored on WILL flop backwards. Just how it goes with this thing.. You'll see in the pic below. It's not an issue to me, but it may be annoying to someone else. Also mentioned by other people, the leg loops are a pain to get in and out of, really wish there was a quick way to slack them off but I like the saddle enough to just get over it. Maybe a tied-off munter or something in future versions? I have to do quite the bent-over hump to get it on. I like the grommet-style belt though, more so than having a buckle, it's easier to adjust for wearing layers. I have had the occasional pressure/pinching from the leg loop ropes and have actually had bruising from it but as I continued to use the saddle, I found that it happened when the leg pads would rotate around a bit, leaving your inner thigh exposed a bit too much and you lean over to do something and get a nasty pressure in a nasty place. After noticing the pad issue, I kept an eye on it and haven't had that pain again since, so if you keep them in place it doesn't hurt. I may add little tiny bungee prusiks attaching the pads to the rope to keep them in place in the future if it persists once the leather is broken in. One last point, I feel the whole saddle is made of top-grade stuff. From the leather to the rope... all good stuff. Except the rings. They're CT aluminum rings and they showed wear from the aluminum lanyard biners almost immediately, (the green ones, not the silver ones obviously). Not a deal breaker, but Petzl's rings stayed nice pretty long, just sayin'.

Today I was messing around with my lanyards, hanging from my basement's rock wall. You can see I have the rope tails long still, I may change the adjustment a tiny it before cutting the them. The singing rock porter had to be put at an angle because if you had it vertically it would interfere with that side ring a bit too much.

I think that's it for now, I may post another way down the road after it's seen some real wear. Let me know what you think of my review and if you have any questions/comments.

Hope this helps someone!

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@Mel; Really great review, Mel! Thanks from me, also. Really thorough, and mentions things I haven't heard before.

Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you're going to like it here, and I look forward to reading more from you.

Tim

96coal449

Yes welcome to the buzz! I for one love my MCRS minus putting it on. I also have two transporters on mine. Those things rock on this saddle. Mel, awesome review ...... you mentioned everything I have noticed.
I left all the length of the main saddle rope as is. I wove it back and forth through the web loops. A smigit of weight could have been saved, but I too wanted to wait till after adjustments. I put the transporters on and it made a solid mount. So I left it alone. Thanks for the pics! I enjoy looking at how others are set up.

Mel

Thanks for the good feedback, guys. Much appreciated.
I didn't even think about keeping the tails tucked in. Smart!

Mel

Yes welcome to the buzz! I for one love my MCRS minus putting it on. I also have two transporters on mine. Those things rock on this saddle. Mel, awesome review ...... you mentioned everything I have noticed.
I left all the length of the main saddle rope as is. I wove it back and forth through the web loops. A smigit of weight could have been saved, but I too wanted to wait till after adjustments. I put the transporters on and it made a solid mount. So I left it alone. Thanks for the pics! I enjoy looking at how others are set up.
Let's see how yours is set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96coal449

The SS ring to the right of the transporter is my mod that I exchanged the stock green positioning rings for.
They're a little larger and don't mind the steel lanyard snaps on my wire core. The aluminum would have gotten nicked to hell.

Mel

The SS ring to the right of the transporter is my mod that I exchanged the stock green positioning rings for.
They're a little larger and don't mind the steel lanyard snaps on my wire core. The aluminum would have gotten nicked to hell.
Very nice! Would you recommend replacing the green rings with, let's say, DMM ones once these wear out? Also, how to you find it with the suspenders? I didn't get those, I don't usually have a big saw on me.
No blood stopper?

96coal449

The DMM rings are definitely quality pieces. All there stuff is IMO. I have one that came on a hitch cord from a fellow member. I don't know how much use it's seen but shows no wear on the anodizing.
I haven't worn it with the suspenders yet. I got those in January and attached them so I could hang the saddle for the pics. @Steve Connally has been wearing the suspenders for a while now .....
He does a ton of crane work with larger saws.
No, no blood stopper kit. Something I've never carried in 15yrs. All of that is in the trucks though. I can't do 1st aid in the tree but I'm supper cautious. I always run through a check list in my head before cuts. Check for rope interference, body parts, knots secure, and path of travel for pieces being cut. With any awkward cuts I try to make sure I have two hands on the saw. Then I call down to alert groundies ... READY.
I should probably get a kit. Maybe I will. Strange, I personally know several local tree services and not one climber has one. Not even the certified arborist I first started with.
Be interesting to hold a poll on this.

Reactions: Mel

Steve Connally

The suspenders are pretty much just ok. They serve the purpose. the chest tending point is poor at best. I wore mine for a year to put it through the ringers and took them off in the summer. Never put them back on. I usually don't need them even with a big saw. I got tired of the suspenders, a chestie, and a camelback.

Mel

The suspenders are pretty much just ok. They serve the purpose. the chest tending point is poor at best. I wore mine for a year to put it through the ringers and took them off in the summer. Never put them back on. I usually don't need them even with a big saw. I got tired of the suspenders, a chestie, and a camelback.
That's quite a lot of stuff to have strapped on to you. I was really on the fence about getting the suspenders but here in Winnipeg I can cut almost anything with a 16" bar so I rarely hang with a big saw..

Thanks for the comment!

Steve Connally

No need to switch out the green rings when they wear out. Your supposed to rebuild at the 2 year mark and the rebuild kit comes with the rings. If you wear that ring out in 2 years there's something way wrong. I'm near the 2 year mark and will need to rebuild probably This fall but you couldn't tell by looking at it. Just looks like I'm making money with it. . I do switch out the bridge every 6 months as recommended

Mel

The DMM rings are definitely quality pieces. All there stuff is IMO. I have one that came on a hitch cord from a fellow member. I don't know how much use it's seen but shows no wear on the anodizing.
I haven't worn it with the suspenders yet. I got those in January and attached them so I could hang the saddle for the pics. @Steve Connally has been wearing the suspenders for a while now .....
He does a ton of crane work with larger saws.
No, no blood stopper kit. Something I've never carried in 15yrs. All of that is in the trucks though. I can't do 1st aid in the tree but I'm supper cautious. I always run through a check list in my head before cuts. Check for rope interference, body parts, knots secure, and path of travel for pieces being cut. With any awkward cuts I try to make sure I have two hands on the saw. Then I call down to alert groundies ... READY.
I should probably get a kit. Maybe I will. Strange, I personally know several local tree services and not one climber has one. Not even the certified arborist I first started with.
Be interesting to hold a poll on this.
Glad to know I'm on the right track about the rings. I don't have any DMM ones but I do have some of their other gear and it's always bomber.

I'm still sort of new to tree work so I think I still have a sense of impending doom, thinking I'll get cut at some point. But I'm like you, mental checklist, brake on around the ropes.. go figure. I feel like if I were to get cut I would just rip down the tree anyway and let the ground crew patch me up. That's said, I hope it never comes to that.

Steve Connally

Yeah I do crane wrk and mostly removals. Rare I get to climb around a broad canopy tree without spikes so I have way less gear hanging than you guys maybe one redirect set up. Extra biner, quickie and an 8. I manage my lanyard with the sidewinder and have the tufelberger saw lanyard secured with an oval screwlink and a shembiner. My saddle doesn't look rearly as exciting as y'alls. I also have a biner with a small looper for lowering and pulling up saws.

Reactions: Mel

Mel

No need to switch out the green rings when they wear out. Your supposed to rebuild at the 2 year mark and the rebuild kit comes with the rings. If you wear that ring out in 2 years there's something way wrong. I'm near the 2 year mark and will need to rebuild probably This fall but you couldn't tell by looking at it. Just looks like I'm making money with it. . I do switch out the bridge every 6 months as recommended
Roger. Do you ever adjust your bridge or just set it and forget it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Connally

After a few weeks of use I'll shorten it up. I'm not sure it creeps but it sure gets longer after a ton of hours hanging.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom