Mature tree regrowth

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the structural strength of new growth (epicormic) on a mature tree that is in slow decline. I think this new growth would be stronger than the re-growth from a topped section. But since it is a response to losing foliage from the exterior sections of the crown, I feel like the speed of growth would be similar to the re-growth of a topped section (and would be similarly weakly attached).

Neill

What type of tree? How big is the parent?
I would generally agree with your statement but there are some situations where some stump sprouts could be ok

It's Manitoba maple/box elder. The crown isn't big, maybe 35 feet height and spread. The new growth the I would eventually cut it to starts at about the 15 foot height. The client wants to keep it. We are discussing a strategy where we reduce it over time.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
It's Manitoba maple/box elder. The crown isn't big, maybe 35 feet height and spread. The new growth the I would eventually cut it to starts at about the 15 foot height. The client wants to keep it. We are discussing a strategy where we reduce it over time.
Epicormic growth on boxelder is ubiquitous. The ones I have had the displeasure of playing with sometime seem like every branch is the result of an epicormic sprout, weak and messy.

Are you saying you are pushing to remove the bottom branches up to 15’ on a tree that is 35’ tall?

Epicormic growth on boxelder is ubiquitous. The ones I have had the displeasure of playing with sometime seem like every branch is the result of an epicormic sprout, weak and messy.

Are you saying you are pushing to remove the bottom branches up to 15’ on a tree that is 35’ tall?
There is a lot of dieback in the tree. Basically what I was thinking was reducing the crown over time to the point where it is putting on new growth. The thing I am wondering is by the time this happens, will the epicormic growth be too big to leave considering how weak they probably will be.
I guess I'm just thinking out loud about a realistic possibility of how I could save what's living, without creating a hazard.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the structural strength of new growth (epicormic) on a mature tree that is in slow decline. I think this new growth would be stronger than the re-growth from a topped section.

Manitoba maple doesn't have a considerable amount of structural strength to begin with as it grows like there's no tomorrow. Just keep that in mind with whatever you do with the tree. Also very bad at CODIT

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom