Line installation device

treebing

A while back there was a thread in regards to an invention that could install a line through a ring or over a branch. It worked by some sort of magic passing the line from one side of the device to the other. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Burrapeg

I have one I made that is similar to one sold for boaters to snag a mooring ring from their boat. It is called a Happy Hooker. Google: Happy Hooker Mooring Aid. The larger sizes can pass a line around a piling in a marina. I made one that will put a line around a limb up to about 5 inches in diameter. It fits on top of a pole saw pole and is removable so the pole can be used for other stuff. My Big Shot head also fits on this pole. The gadget is useful for advancing a TIP up through a cluttered conifer where the next good limb is out of reach but there is too much other crap in the way for a throw line. I will try to shoot a short video of it as soon as I get a chance.

treebing

A friend and I were discussing options for a fire department or rescue team. Options for rope installation that dont require throwing projectiles. I have a pogo that extends to 40feet. That's as high as a rookie can ever hope to throw.

Bart_

Nick Araya used to be a proponent of the Fiskars telescoping pruner with the articulating head. Its only 13 feet, but I use it to drop mini lines like 1/4" or 3/8" for fiddly limb work, either of two ways. One, tie a throw bag, set head 90 degrees, reach up over branch, rotate bag to far side, release. Bag either comes down or grab it with the pruner and pull it. Two, no throw bag, make 8", 10", 12" or whatever folds of rope at end, grab bundle with pruner, reach past branch, rotate head over far side, release loose rope to cascade back. Again, untangle or pull as necessary with pruner. I only have one custom 6foot extension I can clamp on. Pruner is about $100. You can set the head past 90 degrees and hang it in the tree. I never use the saw blade it comes with. You can also set regular lines with it restricted to about 1 rope fold and maybe need a throw bag weighting it in place over the branch.

But the dock gizmo is almost like watching a card trick. cool then and now

edit - Kevin, maybe graft a Fiskars head adapter to the pogo so you can do the reach, rotate, release routine. 90 degrees also gives you perfect grab for pull back down

cabin stuck edit - cruel fun play the video 1/4 speed. But on topic the little friction fit wheel might not take kindly to 40' climb line weight, they use it horizontally extended but you could stiffen the fit to take the weight, assuming I didn't muff up seeing how it's built.

old man eyes edit- Kevin, I mis-saw how its built. Hanging 40' rope reaching vertically up helps hold the unit together even better than the original horizontal boat operation. Forget the Fiiskars head if you can get a good one of these.

Last edited:

Jehinten

When setting a line over a limb using a pole, I tie a bowline on the end and an alpine butterfly a foot or two away. Lift it over the limb with the butterfly, then pull down on the bowline to set it.

Merle Nelson

Yes, Happy Line Hooker is cool. Pogo stick is a cool and workable tool too. Thanks Kevin. It looks very similar to rated tool carried by an electrical crew they would call a hot stick. I think I will set this up for the occasional snip without climbing and for setting a line on some of the matted trees I work.

Bart I buy those Fiscar pruners 3 at a time knowing that they are homeowner soft. First one I bought lasted a few years - but, I wouldn't want to be without them for ornamental pruning. (Thanks Nick A.) Now I know what to do with the old carcass I've been saving for parts.

theatertech87

When setting a line over a limb using a pole, I tie a bowline on the end and an alpine butterfly a foot or two away. Lift it over the limb with the butterfly, then pull down on the bowline to set it.
I thought I was the only one to figure that out... I upgraded the bowline to a steel rigging carabineer...

On topic, there's also some options from the Rock climbing world that will hold a carabineer open and allow you to remotely clip into something if that's your goal (only thing I can think of for a use is a remotely set Zipline)

Bart_

Just to point out, the 90 degree rotate over method requires you to only clear the branch by about 1" so you get all the reach possible from your telescoping system. And often you're blocked from reaching past the target, with just enough clearance to pivot in and over. And you can snip the annoying water sprout rope blockers then set rope with same tool. Or snip them to get the rope back clean. 2 cents extra

Except for being extra gear, the hooker system looks neater the longer I think about it.

Burrapeg

The stainless steel Happy Hooker is about $710 for those that are curious. The smaller, plastic one is about $75 and looks pretty cheesy.
Yeah, I balked at buying one so I whittled out a foundry pattern and cast up one in aluminium, using melted down bicycle parts and such. Will try to get some photos and/or video soon. Works great and is very light weight.

Merle Nelson

Yes a lot of tools are only occasional use. But man, the time and effort saved on that occasion.

Tell us if you want to cast multiples Burrapeg, otherwise it's plastic for me.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom