Leave rope out for months

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Critters as in neighbor kids as well!

The other thing to keep in mind, is you can't inspect it before you climb on it. If I tree rat (squirrel) did chew on it, you might not see that from the ground until you are hanging off of it.
They fucking will. I've seen them ripping fibers from old 3 strand to build nests.

moss

I have a friend who wishes to make a rather permanent rope installation in one of his trees.

How will an SRT rope like patron tree access last if it's left in a tree for many months (https://www.teufelberger.com/en/patron-treeaccess.html)?

Wind and rain might not be a problem but what about the sun?

What is the purpose of the rope installation?

For any kind of longer term rope installation you (your friend) should use a core dependent only kernmantle line. Teufelberger Patron looks like the cover shares the load so not a good choice for a longer term install. The cover on a core dependent kernmantle will protect the core from UV damage and abrasion. There should be cambium/rope protection where the rope contacts the tree. There should be a regular inspection schedule. Rodents chew on rope fibers when salts from human sweat contact the rope. The rope should be handled with gloves on to prevent salts from depositing and attracting rodents.
-AJ

Mwelander

What is the purpose of the rope installation?

For any kind of longer term rope installation you (your friend) should use a core dependent only kernmantle line. Teufelberger Patron looks like the cover shares the load so not a good choice for a longer term install. The cover on a core dependent kernmantle will protect the core from UV damage and abrasion. There should be cambium/rope protection where the rope contacts the tree. There should be a regular inspection schedule. Rodents chew on rope fibers when salts from human sweat contact the rope. The rope should be handled with gloves on to prevent salts from depositing and attracting rodents.
-AJ
Purpose as described here https://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/rock-climbing-harness-in-the-tree.42624/

Mwelander

From your reports, I think perhaps a wiser way to go would be an easy to use basal anchor and an SRT rope with spliced eye, that way he can

1.easily pull the climbing rope up using a throwline or other cheap placeholder line
2. Attach anchor to spliced end with a carabiner (he is not used to tying knots)
3. Reverse the process once done climbing.

What would be your recommendation for a user friendly basal anchor to clip into, considering no knot or actual treeclimbing expertise? (he will be ascending on a ladder, removing slack as he goes, the rope is merely a fall protection)

Chaplain242

Could just keep a cheap poly 3-strand in tree the swap when want to. I use that when a job goes over a day and need to use TiP next day.

Attachments

• 28E84E8D-CDC7-4182-96B5-945E51F091A5.jpeg
    28E84E8D-CDC7-4182-96B5-945E51F091A5.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 8

climbstihl

We have ropes up in trees for up to two years with almost no issues in our adventure parks, we have had one instance where a squirrel chewed on one, but we usually have two parallel lines to have redundancy anyway. We exclusively use kernmantle static line. I've ascended on one where the entire cover was rubbed through by a steel cable, this was because somebody who didn't know what they were doing hung the rope so it rubs on that. But it still lasted at least a year.

@mosd Teufelberger Patron is a kernmantle line, where do you get the information that it shares load with the cover?

moss

@mosd Teufelberger Patron is a kernmantle line, where do you get the information that it shares load with the cover?

I was guessing, I looked at their spec for Patron and couldn't find any reference to the specific construction. They call it a semi-static which is typically a double-braid line but I believe you ;-)
-AJ

Reactions: ATH

climbstihl

I was guessing, I looked at their spec for Patron and couldn't find any reference to the specific construction. They call it a semi-static which is typically a double-braid line but I believe you ;-)
-AJ
Oh, ok. semi-static is the same as static in my experience, maybe it's a european thing. I just got a hank of 10.5mm patron, it comes with the standard manual for kermantle ropes.

Reactions: ATH

Burrapeg

When I first started climbing in my own trees a few years ao, I left a couple of lines up all the time (Tachyon Ash). One day I heard a squirrel up there fussing at me when I walked up to the tree. The little bugger was sitting right on top of one of the ropes and when I climbed up there and looked, he had chewed on it. So I bought a roll of paracord off eBay and use that to 'bookmark' various favourite trees. A big roll is usually not very expensive; I think I paid about $40. and I bought stuff that was dark coloured so I could also use it here and there for other trees that are not my own (it is almost invisible when you back off a ways). It also holds up very well when left out in the elements for extended periods of time, yet is more or less expendable if something does happen to it. Here is a typical sale for a 600 ft roll:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom