Knot for hanging tire swing?

samsquatch

Howdy gang.
I got a customer that wants a tire swing installed. What’s the best arbor-friendly way to tie the rope to the tree branch? Should I worry about a running bowline constricting the cambium if left there for several years?
I plan to use a cambium saver, garden hose material more than likely.
Cheers

Jonny

I used to have one at my old house in a silver maple, I just threw a rope over a branch, and through the tire and tied a regular bowline. Just a loop of rope with a branch and tire captured in it.
When we moved I just untied it, didn’t have to climb and no worries about constriction.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Talk to your liability insurance agent first. Be careful

that said...I did some swing building. I bought heavy yellow webbing slings from a construction supply house. 20k breaking strength or some such. Add a Delta screw link or shackle with a secure locking pin. I double wrapped the sling to allow for growth and to choke to sling to keep it from walking.

my fav termination is a double fisherman’s on the delta/shackle. Leave enough tail so you can whip/seize the tail of the rope.

take plenty of pics of the installation

Send copies to your client and file yours. CYA

flushcut

I would not install a tire swing for anybody but my immediate family. And I mean my two daughters.

I know a guy who was sued for installing a swing that was modified by the home owner after installation and somebody got hurt. Even tho it was found he was not liable he still payed out several tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and court costs. Not to mention loss of income and stress over the situation.

Phil

Don't forget the UV ray breakdown of fabric/fibers over time, wildlife potentially chewing and other odd forms of structural degradation. This for me is one of those "friends and family" type jobs. I would however use a swivel to connect the tire to the support line. I have a large oak in my back yard that I left a throwline in. When we wanted to use the swing I just pulled up a line with a 3:1 installed at the end of it. Anchored the support line to a porta wrap and off to the races. I didn't use a tire, just my daughter in her harness. Same concept though. The 3:1 allowed me to get her to any height she wanted to swing. The friction hitch was anchored in the portawrap so I had the control to raise and lower her. Neighbors gave us some funny looks as I'm wiping her around 20 feet off the ground haha.

Tony

My .02

Install an Eye bolt, back stay it at the top if applicable. Put a piece of EHS cable from eye bolt to a height at which the home owner can replace any cordage from a step ladder. That way the cordage section can be replaced at regular intervals. You may want to consider a swivel at the cordage connection point depending on the swing type.

I would also second only doing this for friends and family.

Tony

Phil

My .02

Install an Eye bolt, back stay it at the top if applicable. Put a piece of EHS cable from eye bolt to a height at which the home owner can replace any cordage from a step ladder. That way the cordage section can be replaced at regular intervals. You may want to consider a swivel at the cordage connection point depending on the swing type.

I would also second only doing this for friends and family.

Tony
Why even bother using cordage at all? Connect the tire to the ehs cable with chain. Just because we're arborists doesn't mean we have to solve every problem with rope. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go to confession to clean my soul of the sins I have just muttered.

Tony

Why even bother using cordage at all? Connect the tire to the ehs cable with chain. Just because we're arborists doesn't mean we have to solve every problem with rope. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go to confession to clean my soul of the sins I have just muttered.
I’d use the cordage simply becasue it has a better hand.

Tony

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Better sleeve the chain if you don’t want little fingers pinched/broken.

stop for a moment.

How many times to we get our undies in a bundle if anyone but a trained ‘arborist’ dares cut a limb? Now arbos are swinging into building playground toys without seeing how play structures are built?! Every municipality that has play structures is mandated to have them built To Industry Standards and inspected by Certified Inspectors. You can bet if there is ever a lawsuit any nickel or dime lawyer will hold up those standards to win a case

climbstihl

stop for a moment.

How many times to we get our undies in a bundle if anyone but a trained ‘arborist’ dares cut a limb? Now arbos are swinging into building playground toys without seeing how play structures are built?! Every municipality that has play structures is mandated to have them built To Industry Standards and inspected by Certified Inspectors. You can bet if there is ever a lawsuit any nickel or dime lawyer will hold up those standards to win a case
Here in Germany chains are standard on playground swings. Probably mainly for longevity and tamperproofing reasons. But I know regulations are quite strict for potential spots one could injure themselves at.

flushcut

stop for a moment.

Right! We have enough liability in our day to day operations that we can control to a degree, barring a failure of some sort, now hang a swing and walk away and let somebody else be in charge? No way.

KevinS

So sitting out here after work and I remembered this thread. I commented earlier but had forgotten the setup I did for my wife.
I threw into a decent union and set up a good old fashioned becket bend On a brass bull snap and taught line with the tail closed system for a 40’ sway. Works great remote setup.

BE7274F6-872D-4228-9FA5-D9AF72D5BFFA.jpeg

evo

If your wanting something that looks pro, go with Wesspur dynamic cabling. Buy a sling delta and their cabling rope and be done.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom