ID Tree, is it dying?

proudmommie0930

We moved in a yr ago, this tree gets leaves but the bark is coming off. Unsure on what kind of tree this is as well. Can you please help in identifying what this tree is and if it's dying?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210404_174653.jpg
    20210404_174653.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20210404_174712.jpg
    20210404_174712.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62

oldoakman

The tree looks to be a London Plane tree. A close up photo of the twigs and buds would be appreciated. The bark sloughing off is normal and natural. Be careful around it in the spring when the leaves are young and tender. The under side of the leaves are fuzzy and that fuzz is an irritant to mucous membranes. Drives my sinuses crazy.

Reach

I would also say most likely London Plane, and the bark “peeling” off is normal. I love the look of those trees, but they cause a terrible allergy when I work on one with the leaves on.

Reach

What makes y’all say London Plane and not American Sycamore?
A couple things - it’s in a front yard landscape setting, where the London Plane is common. And the bark doesn’t quite look right for a Sycamore, it just looks like it doesn’t peel off quite the the way a Sycamore would.

I could be wrong though, I’ve been known to get those two mixed up on occasion, especially when they don’t have leaves on.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom