Karabiner research

NickfromWI

Great stuff! I didn't read it all yet, but already like what I see. I noticed it claimed (maybe it was in section 5) that the petzl ball locks were the most secure carabiners tested. Good thing that's what I'm using.

love
nick

jon

A short time ago, I thought there was a warning or recall put out on the ball locks because of their tendancy to fail. Has anyone else heard about this, or did I just make it up in a dream one night?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Excellent project. It confirmed some of the principles that I use. Paolo suggested that it is better to use an assymetrical d-biner with a really wide top like a Mongoose or some other HMS style if we're going to attach more than one rope to the biner.

The paper suggested using some kind of Teflon based lube for biners. Does anyone have a favorite brand of lube/solvent?

I wonder if an ultrasonic parts cleaner would work to get inside all of the nooks and crannies. They're using them in industrial applications to clean machine parts it seems like there might be a use for us. The cost may be prohibitive. If I could find a company that has one and "rent" tank time, it could be beneficial. When I searched the Web I found a 1.5 gallon tank unit for $250. That means that I would have to clean about 12 biners to pay for the unit.

ptar

Tom types:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I wonder if an ultrasonic parts cleaner would work to get inside all of the nooks and crannies. They're using them in industrial applications to clean machine parts it seems like there might be a use for us. The cost may be prohibitive. If I could find a company that has one and "rent" tank time, it could be beneficial. When I searched the Web I found a 1.5 gallon tank unit for $250. That means that I would have to clean about 12 biners to pay for the unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? $70-80
Some of them look large enough to handle a carabiner.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom