Is my cherry tree diseased?

Nearly all of the mature leaves on this newly planted kwanzan cherry tree look like this photo (tree was planted this spring). New leaves have been growing, but at a certain point, this happens to them. A diseased tree? 20210727_143907.jpg

Reach

Been here a while
If it is Japanese Beetles - and you need to confirm that, usually by observing them actively on the tree, my thought would be to first put up a Japanese Beetle trap on the other side of your lawn. Also, you can spray the tree when the beetles are on it to kill them, but I’m not aware of a preventative option.

Someone else here may know more than I on this subject though, and may be able to give you some more thoughts. Insects are not my specialty, but I do know a bit about some of them.

Alright, here are some more pictures from various parts of the tree. Does this narrow down the issue in anyone's opinion?

Attachments

• 20210728_155022.jpg
    20210728_155022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210728_154933.jpg
    20210728_154933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210728_154947.jpg
    20210728_154947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210728_155037.jpg
    20210728_155037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

Reach

Been here a while
The issue still looks like some sort of insect feeding on the leaves. Personally, I would not worry too much about it if that’s the extent of the damage. The leaves don’t look too bad to me from the pictures, just some fairly minor damage, probably not enough to impact the overall health of the tree.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Few different problems
Holes look to be a leaf spot disease that are forming holes when the tissue dies. Shot hole disease can do this but it looks different. It is also Japanese beetle season and any insecticide labeled for their control can help though they work best when they just emerge and sprays repeated as soon as the label allows.

Traps attract more of them, leave them at the store.

Reach

Been here a while
Few different problems
Holes look to be a leaf spot disease that are forming holes when the tissue dies. Shot hole disease can do this but it looks different. It is also Japanese beetle season and any insecticide labeled for their control can help though they work best when they just emerge and sprays repeated as soon as the label allows.

Traps attract more of them, leave them at the store.
Thank you for chiming in! @PeterMoccia I know what to do when the varsity shows up, so I will defer to the expert here.

The leaf spot disease makes sense, I didn’t think of that as I really don’t know too many diseases.

I’ve heard many opinions on the Japanese Beetle traps, and I like yours, but I like the idea of putting them up, just far away from the trees you’re trying to protect.

Nearly all of the mature leaves on this newly planted kwanzan cherry tree look like this photo (tree was planted this spring). New leaves have been growing, but at a certain point, this happens to them. A diseased tree? View attachment 77144
Feeding looks like Katydid.

Japanese Beetles usually leave a leaf skeleton behind.

Look up "Katydid sound", and see if you hear them at night when all is quiet in your neighborhood. I am 30 min West of you, and they have been quite active as of late.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom