link belt atc-822

Treeline

Does anyone here have any experience with a small all terrain crane like the atc-22? I'm in the market for a crane and this seems like it would be almost perfect, only downside is 70' main boom so I'd have to use the jib every time. Even taking the jib in to account the chart is pretty impressive for a 22 ton crane, here is a link to the chart https://old.cranenetwork.com/uploads/specs/AT22 Vector Complete.pdf seems to me the chart is more similar to a 30 ton boom truck, but the compact size would get me into much tighter setups. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

-JD

Fivepoints

How do you plan to transport it? Do you already have a low boy? Most of these are 25 ish mph top speed. 10 mph up hills.

70 ft boom is to short in our area. A lot of times you can't get the jib out if its a tight setup. My cranes both have 104' main booms. I'd like more at times. Remember, its not how tall the boom is but how high it is at your working radius. Most crane picks we do are 30 to 70 ft radius. See how high that is and what it charts at those ranges. Also trees are heavy but also somewhat unpredictable. You don't want to work any where near the limit of the chart in case a pick is heavier than you thought.

One reason the chart looks good on that crane is its rated at a 9 ft radius. Most boom trucks are at a 6 ft radius. My 35 ton crane is rated at a 10 ft radius. The chart is very close to a lot of the newer 50 ton crane charts. You really have to look at the chart itself and basically ignore the ton rating to a point.

Treeline

The literature I found claims 55mph top speed. Most of my work is within a 15 mile radius of the shop so I don't see that being a problem. Most of our yards are big and I rarely have trouble getting my bucket truck to the trees. My thoughts are if my bucket truck can get to it this little crane definitely can. Most of our Removals are pines 80'-95' tall so it would be tough if the radius was anymore than 40'. I'm used to renting 40 and 70 tons so I would miss that capacity and reach. These little cranes are just so affordable its tempting.

Tr33Climb3r

That's a neat looking little crane. Did I miss what its foot print is set up and on wheels?
The crane we sub out now and then loves link belt's.

Fivepoints

That's definitely a cool little crane. In surprised it will go that fast. Most of those won't. It may be a handful to drive at speed. It would be awesome for smaller trees in tight back yards vs a bigger crane.

Have you ever deployed a jib? Its not something I'd like to do every time I used my crane. Useful when you really need it but not something you want to use on a daily basis.

Treeline

That's definitely a cool little crane. In surprised it will go that fast. Most of those won't. It may be a handful to drive at speed. It would be awesome for smaller trees in tight back yards vs a bigger crane.

Have you ever deployed a jib? Its not something I'd like to do every time I used my crane. Useful when you really need it but not something you want to use on a daily basis.
I have helped my crane guy swing the jib out on his 70 ton... not something I’d want to do every day on that crane. I was thinking it wouldn’t be as much of a pain on this little crane but maybe I’m wrong. I guess I need to go check one out and see for myself. I was hoping someone here might have had experience with one, seems like I remember reading a thread where someone said they had a similar size grove.

Merle Nelson

Would this have been original post on that Grove?

Treeline

Would this have been original post on that Grove?

Thats not the one I was thinking about, but that is a similar crane, I think its a little bit bigger than the atc-822, definitely has more main boom. I'll have to see if I can find that old thread I'm thinking about.

Treeline

So this is the one I was remembering. Looks like it was pctrees crane in there though.

Merle Nelson

Look at pctree's post #15 in that thread. If you read all he had to say in his threads I put up and are still interested in that style of crane I can put you onto a little more info about his use of it.

Also, you may be interested to know that when he bought it it was on the west coast and he paid someone to drive to his location (East coast?). AND, sadly that guy never even got it into high range gear or some such. So, I guess about anything is doable if one is committed.

Treeline

Look at pctree's post #15 in that thread. If you read all he had to say in his threads I put up and are still interested in that style of crane I can put you onto a little more info about his use of it.

Also, you may be interested to know that when he bought it it was on the west coast and he paid someone to drive to his location (East coast?). AND, sadly that guy never even got it into high range gear or some such. So, I guess about anything is doable if one is committed.
So it looks like his has 90’ of main and definitely more capacity. I’m thinking it may be worth it to spend an extra 600-700 per month to not have to swing a jib every day.

Fivepoints

With the time it takes to deploy and put up the jib if you're using it somewhat daily, the crew time will pay for a larger crane. If you figure it takes you .5 hr to deploy and stow the jib every day you use the crane, use it two days a week, and charge $200 per hour, the jib is costing you $800 per month in crew time.

Treeline

With the time it takes to deploy and put up the jib if you're using it somewhat daily, the crew time will pay for a larger crane. If you figure it takes you .5 hr to deploy and stow the jib every day you use the crane, use it two days a week, and charge $200 per hour, the jib is costing you $800 per month in crew time.
My thoughts exactly, there’s no doubt I’d have to use the jib every time I used the crane, pine trees are too tall.

Treeline

Unrelated question from original post. I demoed a used altec ac38-103 Friday. 13kish hours. Everything worked great, truck ran great my only concern was the boom had a bit of side to side wobble if you bumped the rotation real quick the boom extensions would wobble for a good 2-3 seconds. Is this something to be concerned about?

JD Hoft

Like to share my thoughts and experience As we were in a similar situation a couple years ago when we got serious about purchasing A crane.. we would lease a crane here in there for a week or a month depending on workload and what was available... last time I went to Lease a Crane was going to be a national 40 ton boom truck on a Peterbilt.. well a couple days before we were going to pick it up we got a call from the dealer saying that it was not gonna be available because it had to go in the shop but they have a 40 ton Grove TMS 500 and I can have that.. so i said sure no problem.. what an incredible difference between truck crane and a boom truck.. turning radius was fantastic outrigger spread with somewhere the area of 4 to 4 1/2 feet less than a boom truck .. chart was fantastic.. we had planned on leasing the crane for one month... Well 4 1/2 months later fortunately work was still pouring in And we had made the decision we were definitely going to purchase a crane and not a boom truck.. (which are great also but the crane truck just was a much better fit for our area and my business).. i’ve always been of the belief that a crane really shines on bigger harder jobs that you can get the crane to.. you want a machine that’s going to make a hard job a lot easier/safer/more efficient ... . not an easy job easier.. The only hangup we had with the TMS 500 was that at 95’ the boom was a little too short for our area.. so we started swinging the jib to see how that would work.. That would give us 121 feet and it was a world of difference.. So we started timing set up swing the jib break down the jib and head to the shop... Think the first time we swung it took us an hour and 15 minutes or something stupid like that just to swing it out.... But we got it dialed in after swinging it 30 times over 2.5 months or so and the best we could figure is that it costs a minimum of 70 minutes per job.. and that would be fine if the value was there in the purchase price and you had the room to swing the jib.. ultimately it was not worth it to us and over those few months I went and looked at different machines and found pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a
Grove ATS 540 with the 4 section 115’ boom and 8000 lbs of counterweight.. never looked back what a great piece of equipment... we did a lot of work with that Tms 500 and really liked that crane but in the end you just have to get over the top of the trees.. and swinging the jib all the time was not efficient enough at the price they wanted for it... now if it was 40-60k less then I could live with the extra time it takes to swing the jib.. but it does also take a lot of room to swing it also.. apologize for the long story but I hope it helps someone...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom