Identifying 3 types of tree by leaf

Hi all - I am hoping to get some help identifying 3 types of tree on a plot of land I am looking to purchase in upstate NY. The lowest branches for all 3 trees were too high to reach so I collected a selection of leaves for each that were on the ground below. I have attached photos of the leaves for all 3 tree types.

Would I be right in thinking the evergreen is eastern hemlock? The other two I am not very sure about at all - after comparing a number of leaf images online the closest matches seem to be red oak and swampy white oak...

Any help would be really appreciated!

IMG_20210705_210146.jpg
IMG_20210705_210116.jpg

IMG_20210705_210054.jpg

Reach

Been here a while
Hello there! Welcome! It’s nice to see someone who puts up good quality pictures to work with, and who has done a bit of research too!

I would concur with Hemlock on the first picture.

The second picture looks like a Red Oak to me, and the third appears to be Chestnut Oak. All three of those trees should be native to New York state, especially in the Catskills region if I am thinking correctly.

Down here in southeastern PA, we have all three, although the two Oaks are far more common than the Hemlocks.

Thanks Reach for your help. After doing a bit of research on the Chestnut Oak, it would appear that there are a number of leaf similarities within the white oak group but that the underside of a leaf can usually differentiate between them.

I have attached a photo of the underside of the leaf - does that confirm or change your pick on the type of tree?

Thanks again for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_103704.jpg
    IMG_20210707_103704.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Reach

Been here a while
Thanks Reach for your help. After doing a bit of research on the Chestnut Oak, it would appear that there are a number of leaf similarities within the white oak group but that the underside of a leaf can usually differentiate between them.

I have attached a photo of the underside of the leaf - does that confirm or change your pick on the type of tree?

Thanks again for all your help!
I’m not sure I’m enough of an expert to make the determination from the underside of the leaf, but it looks like Chestnut Oak to me. The bark on a Chestnut Oak is also pretty obvious, so take a look at that for confirmation. It should be deeply furrowed, a picture from Google should show you the pattern.

Birdyman88

Branched out member
I think @Reach has it with Chestnut Oak. The only other two that would be that close is Chinkapin Oak and Swamp Chestnut Oak. Your leaf has more lobes than would be expected for a Chinkapin Oak, but is in range of 10-16 lobes for Chestnut Oak. Swamp Chestnut Oak is very similar to Chestnut oak, but has more lobes, and leaf tends to get broader past the middle of leaf toward the tip. Chestnut Oak should have deeply furrowed bark, whereas Swamp Chestnut Oak will be more scaly. There are some more details to delineate, but you would need a fresh green leaf.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom