Introduction: completely new climber

My name is Mike and I live in Charleston, SC (James Island). New to the forum and formal tree climbing. My only experience is climbing trees with rope and zero training, both for fun as a kid and hunting as an adult. I've learned more here in the last few weeks than anywhere else. A few weeks ago I had a limb break on one of our trees over my neighbor's yard and I climbed up and cut it down. Afterwards I realized how dangerous that was.

My wife and I had been talking about signing up at our local rock wall and then the limb issue happened. So I signed up for our local climbing wall lessons just to get started. It's just a start and I don't consider it a substitute for training in trees. I'm planning on taking a 40 hour class on basic arborist climbing as soon as possible. I don't plan on becoming an arborist, but I want to learn to safely climb trees. I plan on saddle hunting, so any training will make this safer.

In any case, I know nothing, but I am enjoying this forum and appreciate all of the education.

And speaking of trees, we have a lot of them in the neighborhood. :)
20210617_074002~2.jpg

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Hi Mike...nice to have you aboard.

Have you gotten the book, Tree Climber's Companion? Money well spent.

You're fortunate to live in Live Oak country. They are a great species for learning how to tree climb. Low, strong structure.

There is over 20 years of info waiting for you in the Archives. As you've seen there are lots of helpful people here too.

Tom

Thank you Tom. Happy to be here. Yes, we are blessed with wonderful trees, many on my own property. We have 7 large Oaks and 8 huge tall pines, palms, mulberry, hickory, magnolias, and various others. Looking forward to safely learning to climb them.

The book! It's on my list of must have items.

Last edited:

Reach

Been here a while
Welcome! I got my start climbing rocks as a teen, and got into climbing trees (professionally) after college. It is hazardous, for sure, but only dangerous if we make it so.

I’ll second the recommendation to pick up The Tree Climber’s Companion. A professional could work a full career based on only what is found in that book. A good climbing course is a great idea too though, always best to learn under a professional. YouTube only goes so far.

Enjoy your time in the trees, and in your beautiful neighborhood!

Burrapeg

Been here a while
Yes, welcome Mike. There are a number of us on here who are not arborists, but just climb for fun with the same gear. The Buzz has an incredible pool of expertise and willingness to share, among our more senior members. I have been recreational climbing almost four years and learned almost everything I know about it from this forum and associated videos on youTube. And, man, those are some gorgeous trees in your photo! Enjoy!

oldoakman

Been here a while
I extend a welcome to you as well. Also a few suggestions. The Coastal Arborist ASSN of the Georgia Arborist ASSN is in the Savannah area and would be a good group to become involved in. I know it would be a bit of a drive, but worth the networking opportunity. Also the GAA is holding their annual Tree Climbing Competition November 13/14 in Kingston GA along with 2 days of training November 11/12. That would be well worth the trip and it is in a beautiful area, and primitive camping is available at the site. The GAA competition will have about 45 climbers from all over Georgia as well as several other states. These competitions are great places to watch and learn form some of the best regional climbers. Personally I have learned a ton over my 30+ years of involvement with competitions.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Are you near Cumberland Island? I went camping and hiking there about 12 years ago and there were huge Live Oaks. It was like another world compared to Michigan.

I extend a welcome to you as well. Also a few suggestions. The Coastal Arborist ASSN of the Georgia Arborist ASSN is in the Savannah area and would be a good group to become involved in. I know it would be a bit of a drive, but worth the networking opportunity. Also the GAA is holding their annual Tree Climbing Competition November 13/14 in Kingston GA along with 2 days of training November 11/12. That would be well worth the trip and it is in a beautiful area, and primitive camping is available at the site. The GAA competition will have about 45 climbers from all over Georgia as well as several other states. These competitions are great places to watch and learn form some of the best regional climbers. Personally I have learned a ton over my 30+ years of involvement with competitions.

Thank you so much. Primitive camping is also a huge part of my life. Unless a tree falls on me, I'll be at the competition!

"Unless a tree falls on me" was my father's provisional acceptance of an invitation for as far back as I can remember. Not sure if it had to do with his logging work.

We are members of a 2000 acre island hunt club near Edisto and have some of the most incredible big Oaks there as well. I wonder if we could put the skills on this forum to work (i.e. PLAY!) down on the island in the future?
20201231_074049.jpg

Are you near Cumberland Island? I went camping and hiking there about 12 years ago and there were huge Live Oaks. It was like another world compared to Michigan.

We live on James Island, a couple of river crossings south of the Charleston peninsula. It's all marshes, oaks, and Spanish Moss. Definitely an incredible place to live.
20160326_172956.jpg 20201231_073942.jpg

Attachments

• 20160326_172956.jpg
    20160326_172956.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

evo

Been here a while
We live on James Island, a couple of river crossings south of the Charleston peninsula. It's all marshes, oaks, and Spanish Moss. Definitely an incredible place to live.
View attachment 78022 View attachment 78023
Daum! Beautiful and how can you not climb those!
As Tom said tree climbers companion is a cheap book that can get you very far. Also if you can find a copy of Blair’s arborist equipment at a affordable price. Maybe even offer to work for cheap on a solid arborist crew dragging brush just to watch the climbers.

That’s some dry humor right there! Sounds like a Scot.

Native American, English, and a bunch of unknowns. After writing this I tried to figure out where this came from. And then a song popped into my head. Dad used to sing this song by Tex Ritter called "Rye Whiskey".

One chorus says:
Ha, whiskey, rye whiskey
Whiskey, I cry
If a tree don't fall on me
I'll live 'til I die

Somewhere along the line he, and ultimately all us kids, started saying the tree part when promising to do something or giving provisional agreement to an invite. Thanks for a walk down memory lane that lead me about 55 years into the past.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom