In helmet communication systems

oceans

Been here a while
It doesn’t have DMC. I did a ton of info gathering on the packtalks and the freecom4+ and decided I probably didn’t need the dmc for my 1.5 man operation. I’m still a little on the fence though. Do you think the DMC is worth the extra coin?
100% worth it. The strong signal without line of sight is everything in my book. The SENA was fine until someone went out to the front yard. Then everyone still out in the back yard heard scratchy static…whether the crew was 2 or 5 hands. That issue is actually what prompted our switch to Cardo.

We have been using Fodsports M1S models for several years. https://www.fodsports.com/m1s-pro/ They have improved them a lot during the last few iterations. They remain paired and don't need line of sight. Sometimes it is a minor hassle to get all paired together again if we have worked with another crew and need to reconnect, but if you stick with the same crew, there isn't a problem. After reading about all the issues with the expensive units, we just haven't been convinced that it is worth the price difference ($85 for the M1-S) to even try the big names.

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
I've been wanting helmet coms for a while now but just don't see any systems I like. I strongly dislike using ear muffs which most systems are based around, and in my limited searching, don't see a lot of other methods. On the Sena website I see the 'Expand Boom' which doesn't go into ear muffs, but then you need to be wearing ear plugs under those and it seems like the helmet straps would get in the way... Maybe I just need to look around a bit more, or just force myself to live with muffs...

Reach

Been here a while
I've been wanting helmet coms for a while now but just don't see any systems I like. I strongly dislike using ear muffs which most systems are based around, and in my limited searching, don't see a lot of other methods. On the Sena website I see the 'Expand Boom' which doesn't go into ear muffs, but then you need to be wearing ear plugs under those and it seems like the helmet straps would get in the way... Maybe I just need to look around a bit more, or just force myself to live with muffs...
I spent years trying to avoid wearing earmuffs, because I do not like them either. Pennsylvania is too hot in the summer to wear ear muffs, but I decided that the communications system was worth it, and I have become accustomed to wearing them. I’ve also discovered that one of the side effects ear muffs is that my hardhat does not rattle around on my head like it used to, and so now I wear the earmuffs even if I don’t need to, just to keep my hat from moving.

oceans

Been here a while
I used to wear earmuffs and plugs, but that was carry over from sitting in a Prentice 180 feeding a 1000 hp tub grinder.

Earmuffs over any kind of glasses really hurts for any length of time, and is way less effective anyway. The Protos was the first helmet that really made wearing all that stuff truly comfortable. Now I hop out of the truck with the helmet on, muffs engaged, and it stays that way until lunch, then again until I get back in to the truck.

The other thing I love about the Cardo is that it gives you a low battery warning while there’s still 25% remaining. I’ve gotten the warning just after lunch and the system still lasted to the end of the work day. The SENA just says “low battery” and shuts right off immediately.

Crimsonking

Carpal tunnel level member
Google says they are Jackson Safety V40 hellraiser. If you don’t want to spend the extra 10-15 on the stihl logo. Sorry Mark.

lumberjackson

I tried the fodsports too but havent found a good way to mount it on my protos without wires getting snagged on stuff when I climb, so I have only used it once or twice in the past 6 months... But I agree with @TreeFan that the sound and range is impressive for just $85

It is a pain to wire them, but you can stuff all the wires up above the padding in the Protos. I've never had twigs grab the wires with the configuration below. Also, the newer units come with a metal clip that slides over the edge of the helmet to hold on a plastic bracket. A nifty trick to keep these from falling off is to first tape the plastic bracket to the helmet, then slide the metal clip over both bracket and helmet. Hasn't fallen off since.
helmet.jpg

Toomuchsawdust

Participating member
I must have bought the wrong Cardos, because mine were absolute trash. No range, had to yell to get the mic to register anything. Yes, we played with the settings in the app. Straight garbage units.

Don't remember which ones I bought, they got retired to the trash can after 2 days.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom