Maple or Oak?

LarryB

Could anyone tell me which of these two species in the most general sense most prominently displays the following two characteristics.

1. Resistant to disease and fungus

2. May grow in poor soil.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The question is way too broad to answer properly

The two species have examples with a wide range of characteristics.

Example...oak wilt is deadly to red oaks. Yet there are regions of the world that don’t have OW so it’s not a worry

What are you trying to find out?

Where do you live?

LarryB

I live in CT, but I'm actually a board game designer and I'm making a game which involves trees and I'm looking for a fairly common and recognizable tree that has both of those characteristics. I'm looking for this in the most general sense.
Thank you very much for the reply!

ATH

Broadly speaking...I think oaks have a reputation for representing "tough". That is a well earned reputation. In the native forest, maple are also very Hardy...but maybe not quite as much as oak. In the landscape environment, there are a lot of non-native maple that struggle. Of course there are a lot of native that don't do well in the built environment either. Not sure if that is helping...my vote is oak.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
@LarryB

Very cool!

Accuracy is important.

My nickels worth says that oaks, especially those in the White oak group are the toughest going

In every region or biome there are trees that don’t tolerate change...water, soil temp, soil disturbances. When I worked in the Dallas and Austin areas I learned that Post Oaks sometimes die of there is even talk of changes. Bring a Bobcat around and they just die. But...Post Oaks in another area might not be so sensitive.

Without giving away the game you’ll probably get some good info. You can start a Conversation/DM and take more specific questions out of the public eye

The more criteria you can share the better answer you’ll get

Example...having action take place in Minnesota that involves Live Oak is a fail. LO don’t grow anywhere near here. Burr or white oak would be the choices.

I have a favor to ask.

If the game goes live can you credit whoever helped w

oldoakman

I have to echo Tom's point re different boomer's. Although oank are more predominant tree here in south central georgia, they aren't necessarily extremely long lived like they can be in other areas.

KTSmith

Wow, yes, the potential of the game to illustrate tree survival strategies and tradeoffs is a great idea! Think of the number of ways that soil can be "poor".
Players could have the chance of competition, combat, and harmonious community with the wood decay fungi!

For sheer breadth of ecological amplitude look to the Red Maple, Acer rubrum. Naturally ranges from the Laurentians to the Keys. Replaces significance of oak in forest dominance due to fire suppression. Able to sprout (all too well) from stumps, so there is a "comeback" story. Can make stuff out of it (once cut into small enough pieces).

LarryB

Board gaming is my passion, not my day job. There is something called "Hobby Gaming" or "Modern Board gaming". These are games that are not designed for children, but are thought provoking games for adults to enjoy, that involve typically much more strategy than luck. I've been fortunate enough to have two games published so far over the last 10 years or so. I will share with you the theme and premise of this board game that I'm working on below. I know that it might be a turn off for many of you as it is a bit of science fiction, but hopefully some of you will see the fun that it could become.

Triple Helix: (working title)

The year is 2103. The Ancon corporation is the most advanced biological science company in the world. Their cutting edge research on DNA manipulation of aggressive and carnivorous plants sparked the interest of many nations seeking a cost effective and renewable means to border defense. After modifying the DNA and crossbreeding to greatly increase these plants aggressive nature, their latest effort sought to combine their DNA with large trees to make these plants, larger, stronger and more durable. Pursuit of this science lead them to a breakthrough by bending DNA and creating a Triple Helix.
An unfortunate and undisclosed accident left them without their top team of botanists, bio-engineers and scientists. They are now looking to contract with other private science corporations to perfect their new technology.
Four top firms are interested in this very lucrative contract. The Ancon corporation has secured 4,000 acres in a remote part of the world for these four companies to compete to see which can create the most fearsome and formidable, Floracide Plants!

ATH

Any play Photosynthesis? Board game based on tree positions, shading, allocation or resources. Different tree types, but just to separate players, they all behave the same in that game.

LarryB

Any play Photosynthesis? Board game based on tree positions, shading, allocation or resources. Different tree types, but just to separate players, they all behave the same in that game.
I have seen this game. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom