Makita chainsaw review video

Lignotuber

Great review, i just got the XCUO6 for a light pruning saw about a week ago. Already had some Makita batteries which made the decision easier. Seems like a great little saw but you definitely need to get used to babying it a bit so it doesn't stop cutting. Is the sprocket a Stihl picco one as well? Be an interesting mod.

teethless

Thanks for posting this!

New tree guy and member here...

I saw some of your other posts and they are what inspired me to grab one of the 18v saws and do the 1/4" mod. Looking forward to putting them to work!

macrocarpa

Great review, i just got the XCUO6 for a light pruning saw about a week ago. Already had some Makita batteries which made the decision easier. Seems like a great little saw but you definitely need to get used to babying it a bit so it doesn't stop cutting. Is the sprocket a Stihl picco one as well? Be an interesting mod.
Its a Makita part.

Part # - 198259-2

macrocarpa

Thanks for posting this!

New tree guy and member here...

I saw some of your other posts and they are what inspired me to grab one of the 18v saws and do the 1/4" mod. Looking forward to putting them to work!
Makes for a nice little pruning saw but does have limitations.

If your new to climbing with a chainsaw just be sure to use consistent safe saw handling :)

macrocarpa

where'd you order 1/4 pitch sprocket and bar for them?
Stihl worked on the 18v but not the 36V.
Stihl bar- 3005-008-3403 (10”-1/4” pitch- .043 gauge)
Stihl chain- 3670-000-0056 (71pm3) 56 drive link
Makita sprocket- 198259-2

Panther mini echo bars works on both out of the UK but they have a $80 minimum to ship to the US.

macrocarpa

This guy does some very good testing:

I've got the Makita rear handle from the first video you posted. It comes with 4 batteries. Groundie likes it.

Ultimately I would like to have a climbing saw the weight of the 18V with the power of the 36V.

Closest thing I have come up with is the echo DCS-2500T but its not available in the US yet and costs $1200.00 !

teethless

I copied your shopping list (thank you!) and the new sprocket finally arrived. Unfortunately I can't get the set up to swap on the 18v....seems to be too tight of chain. Any words of advice having done the mods?

Jehinten

I copied your shopping list (thank you!) and the new sprocket finally arrived. Unfortunately I can't get the set up to swap on the 18v....seems to be too tight of chain. Any words of advice having done the mods?
I ran into this same problem with my setup. Double checked that everything was the correct parts, it was, so I took an old chainsaw file and elongated the tensioner hole. It only takes a little bit and it worked great. Less than an 1/8" if I'm remembering correctly

macrocarpa

I ran into this same problem with my setup. Double checked that everything was the correct parts, it was, so I took an old chainsaw file and elongated the tensioner hole. It only takes a little bit and it worked great. Less than an 1/8" if I'm remembering correctly
Sounds like an easy fix. I wonder why the same bar and chain are not fitting in some cases? When you extended the tensioner hole does the Oiler still lineup OK? How has the saw been working out for you?

Thanks for posting!

Jehinten

Sounds like an easy fix. I wonder why the same bar and chain are not fitting in some cases? When you extended the tensioner hole does the Oiler still lineup OK? How has the saw been working out for you?

Thanks for posting!
Its been working well, but due to job scopes not getting much use on the job. Its super handy around the shop though when needing to make one quick cut in something.

Its been oiling just fine, I barely elongated the holes, so it didn't change much. I'm curious about the bar chain not fitting as well, I thought for sure that I'd gotten a chain that was missing a link or that the chain adjuster wasn't traveling all the way back. But everything checks out.

Possibly a quality control issue with one company or another that is making a particular part sometimes work and other times just outside of tolerance? Since finding my work around I've quit looking into it, it's work good as is.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom