Is there a Silky folding saw that folds and stays folded?

colb

Our gomboy flops open about an inch or two while locked in the folded position. The TreeStuff video of the pocketboy shows the same thing happening. Do any of them lock into the folding position and not flop partly open? I guess the alternative is a short, non-folding saw in a sheath. Does anyone have recommendations for a very short fine-toothed non-folding Sillky? This is mostly for ornamental pruning.

Bob Bob

Our gomboy flops open about an inch or two while locked in the folded position. The TreeStuff video of the pocketboy shows the same thing happening. Do any of them lock into the folding position and not flop partly open? I guess the alternative is a short, non-folding saw in a sheath. Does anyone have recommendations for a very short fine-toothed non-folding Sillky? This is mostly for ornamental pruning.
A folding saw that locks closed would be a good design improvement for Silky. I own the F180 and it unfortunately doesn't lock closed either. I resorted to using a broccoli rubber band to keep it clamped shut for backpacking trips and transport.

Last edited:

Njdelaney

I have the F180 as well and mine stays shut pretty well. I use it frequently but not everyday, so maybe for everyday use it will eventually get sloppy. A rubber band is a pretty good fix for that doesn't take too long. Perhaps a small friction washer can be added at the pivot point of any of these saws and that would keep them shut. I'm going to look into it on mine.

colb

It looks like the remaining ones that I do not have information on are the Super and Ultra Accels, which look like they have the same locking mechanism as the Gomboy/Pocketboy.

If anyone has alternative suggestions, let me know. I can't hang the Gomboy from my Teufelberger rope bucket 50L because it will nick ropes. I can't fold it and hang it from my harness or belt because it will nick my fingers, etc. If I stick it in a holster I may as well have a non-folding saw...

Njdelaney

So there is already a tiny friction washer under the head of the screw that holds in the blade of the F180 that could be beefed up and that would make a difference I'm sure. I also just tightened the screw 1/16th of a turn and now it won't flop open even if I shake it vigorously. The trade-off is that it opens just a little harder.

Attachments

• 20201025_134018.jpg
    20201025_134018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Steve Connally

My longboy will travel a bit if I don't screw the lock down when it's stowed. I also have stretchy snap that goes through the scabbard to keep it tightly closed against the pole. Last thing I want is it to unfold while i'm climbing and fall to earth eating every inch of my tail and all the phone lines on the way.

Reach

The saw quality is not as high, but the Fiskars folding saw used to lock closed. Maybe it’s possible to retrofit a blade into it from a better manufacturer? Or take the locking button out of it and retrofit that into a better saw?

Anawan

The inferior quality of the gomboy blew my mind when I took it up the tree. The blade bent making a routine cut... and aside from that, the saw folded open adjacent to lanyard, wrist, etc. it didn’t make it through the first climb before I trashed it. Astonished, since a Zubat can last years. I’ve been using the same blade for a year and a half. It’s like the gomboy and pocketboy (which I also tried out) are made by a different company.

JD3000

Most well-known member
So there is already a tiny friction washer under the head of the screw that holds in the blade of the F180 that could be beefed up and that would make a difference I'm sure. I also just tightened the screw 1/16th of a turn and now it won't flop open even if I shake it vigorously. The trade-off is that it opens just a little harder.
I use this inexpensive little guy for root pruning if I don't have the Dewalt with me

Winchman

I've been using a Carona saw like this for several years. The folding lock keeps it closed securely, and it's amazed me with how well it still cuts after a lot of use. I'm tempted to buy another one just to see how it compares.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RD7LR...olid=3STB840BFUMM7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I carry a spray can of oil with me if I'm planning on using it on something largish. I modified the cap to keep the little tube from getting knocked off and the button from getting accidentally depressed. Works great. Oil 2020-10-26.jpg
The lanyard and cap are super-glued in place.

Mowerr

Ya my blade eventually bent on my pocket boy but that helps it stay closed now I think but it's also harder to fold it up one handed bc the blade is bent... So I don't use it much anymore but mine doesn't open up on it's own.
I love my longer blade silky in the saw scabbard on my leg the most.

evo

You can snug down the screw to make the hinge tighter.
And or somekind of elastic cord through the lanyard hole.
The long boy has a set screw with a plastic knob that holds the blade in a locked position

colb

You can snug down the screw to make the hinge tighter.
And or somekind of elastic cord through the lanyard hole.
The long boy has a set screw with a plastic knob that holds the blade in a locked position
It just seems so analog, in a speculative sort of way. If I did not maintain the snugness it could unsnug at a random moment and those nasty teeth would be unleashed. I've cut myself with my climbing handsaw twice and don't want to do it again.

evo

It just seems so analog, in a speculative sort of way. If I did not maintain the snugness it could unsnug at a random moment and those nasty teeth would be unleashed. I've cut myself with my climbing handsaw twice and don't want to do it again.
I’ve had two folding silky handsaws, and my primary pole saw is a longboy.
I’ve also partly severed a tendon in my left hand which then got infected.
Unless it’s for a very specific purpose I avoid the folding saws! Not because of a floppy loose blade, but they aren’t very practical in my world.
They are great for packing in a bag, sticking in a back pocket when you know you want to make a cut or two. I have a designated one with a broken tip on the blade which works great for roots or the last few fibers on a codom.
If I had four folders and two fixed saws I’d reach for the fixed blades 19 times out of 20.
In tree use, forget about it. No way I’m going to mess around with a folder unless it’s a rec climb and I want to bring up an “emergency” saw

evo

You can get fine blades for most all of their saws. For ornamentals I love the tisurgi or however your freakin spell it

“Features & details
Silky’s most popular curved pruning saw
13-inch (330 mm) blade length
17 teeth per inch (20 teeth per 30 mm)
0.65 pounds (300 grams) operating weight; 1.1 pounds (480 grams) weight with sheath (included)”

colb

You can get fine blades for most all of their saws. For ornamentals I love the tisurgi or however your freakin spell it

“Features & details
Silky’s most popular curved pruning saw
13-inch (330 mm) blade length
17 teeth per inch (20 teeth per 30 mm)
0.65 pounds (300 grams) operating weight; 1.1 pounds (480 grams) weight with sheath (included)”
I'm noticing the tsurugi comes in a short straight 200mm blade with medium teeth. That may be the saw I want. The narrow profile definitely looks useful for ornamentals. Thanks.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom