ISC Rigging Rope Wrench recommendations

RyanCafferky

Curious what rope folks are using with this device and what weights you try to put on to make it so the piece will actually drop. I tried it the other day when rigging a few pieces of a pine and they didn’t drop at all. I had to manually pull the rope to get the piece to go down. I was using the one with the one way pulley and the rope I was using was 1/2” Sterling Atlas. I currently have it paired with Teufelberger 1/2” and that seems to run better but curious what other folks are using and their results and recommendations. If the recommendation is to put it on Treebay I am open to that as well but would like to give it a chance if I can get it to function.

JeffGu

The RnW with the one-way sheave adds more friction from the sheave on lowering. I'm not sure how much weight will get it going, but I'm guessing it's close to 100 lbs. with that one. Rope friction varies a LOT with them. The Atlas and 16-strand climbing lines have more friction, and 12-strand ropes have less. 24-strand, 11mm to 11.8mm climbing lines have even less.

It takes some practice, but you can fairly quickly eyeball a piece and tell, with a given rope, if it will move down on its own or not... if not, use loop runners and put two or three pieces on it before lowering. Smaller pieces in a pine, you'll have to this, for sure. Even with the original RW with Pinto Rig pulley one, I quite often have to do this with small pieces. I usually use the (very cheap) 12-strand ropes when cutting small pieces or very light wood.

If you have a chop-and-drop job, it's worth spending some time at the end to hang the thing off a fairly low limb and hook various size pieces to it. Raise them up and drop them to get a feel on how big they need to be, and how big is too much to handle. One person can lower bigger pieces than they can actually lift, so you might need two people to raise a piece big enough to figure out what one of you can lower safely.

With mechanical advantage between the RnW and the load, you can lower even bigger stuff... but it will have to be pretty big just to get it moving. Using Omni-Block pulleys in a 2:1 or 3:1 setup, I've lowered stuff around 300+ pounds from in the tree. With 3:1 you can probably lower a 500-lb. piece and still be within the SWL of the rope, but I haven't tried anything that big. The mechanical advantage has to be AFTER the RnW, toward the load, because the device itself isn't rated for loads that big, but the pulleys and the rope are.

Merle Nelson

Looking forward to seeing more info on this cool tool too. Barring enough info and ideas for how to employ it intelligently/efficiently I always go with some other tried and true method that will just get the job done.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom