Lift for crane removals.

Treeline

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this question and the lift subject has been debated more than probably anything else on this site but I am wanting to target the crane guys specifically. I am considering purchasing a taller lift or truck to work in tandem with my crane on removals. Right now I have a 60’ wh bucket. 90% of our removals are pines, 85-110’ tall. So obviously we do a lot of climbing. I do all of the climbing and one of my guys runs the crane. But I am trying to get my crew to the point where I don’t have to be on every job. In my area good climbers and employees in general are rare. So I’m wanting to get a lift (easier to train a lift op than a climber). I love the nifty sd64 and have demoed one, but I’m concerned it still won’t have the height needed to rig tops of the tall pines we have. That leaves spider lifts which I’m concerned about the slow speed, or I’m looking into a double elevator utility bucket, 105’. I’d greatly appreciate any experience you guys could share.

VenasNursery

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this question and the lift subject has been debated more than probably anything else on this site but I am wanting to target the crane guys specifically. I am considering purchasing a taller lift or truck to work in tandem with my crane on removals. Right now I have a 60’ wh bucket. 90% of our removals are pines, 85-110’ tall. So obviously we do a lot of climbing. I do all of the climbing and one of my guys runs the crane. But I am trying to get my crew to the point where I don’t have to be on every job. In my area good climbers and employees in general are rare. So I’m wanting to get a lift (easier to train a lift op than a climber). I love the nifty sd64 and have demoed one, but I’m concerned it still won’t have the height needed to rig tops of the tall pines we have. That leaves spider lifts which I’m concerned about the slow speed, or I’m looking into a double elevator utility bucket, 105’. I’d greatly appreciate any experience you guys could share.
We love our 83HD Arbor Pro
But I’ve heard mostly good things about all the lifts
But All Access have been awesome to deal with from the lift and we had a truck uplifted for the lift
As far as speed goes it’s pretty fast with 3 functions at once
Still not as fast as a bucket but more efficient with with more ways to maneuver so it’s a toss up

Treeline

We love our 83HD Arbor Pro
But I’ve heard mostly good things about all the lifts
But All Access have been awesome to deal with from the lift and we had a truck uplifted for the lift
As far as speed goes it’s pretty fast with 3 functions at once
Still not as fast as a bucket but more efficient with with more ways to maneuver so it’s a toss up
That’s the main spider I’ve looked at, it seems to be the most popular unit for sure. I wish it was easier to demo this kind of equipment before you buy. If we ever get to actually attend another tcia expo in person again I’d love to see them have an outdoor demo area to try new equipment.

VenasNursery

That’s the main spider I’ve looked at, it seems to be the most popular unit for sure. I wish it was easier to demo this kind of equipment before you buy. If we ever get to actually attend another tcia expo in person again I’d love to see them have an outdoor demo area to try new equipment.
Call them they will work something out for you

2019 TCIA Pittsburgh is where we did yours

they might have customers close to you also if not looks like you’re not that far from them

OasisTree

I currently run a Nifty SD64, It works great in our market but then we dont have the tall trees you have. I love the ground speed and the simplicity of the unit. If I would get a taller unit I would probably get a Dino, they are set up very similar and have a 90' version. I have demoed the narrow access spiders, they all seem a bit delicate.

We crane a lot of big trees, even the 64' is good till your tree heights get above 80'.

treebilly

I could see a spider lift being beneficial. A few of my competitors use them for crane work a lot. We just run buckets. I find those to get in the way and I’m better off climbing the removal with a crane.

I just demo'd a 72 at Top Notch in Minneapolis yesterday.

Lumberjack

I currently run a Nifty SD64, It works great in our market but then we dont have the tall trees you have. I love the ground speed and the simplicity of the unit. If I would get a taller unit I would probably get a Dino, they are set up very similar and have a 90' version. I have demoed the narrow access spiders, they all seem a bit delicate.

We crane a lot of big trees, even the 64' is good till your tree heights get above 80'.

The SD64 gets to 70’ working height inside a 12’ working radius.

An SD85 would be very interesting, to me.

Treeline

The SD64 gets to 70’ working height inside a 12’ working radius.

An SD85 would be very interesting, to me.
That’s what I’d like to see come out. I’ve reached out to my nearest Dino dealer and it’s been 3 weeks with no response. The nifty is ideal just not tall enough for crane rigging. A sd85 would be the ticket.

oceans

How’s the speed? Does it feel fragile?
Speed is almost too fast at the outer edge of the chart. It feels slow when you are just beginning to deploy everything near the center of your chart. Hope that makes sense. I use the analogy of a bicycle wheel spinning...you can read the words on the hub but never the words on the tire. I’m not sure if any manufacturer has released a unit with proportional flow based on location in chart. Essentially they all act that way.

It’s as solid and rugged as you could ask for. Again, look at any knuckle boom crane or boom that telescopes...there is a certain amount of flex that has to be expected. How else can you pack all that working height and side teach into such a small package that fits through a small fence gate? I’ll put it this way, when working on windy days, the tree is always moving much more that the Lift.

oceans

You have to meet the machine, but you also have to meet the sales and support staff. To me, that’s equally important when making a purchase like a Lift.

Merle Nelson

I've spent an hour or two taking down a tree in the Easy Lift 70 footer and then went and tried the Easy Lift 87 at a sales demo. I was surprised the 87 was far more stable (less whippy) at full reach. They said booms are contoured differently.

VenasNursery

I've spent an hour or two taking down a tree in the Easy Lift 70 footer and then went and tried the Easy Lift 87 at a sales demo. I was surprised the 87 was far more stable (less whippy) at full reach. They said booms are contoured differently.
Each model from all the manufacturers seem to be constructed differently

oceans

Each model from all the manufacturers seem to be constructed differently
Contour, for sure. Also, the size and orientation of the sliders that prevent metal on metal contact. Some are even adjustable as they wear. Some get loose and simply need replacement. Hours on the machine and how it has been used may contribute...even if it gets regular grease. It all adds up.

Treeline

Speed is almost too fast at the outer edge of the chart. It feels slow when you are just beginning to deploy everything near the center of your chart. Hope that makes sense. I use the analogy of a bicycle wheel spinning...you can read the words on the hub but never the words on the tire. I’m not sure if any manufacturer has released a unit with proportional flow based on location in chart. Essentially they all act that way.

It’s as solid and rugged as you could ask for. Again, look at any knuckle boom crane or boom that telescopes...there is a certain amount of flex that has to be expected. How else can you pack all that working height and side teach into such a small package that fits through a small fence gate? I’ll put it this way, when working on windy days, the tree is always moving much more that the Lift.
That makes perfect sense about the speed. Just like a bucket truck Or even a crane seems to move faster when you’re boomed down a good bit.

oceans

Ahh, didn't know that about the sliders.
I like adjustables but I haven’t seen them on much but for the sides of a boom section. The top and bottom slides are mostly fixed and swapped out when needed. But it’s the side ones that account for how “flexy” a boom feels. The down pressure is so constant, but side to side flex can much more easily happen.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom