Main line folly - one of the dangers of not climbing enough!

pete3d

I know, I know, I don’t climb enough but that was proven again yesterday when I got out to the bush, opened my rope bag, and found that the chipmunks who “occasionally” visit the shed where I store countless valuables, including my climbing gear, had been considering nesting in my best 200’ climbing line. I guess it serves me right.

I did get in a successful climb though, and got the dead wood down, as they missed gnawing a 120’ piece, enough for the job.
CBCAA8EA-842C-4570-B4EA-FAB3FF00B107.jpeg

Crimsonking

Carpal tunnel level member
Where are you located? I have an abundance of climbing lines and could part with one.

Edit- just saw your Canadian abbreviation.

What kind of rope interests you? I have an 11mm teufelberger chameleon that just sits in a tote. ~160’.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
@Dan Cobb that is an EPIC photo! How far/long was that rap? I think caving and canyoneering have a lot of commonalities with tree work…. retrievable systems etc…
IIRC, it's 142 ft from best (easiest) rigging point, maybe a little longer from the "keyhole" on the high side.

Getting jaw dropping photos of it is about as difficult as chewing gum. There's plenty of room to get far enough back from the pit to frame it all and the sunbeam effect is pretty much a daily occurrence, except maybe in winter when the sun doesn't get high enough. You don't even have to rappel in to photograph the pit; it has another entrance.

** The cave is on a Southeastern Cave Conservancy preserve and requires a permit for entry. **

pete3d

Where are you located? I have an abundance of climbing lines and could part with one.

Edit- just saw your Canadian abbreviation.

What kind of rope interests you? I have an 11mm teufelberger chameleon that just sits in a tote. ~160’.
Thanks @Crimsonking I’m kinda married to Fly type rope as it works well in my Taz Lov and my Sparrow descenders, and other types (Velocity for example) don’t.

I really need Fly, Firefly, or Dragonfly or an 11mm max rope with a lot of “body” like they have.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Thanks very much Sean, but I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new hank, after careful study, seeing that I really only had 70’ of unscarred Firefly left in my bag of tricks. (I mostly do basal anchors, and my sweet wife insisted.)
Now is the time to learn to splice and make a bunch of lanyards and such out of that chewed up line. No need to waste it!

Looks like a good pic to keep handy for every time a rec climber (like me) writes asking: “can I leave a rope permanently in the tree??”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evo

Been here a while
Thanks very much Sean, but I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new hank, after careful study, seeing that I really only had 70’ of unscarred Firefly left in my bag of tricks. (I mostly do basal anchors, and my sweet wife insisted.)
Watch out for animal urine, if I recall it’s one of the worst chemicals for rope

JeffGu

Been here a while
...animal urine, if I recall it’s one of the worst chemicals for rope...
It also makes a lousy aftershave lotion.

If you're going to store your gear in a shed or garage where rodents are an issue, check craigslist and garage sales for old, pickup bed toolboxes. I've picked some up for dirt cheap, and they're very rodent-proof. Even the polyethylene ones are too thick for them to chew through, but I prefer the aluminum and steel ones.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom