ISO 75 Foot Bucket Truck

ROYCE

So, I am looking to purchase a 75 foot bucket truck by the end of the year. I am getting some prices for brand new/ Brand new lift with used truck. But, I want to look at some used ones as well. If anyone knows of a goos used 75 footer please send them my way.
Also, Thoughts on this one? I know many say this place is terrible to buy from....but...give me your thoughts. Also, if looking at used what should I be looking for in regards to wear points. I believe the pins in the elevator need to be replaced at certain hours.

http://www.schmidysmachinery.com/truck-inventory/category/forestry-trucks-and-off-road-equipment/profile/2007-freightliner-m2-business-class-14-ft-flatbed-75-ft-work-height-lift-all-rear-mount-elevator-model-boom

flyingsquirrel25

Royce, check out Tristate forestry equipment's Facebook page. He has a few that look good from the pictures. I haven't gone up to look because I'm not quite in the market. If you found something you liked I could run up and glance at it before you took the 6hr ride!

flyingsquirrel25

Also, Thoughts on this one? I know many say this place is terrible to buy from....but...give me your thoughts. Also, if looking at used what should I be looking for in regards to wear points. I believe the pins in the elevator need to be replaced at certain hours.

http://www.schmidysmachinery.com/truck-inventory/category/forestry-trucks-and-off-road-equipment/profile/2007-freightliner-m2-business-class-14-ft-flatbed-75-ft-work-height-lift-all-rear-mount-elevator-model-boom
Seems like lots of dollars for a well used truck. Says pintle hitch, but I'm still looking for it. Nice new paint, but looks like the right rear corner has some deformities as well as the drivers side fender. I'm not familiar with the lift all lift and what issues they had/have. It would require lots of photos before spending the $$$ on traveling to inspect.

Merle Nelson

I googled schmidysmachinery and looked it over a bit. Then I prefaced it with "problems with" and searched again. Lots of interesting reading.

It wouldn't be hard to find some of the people listed there, call them up and find out if their stories sound about right or not.

tc262

I'd have to get one hell of a deal to buy from one of the two dealers that were mentioned already in this thread. Just remember when you buy from one of the groups that in the past have been proven time and time again to not stand behind the products they sell, once you roll out of the lot it's your turd and there's no turning back.

Jeff

When we switched several years back from a 60' mid mount to a 75' rear mount, everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE we talked to said the same things:
A) You'll love it!
B) You won't know how you ever did tree work before having it.
C) You'll NEVER go back!
D) It doesn't matter how many $ millions you spend on it - you'll quickly say "It was worth it"

You know what? They were right! It is such an unbelievable game changer (at least in our market) that we still get stupid silly giggles just from some of the things we can accomplish with it. Point being, we were really shopping on a budget, trying to keep it in that $75k to $90k range. And within 6 months of getting it, it was agreed that if it died, we'd just buy a new one for $160k and say "Who cares?", because it's worth every penny of it.

They are somewhat harder to find, but if you follow Tree Trader, there is usually a nice looking one every 2 or 3 months in the $75 to $100k range. You just have to move fast to get them.

Last edited:

802climber

Royce I would consider going thru FEVA etc or watching the private sales on Tree Trader. While they are tempting, most of the units at Schmidys etc are JJ Kane specials and were specced out by the line clearance companies to be as cheap as possible and flipped in 7 years. Not necessarily what you or me would want to own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYAPLE

6 speed with all those hills..... truck is 10yrs old already...that being said our newest truck (2013 550) gives us the most problems. It depends what the price of the brand-new ones are. I thought they were like 120 turns out I was wrong. I will never buy equipment from either of those places based solely on what I've read on this website. @markprz has a pretty miserable bucket truck story...and I'm sure he loves when I re-open that "wound" (sorry buddy hehe) good luck Royce

ROYCE

Thanks guys! That is what I wanted to hear. Just needed some re-assurance that it was a mistake to purchase from them. Yeah @KYAPLE a new bucket truck is 177,500 with out any add on's or painting it company colors. So, after tax, insurance, registration, and paint your looking at close to 200K.
My bucket is a 1992. I am looking into a few smaller then 75 footers because of the price of the new ones, and the almost impossible ability to buy a decent used one.

ROYCE

Royce I would consider going thru FEVA etc or watching the private sales on Tree Trader. While they are tempting, most of the units at Schmidys etc are JJ Kane specials and were specced out by the line clearance companies to be as cheap as possible and flipped in 7 years. Not necessarily what you or me would want to own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! That is what I have been finding. How do you like your aerial lift? I have my eyes on a few of them at a pretty decent price. Not a 75 footer, but defiantly a step up from our current bucket truck.

802climber

Thanks! That is what I have been finding. How do you like your aerial lift? I have my eyes on a few of them at a pretty decent price. Not a 75 footer, but defiantly a step up from our current bucket truck.
I love my ALC. It is simple and reliable. Definitely sucks though at first if you're used to running a more modern lift. The ALC's were actually available with elevators but they are rare and very hard to find nowadays. I have ran a lot of pistol grip trucks and now actually prefer the levers of the ALC, or my wrists do, rather. If you get one make sure the cylinder rods and drive cables have been updated. One downfall with the ALC is that you now have to get hosed on parts through Altec.

I saw a SWEET 4x4 75' in the Tree Trader from Marquis Tree (?) back in the summer, but it was almost as expensive as a brand new FEVA truck, IIRC.

ROYCE

I love my ALC. It is simple and reliable. Definitely sucks though at first if you're used to running a more modern lift. The ALC's were actually available with elevators but they are rare and very hard to find nowadays. I have ran a lot of pistol grip trucks and now actually prefer the levers of the ALC, or my wrists do, rather. If you get one make sure the cylinder rods and drive cables have been updated. One downfall with the ALC is that you now have to get hosed on parts through Altec.

I saw a SWEET 4x4 75' in the Tree Trader from Marquis Tree (?) back in the summer, but it was almost as expensive as a brand new FEVA truck, IIRC.
Good info. I am taking a ride north to look at this truck hopefully this weekend. I believe they are trying to unload it before they have to do any repairs to the cylinders or cables. Any idea what that would cost to do? Any ida where that can be done around here?
Also, I heard that Northern Tree was selling aerial lift parts. Is that true? Might be cheaper than altec.

http://vermont.craigslist.org/hvo/5849056276.html

tc262

image.jpeg I blew the motor up in my rear mount this summer and rented a sd50 for a month, wanted a sd64 but they were all out. I had to drive about an hour and a half to pick it up but was worth it. I really think I will buy either a sd50 or 64 when I'm ready to replace my bucket truck! See if you can find a place near you to rent and give it a try. Place I'm using was $1900 a month.

ROYCE

I demoed a lift today. It was a smaller nifty lift. Thing was slow!!! Granted not a fair comparison to the larger units. I keep going back and forth about the lift or bucket truck. The reality is I need both, and I am being serious.

Jasonk

I would try to drive the price down and buy that elevator. The added height is worth it long term and allows you to do things you just can't do with a standard lift. Also, that trucks pre emissions which is a home run! If you get get it for $100-110k I'd say do it. Then you could always sell your older bucket and replace with a lift?

ROYCE

I would try to drive the price down and buy that elevator. The added height is worth it long term and allows you to do things you just can't do with a standard lift. Also, that trucks pre emissions which is a home run! If you get get it for $100-110k I'd say do it. Then you could always sell your older bucket and replace with a lift?
That elevator has been for sale a long time. It looks to be in excellent shape. I might try and see if I can't talk them down. Personally I feel that is too much money for a truck of that year. I would pull the trigger on that one for 110K.
My bucket truck is just not reliable enough for us, I need something a little newer. Plus the 75 foot height would match up excellent with out crane:)

tc262

I demoed a lift today. It was a smaller nifty lift. Thing was slow!!! Granted not a fair comparison to the larger units. I keep going back and forth about the lift or bucket truck. The reality is I need both, and I am being serious.
Ground speed that thing is a rocket! But yes it's a little slow in the air. Might just be me but it did seem faster than the trailer mounted units with the little gas motors I've used before. That one has a little Kubota diesel in it.

802climber

Good info. I am taking a ride north to look at this truck hopefully this weekend. I believe they are trying to unload it before they have to do any repairs to the cylinders or cables. Any idea what that would cost to do? Any ida where that can be done around here?
Also, I heard that Northern Tree was selling aerial lift parts. Is that true? Might be cheaper than altec.

http://vermont.craigslist.org/hvo/5849056276.html
I used to see that Barretts truck everywhere when we lived up there! Not sure about the cables but the cylinder rods are like a 6k job at a shop such as CUES in NH. That is to do both rods.