Ideal Harness

Alejandro Concolor

Anybody ever been browsing for a new ride, and one is almost perfect, but it has 1 thing you don’t like, or another harness only has 1 thing you do like? You ever just wanna Frankenstein a few of them together?
Well,
My ideal harness:

Back padding and lumbar support of the Ergovation.

“Tang” style waist belt with velcro behind it.

Rope bridge with liger-mod rigging plates (similar to the monkey-Beev)

Large Dee rings on the hip, not the little ones like the MB.

Gear storage loops and saw-snaps of the Edge.

Carabiner tunnels of the Sentinel.

Leg loops of the Edge. (No mile long velcro like the Puma, Ergo, and Rebellion) With the same ISC buckles that the Edge has.

4 point suspender attachment point with lil diddy rings.

I sure hope Santa is listening.

Last edited:

theatertech87

Fall arrest rated straps that aren't crazy big or overly thick padding (or better yet removable padding) with steel side d rings and cloth between the shoulders and chest that attaches to the saddle without a huge carabineer

deevo

Anybody ever been browsing for a new ride, and one is almost perfect, but it has 1 thing you don’t like, or another harness only has 1 thing you do like? You ever just wanna Frankenstein a few of them together?
Well,
My ideal harness:

Leg loops of the Edge. (No mile long velcro like the Puma, Ergo, and Rebellion) With the same ISC buckles that the Edge has.

Just buy a NT Monkey Beaver harness you won’t have to worry about any of that! The Matt Cornell suspenders go well with it, @bonner1040 are they still avl for other peeps or something similar ? Or @augusthunicke anything else out there ?

colb

Just buy a NT Monkey Beaver harness you won’t have to worry about any of that! The Matt Cornell suspenders go well with it, @bonner1040 are they still avl for other peeps or something similar ? Or @augusthunicke anything else out there ?
My NT Onyx is great. Would love a monkey beaver, minus the branding (which is fine for others - it's just a little over the top for me), and with the addition of bucket-rated chest harness that can be attached or detached at will. Also, chainsaw first aid pocket integrated into the back pad.

oldoakman

I would like to try a Monkey Beaver but I think I would need to work with NT on a custom fit and at this point in life I can't justify it.

Alejandro Concolor

I have the MB. I don’t like small Dees on the hip, and the large Dees for gear storage.
When stuck in a constant sit position, like cabeling, my legs go to sleep sometimes. I didn’t have that problem with my old Edge.
And I sure wish they were still doing the tang style belt on new harnesses to prevent belts from loosening up.
As far as suspenders go with the MB, you can always get the Weavers 4-points: https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=301&item=1103

oldoakman

I agree about the small waist "D"s. I have the MCRS that has the 40mm DMM rings for waist "D"s and they were hard to get used to. I would still like to try the MB though. I also agree on the tang/tongue buckle on the waist. I am surprised that the leg pads give you issues. My understanding from friends who use NT saddles is that the leg pads are the best they have ever used.

Merle Nelson

New Tribe has been willing to do custom modifications in the past. So if the basic saddle worked for you but you wanted big D's on the hips that might be a piece of cake.

Alejandro Concolor

A couple weeks before I purchased my MB I had sent a request for such an item, but I never heard anything back so I just pulled the trigger and went with the as is.

CanadianStan

Well,
My ideal harness:

The ErgoLite checks almost all of the boxes ; everything but the suspenders.

Edit: I stand corrected. It has an optional fall-arrest.
And it does have a really tight channel for a Caritool on both sides.

96coal449

I agree about the small waist "D"s. I have the MCRS that has the 40mm DMM rings for waist "D"s and they were hard to get used to. I would still like to try the MB though. I also agree on the tang/tongue buckle on the waist. I am surprised that the leg pads give you issues. My understanding from friends who use NT saddles is that the leg pads are the best they have ever used.
Hey Oak .... I use steel snaps with my wire core flip line. This led me to changing the positioning rings. I didn't want the steel snaps grinding in the DMM aluminum rings. I got some stainless rigging rings from a boat supply house that are 3'' in diameter and swapped them out. I do like them better even though they add a tad bit of weight. Nothing serious but it all adds up when ya keep adding gear .....

oldoakman

Hey Oak .... I use steel snaps with my wire core flip line. This led me to changing the positioning rings. I didn't want the steel snaps grinding in the DMM aluminum rings. I got some stainless rigging rings from a boat supply house that are 3'' in diameter and swapped them out. I do like them better even though they add a tad bit of weight. Nothing serious but it all adds up when ya keep adding gear .....
Thanks for the tip.

Alejandro Concolor

GreenStone, hows stepping into that waist belt? It doesn’t open, correct? Does it stay sinched down tight throughout the day? And the leg loops, do they have those super long straps and Velcro like other buckinghams?

Leg straps have a seatbelt type buckle for quick donning or removal. Waist is 'buttoned' using the webbing friction adjusters (not sure what the actual term is - appreciated if someone can enlighten me). Tons of adjustment points overall. I don't have a problem with any of the straps loosening throughout the day (I only weigh 145-150 lbs without gear) even when I'm carrying everything but the kitchen sink.

Tony

GreenStone, hows stepping into that waist belt? It doesn’t open, correct? Does it stay sinched down tight throughout the day? And the leg loops, do they have those super long straps and Velcro like other buckinghams?
You can get a buckel at the waist if you want. Can’t hook the fall arrest in the front though with out the pictured waist belt.

It is not difficult to step through. Becasue the waist belt adjusts so easy, I open mine all the way. The bridge is more restrictive that the waist adjustment for stepping through

As for strap movement, I don’t have an issue. The waist creeps very little if at all. The leg starps a bit, but not enough to annoy.

No velcro on the straps. You just duoble them back and tuck them in like the waist belt. Theonly. Elcro is on the front stabalizer.

Tony

Alejandro Concolor

You can get a buckel at the waist if you want. Can’t hook the fall arrest in the front though with out the pictured waist belt.

It is not difficult to step through. Becasue the waist belt adjusts so easy, I open mine all the way. The bridge is more restrictive that the waist adjustment for stepping through

As for strap movement, I don’t have an issue. The waist creeps very little if at all. The leg starps a bit, but not enough to annoy.

No velcro on the straps. You just duoble them back and tuck them in like the waist belt. Theonly. Elcro is on the front stabalizer.

Tony
I do kinda dig the idea of this harness. Is Buckingham the only place you have found it available?
I couldn’t really find a size break down on their website. It just said S,M,L. But not what waist that covers.
Have you been able to add simple suspenders to that thing?
The Velcro/elastic strap that goes around your waist, have you noticed any akward wear where it comes out from the belt itself, under the ribs. (Hope that makes sense)
@GreenstoneVT , same question to you as you are an owner of this saddle as well.

I have the medium. I have a 32-34" waist and, in summer gear, I have 2-3 fingers each side of center attachment point to the buckle after cinching. If my waist was any smaller I would have gotten the small. So far I have had no issue with the elastic band. I've never tried simple suspenders as I have never had any sag issue even when carrying the proverbial kitchen sink. Fairly certain that Buckingham/Linemans Supply is the only place to get it.

Tony

Tony
Forgive the delay.

I am an average size tree guy 32” waist noassatall syndrome. A medium fits me well.

The elastic on the front stabilizer is replaceable, but I have never had too. I had an original ergovation for 4 years before this harness. This one I have been running for 2 years.

If the harness is fitted well it stays in place.

I have only ever used the “y” shoulder straps with sternal and dorsal attachments. I like the ability to have one harness for climbing and lift work. The only issue I have found is I have to climb in a shirt with a collar less the straps chafe my neck. I don’t mind as I prefer long sleeve work shirts with a collar anyway.

Mine has the croll attached as well at the chest. I use it more than I thought I would.

Tony

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom