Let's talk hardhats

I'm currently rocking a kask zenith non vented hardhat. I've had it for years and It's about due for an upgrade. 3m has a new hardhat, the x5000. Looks pretty interesting. I'd love to hear everyones experiences with what they use and why they like what they have. The kask has its flaws in my opinion. My safety glasses push against my head because of where the suspension sits. You can't just buy a new suspension for it, which is a bummer compared to the petzls. My earmuff slots are lose and will occasionally result in a dropped muff.

I use a regular 3m hardhad and earmuffs i got from amazon. Safety glasses fit good. Never had it fall off. Maybe not the most for protection tho. I was looking at the new 3m one too. My cheap 3m hardhat is holding up great so i may get that one since they seem to be built good.

Reach

I wear a Petzl Alveo Vent, usually. I have a couple other Petzl hats too, and have long been a fan of how they fit on me, and how light they are. My other climbers all seem to prefer Protos though.

Crimsonking

If you don’t need e-rating, the ansi protos is a great option. It adjusts much better to my head than the kask, though not as easily (which is the trade off in general, I believe- convenient adjustment vs tailored adjustment). The face screen is designed better than any other I’ve used- it rotates up and back when lifted, rather than up and forward like most. This means it has less forward projection to conflict with brush while climbing. The muffs’ compression is adjustable, and of course they’re low profile and stow underneath the shell. The one negative is that occasionally the shell has gotten snagged on a twig because of its increased size to accommodate the muffs. I wouldn’t trade it back for a kask or Petzl.

marne

Another vote for the protos, it's comfy like a wool hood, well vented and a breeze to take on/off. Got it 3 years now fulltime and no sign of wear.

Two small drawbacks:
In the top center, there is a foam stripe it's comfy but depending on your hairstyle, after a while you look like the prodigy in their firestarter clip.
The earmuffs while beeing rated to industrial standard don't protect from noise very well, bc they are too slim to fit under the helmet.
I solved this by replacing the foam rings with fatter ones and dampened them with a thin layer of alubuylen. When using the biggest machines all day I just swap the muffs to 3m x5, which fit the protos but won't slide under the helmet.
Anyway would buy another one in a heartbeat.

dsptech

Another vote for the protos, it's comfy like a wool hood, well vented and a breeze to take on/off. Got it 3 years now fulltime and no sign of wear.

Two small drawbacks:
In the top center, there is a foam stripe it's comfy but depending on your hairstyle, after a while you look like the prodigy in their firestarter clip.
The earmuffs while beeing rated to industrial standard don't protect from noise very well, bc they are too slim to fit under the helmet.
I solved this by replacing the foam rings with fatter ones and dampened them with a thin layer of alubuylen. When using the biggest machines all day I just swap the muffs to 3m x5, which fit the protos but won't slide under the helmet.
Anyway would buy another one in a heartbeat.
I'll add my vote too.
I've only had mine for a couple of months and wore the kask prior.
The first time I put this helmet on (straight form the box) I thought they must adjust these helmets at the factory on some poor sucker that got stuck with the same size melon as mine.
Fit like it was tailored for me.
No side to side wobble and the muffs fits snug to my ears.
So dam comfortable and though the muffs have a thinner profile they sound quieter than the thicker muffs on the Kask.
The Kask doesn't allow the muffs to fit tight and snug at all.
The only downsides I think it has is the wider profile takes getting used to.
It seems like it takes away from your rear peripheral view.
Also, the metal mesh visor is nice and low profile but when tapped or it comes in contact with something it pings throughout the helmet like a bell.
Need to come up with a way to isolate it so the sound doesn't radiate though the dome. :p

Tr33Climb3r

The 3M helmets are pretty comfy. Great quality. Magnetic chin clasp.
Obviously the 3M ear protection muff options fit snug. There is a visor option along with an option to get glasses that flip up into the brim. Lots of options for this helmet!

dsptech

The 3M helmets are pretty comfy. Great quality. Magnetic chin clasp.
Obviously the 3M ear protection muff options fit snug. There is a visor option along with an option to get glasses that flip up into the brim. Lots of options for this helmet!
The Protos also has a magnetic chin strap and you can add glasses that flip up under the brim ( I have them on mine).
You can order prescription lenses for the glasses as well.

IMG_20200229_014415.jpg

CanadianStan

If you don’t need e-rating, the ansi protos is a great option. It adjusts much better to my head than the kask, though not as easily (which is the trade off in general, I believe- convenient adjustment vs tailored adjustment). The face screen is designed better than any other I’ve used- it rotates up and back when lifted, rather than up and forward like most. This means it has less forward projection to conflict with brush while climbing. The muffs’ compression is adjustable, and of course they’re low profile and stow underneath the shell. The one negative is that occasionally the shell has gotten snagged on a twig because of its increased size to accommodate the muffs. I wouldn’t trade it back for a kask or Petzl.
I love my protos a lot.

Attachments

If they made an unvented e rated protos, would it be extremely hot and uncomfortable??? Most of the time I need an E rated brainbucket. Just wish the protos was in both e and c

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom