M rig

Hosocat

I'm experimenting around with using the m rig setup with a hitchclimber pully. I would like to be able to route the climb line through the two chosen crotches from the ground, rather than while in the tree. I haven't been successful at it due to difficulty of isolating the two tips using one line from the ground. I'm thinking it would be easier to just set two separate climbing lines and connect them to my bridge. Other than the extra line needed, is there any practical difference between the m rig setup and using two separate climbing lines. I really like the stability of support coming from two angles. Especially on limb walks.

Cereal_Killer

Not just an extra line, it's double the hardware; two HC's, 4 biners, 2 hitch cords...

The practical difference is you're gonna have to tend two systems at once.
The M rig self-equalizes the TIP forces, with dual systems you can unequally load the TIP's. Be sure to select proper TIP's and this shouldn't be much of an issue unless you're utilizing multiple points because neither are adequate on their own.

Tony

In practice, there is no huge difference between an M rig and two systems. Yes, there is more hardware. Yes, there may be two connections to your bridge. These things are minor if you NEED the second tie-in- point.

The benefits of a second climbing line/ using the other end of your rope?
Two independent systems.
The ability to abandon the initial system and work of the “redirected” point independently.
The ability to more efficiently establish the system remotely whilst in the tree.

Don't misunderstand me. I use an “M” system frequently in large spreading trees. I like the M system if I am at the point of redirect and can establish it by hand. If I need the extra anchor but it is remote I will use a second system every time.

I would never consider setting a “M” rig from the ground unless it was a bet or I was just fucking around drinking beer.

Tony

Hosocat

Thanks for tips, all. I was thinking there might be some benefit to being able to establish an m rig routing of the line from the ground, but as tony points out, it just takes too long. All it takes is one tiny branch to get on the wrong side of the routing to mess it up. Not that many perfectly trimmed trees, at least in these parts.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom