Knee ascender - difficulty with staying upright

JMB6

Hi,
Just tried Petzl knee ascender plus Zigzag and Notch foot ascender and cannot stay upright. Is it always so difficult to stay upright?
I suppose it’s my extra pounds that make it so difficult for me.
Just curious if staying upright is challenging for everyone .
thanks.

Dan Cobb

If you can find one, you may want to try a chest roller. I use mine on ascent, with a RRP floating along between the chest roller and knee ascender. I can climb hands free with that arrangement since the roller keeps me upright. Once in the canopy, I usually pop the roller off the rope and don't use it further. BTW, I'm climbing SRT.

Jehinten

It's really about technique, I'm a larger guy at over 260 and I stay upright with no additional hardware besides a multicender (usually roperunner) SAKA and pantin. Like all good things it takes some practice to get there but is worth it once you learn the technique.

For what its worth, your arms should help hold you upright but should not be lifting your body. That's a job for your legs. Overwork your arms on ascent and they won't do as well at keeping you upright.

There are some videos on YouTube that show ropewalking techniques, I know @Richard Mumford-yoyoman had some among other channels.

alexanderowen

Hi,
Just tried Petzl knee ascender plus Zigzag and Notch foot ascender and cannot stay upright. Is it always so difficult to stay upright?
thanks.
Haven’t used it myself but PMI makes a chest roller

Simpleiowaguy

Hi,
thanks.
I weigh in at over 300lbs with gear on. While I can go up the line easily now, two things helped me out when starting out. Neither one really requires any extra gear. Both are methods that I used when I first starting.

1. You can take your flipline and run it across your back, over your shoulder and clip it to your line while ascending. (adjust for how close you want to be)
2. Put a twist in a long runner forming a x and put it on basically like a backpack. Put a carabiner through the two loops in front of you and clip it to the line.

Jackohh1412

If you can find one, you may want to try a chest roller. I use mine on ascent, with a RRP floating along between the chest roller and knee ascender. I can climb hands free with that arrangement since the roller keeps me upright. Once in the canopy, I usually pop the roller off the rope and don't use it further. BTW, I'm climbing SRT.
That’s the most gangster shit I’ve read all night I want to try a chest roller just to be a smart ass at work now forget it’s functionality and practical usage

Jackohh1412

@Dan Cobb can you send a name of the chest roller deal ypur talking about here? No clue what it is is it compatible with a wrench I recently got a tether with a tending point so in my head I’m clearly moving up in the world.

Dan Cobb

@Dan Cobb can you send a name of the chest roller deal ypur talking about here? No clue what it is is it compatible with a wrench I recently got a tether with a tending point so in my head I’m clearly moving up in the world.
I'm thinking it will be hard to fit a wrench and hitch on the rope between your knee ascender and the roller. It might not tend well either. Maybe someone who has tried it can tell us about their experience. However, it is an option to not put the wrench and/or hitch on the rope until after you ascend. Could be possible to have the wrench and hitch above the roller, but that would probably require an extension that might need to be removed after ascending, which would require getting in a stable position on your lanyard to reconfigure. I usually use a handled ascender tethered to my bridge on ascent; that prevents inverting in the event of a roller failure. The handled ascender can oriented so the chest roller pushes it up the rope to be completely hands free.

Burrapeg

Type of saddle makes a huge difference. Some are more adjustable at the suspension points than others. I weigh 180 and am a bit top heavy like a lot of older guys. I used a PMI chest roller to stay upright until I upgraded to an NT Onyx saddle. After getting it dialed in, I have never needed the roller again except when using my other saddles or lending them to someone climbing with me who needs it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom