Looking for a new flipline

StevenEarley

I work in line clearance, and we’re not allowed to use wire core flips. What kind of rope flip do you think would be comparable for flipping up larger trees?

Crimsonking

Tritech is nice. I also like the half inch htp. Both are durable and stiffer than others. The tritech is thinner and lighter.

Reactions: CjM

Njdelaney

New England KM III is nice and stiff but doesn't take well to twisting. Shouldn't be an issue in the case of a flip line though I don't think.

Da Pollinator

Whatever you choose,make it or order it longer and get yo self 2 shizills and make it a double flip line.Double flip is the best thing since toilet paper!!!!!!

rico

I assume your talking about spurring up larger trees while rolling a flip-line....If so, anything smaller than 5/8" is simply the wrong tool for the job.. You need something big enough to feel good in your hands, and a rope that will be easy to roll up a trunk....Look no further than 5/8" 3 strand.....Put an eye splice on one end with your favorite snap or biner, and a back splice on the other end...

Last edited:

Crimsonking

Any good way to splice the HTP? I have about a hundred feet of it and would love to make a few lanyards out of it
I just tie scaffold knots and take care to throw my snap out of forks when I unclip my lanyard. The stiffness also helps flipping the knot out.

Crimsonking

I assume your talking about spurring up larger trees while rolling a flip-line....If so, anything smaller than 5/8" is simply the wrong tool for the job.. You need something big enough to feel good in your hands, and a rope that will be easy to roll up a trunk....Look no further than 5/8" 3 strand.....Put an eye splice on one end with your favorite snap or biner, and a back splice on the other end...

Your rhythm is mesmerizing to watch.

flushcut

For pure flip line Eric is right 5/8" hard lay 3 strand is nice real nice. Hard wearing and easy to flip. My normal flip lines are 5/8" steel core 12' and 8'. My lanyards are 1/2" KMIII. I hardly ever work around power I let the line guys do that.

rico

Yea, its tough to beat 5/8"- 7/8" 3 strand for flip-lines...Wonderful hand and rolls like a mofo (much better than wire core) once you get the proper technique....

Brocky

Any good way to splice the HTP? I have about a hundred feet of it and would love to make a few lanyards out of it
Marlow’s Vega, Teufelberger’s Drenaline SPlife, and NER’s Heavy Duty Kernmantel are some possible ways, I had success using the Vega on 10mm HTP, the cover expands enough to bury both core and cover.

rico

Not sure why anyone would want to use 10mm-12mm for flipline material..Ok for a lanyard for pruning and smaller stuff but the wrong material for a flip-line in larger trees... Just brutal on the hands/grip...

rico

Either a becket hitch or a large ring and prussic. I ran a becket for over 3 decades.. Sure its slow but, but its also utterly bulletproof....When I get into something really big I pull out my 7/8" and run a beckets. Nothing give a better sense of security and safety.....

I know Gibbs makes a rope grab that works on 3/4". That and some 3/4" 3 strand would make a killer setup for rolling up bigger trees.....

Last edited:

DSMc

We always used the becket hitch with our 7/8" cable cores but with a soft loop instead of the hard side D. The Bry-Dan harnesses that we used had a stitched up piece of 1 1/2" webbing that formed a semi-stiff loop. It was held in place by running it through one of the side Ds. Not only was this a better and more adjustable lock, being soft it did not kink the cable cores.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom