Looking for insurance/ advice for solo work

kymatt

I’ve been in the tree industry for around 6 years and climbing for over three years. I have a lot of requests for side work and small projects here and there. I don’t want to fully commit to starting a tree company at the moment because I like the stability I have with my current employer but I want to supplement my income with small jobs on most weekends and eventually start on my own once I’m in a better spot to make that transition. I’ve done side work before but would like to do it more smart by having insurance and I would like advice on any good companies to contact for quotes and do I need a licensed business to be able to start insurance? Or can I go as self employed to start up? I will be working on my own for most projects and may have occasional help from my wife or brother.

AdkEric

I’ve been in the tree industry for around 6 years and climbing for over three years. I have a lot of requests for side work and small projects here and there. I don’t want to fully commit to starting a tree company at the moment because I like the stability I have with my current employer but I want to supplement my income with small jobs on most weekends and eventually start on my own once I’m in a better spot to make that transition. I’ve done side work before but would like to do it more smart by having insurance and I would like advice on any good companies to contact for quotes and do I need a licensed business to be able to start insurance? Or can I go as self employed to start up? I will be working on my own for most projects and may have occasional help from my wife or brother.
I am assuming you are in Batavia, NY so my response is catered to NY.

NYS doesn't require a tree care business to be "licensed." You should however check with your county/local governments to see if they require anything further. I am quite a ways east of you, but all my county required me to do was register my business name (D.B.A. or doing business as.) If you plan to incorporate or LLC there may be different requirements. Your county clerk's office should be able to point you in the right direction.

You will need to submit an application to the state to register as a sales tax vendor, since you will be selling a taxable service.

NYS requires all employees to be covered by Workers Comp insurance, even if it's occasional, and even if it's your wife or brother. There exist exceptions to this, one of which being a partnership. If your business is structured as a partnership then the partners are not required to be covered by workers comp. Any additional employees will, however.

I used the SIG Insurance Agencies for my insurance because they are close to me and have great customer service. It may be worth contacting them as well as agencies closer to you. www.findsig.com

https://www.businessexpress.ny.gov/app/bw/startnewbusiness Use this site to create a customized business check list.

kymatt

Thank you for the reply. It’s great to have all the knowledge and support from good guys in the trade. I’m located in Ohio and probably should have stated that to start. I’ve researched and believe I’m going to go forward with setting up a llc. I contacted a few insurance agencies and found one that is going to be a good fit for the start up I’m looking for.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom