I strongly dislike politicians

HigherGroundArborist

I wish every politician had a “public service term limit” which would not allow them to be an elected official in a public office for more than 16 years. i.e. 8 years as Mayor, 8 years in Congress, DONE! Sick and tired of career politicians, padding their own pockets and not listening to voters, especially when I see things in the current relief bill like giving a raise to people on unemployment and stimulus checks to couples earning $200,000.

Ok, rant over.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Ive read some interesting suggestions that a pre-employment test be given before holding office.

There are minimum knowledge requirements for lots of trades and professions already. Why not for being a politician?

Some topics might be:

Civics
Constitutional law
Economics
Public speaking
Logic

@HigherGroundArborist Have you voiced your concerns to your elected officials? From dog catcher to president?

At what income level do couples meet 'minimum wage'? I'm with ya...for most of the country $200k seems pretty phat.

dmonn

I absolutely agree that there should be term limits. I believe the founding fathers did not intend for these positions to be life long careers. I also believe that many of these offices should be volunteer positions, non paid.
If they are volunteer positions I'm concerned that you'll get only rich people in our government and/or those who will use their position to get rich. Term limits make some sense to me, so I'm not opposed to that concept. I'm not sure about total public service limits though. I think making your way up the political ladder is beneficial. You can learn about the "next job" while working the current one. I think that would make you better at your next job. Think about tree work. You start by hauling brush and work your way up to certified arborist. When you're a climber you know what the groundies need because you've been there. Just my thoughts.

dmonn

I also really wish there was a better way to distribute COVID relief to make it more equitable. Somehow base it on need or cost of living areas. I know the cost of living where I'm at is WAY lower than in NYC or San Francisco. I also know that in my financial situation I don't really NEED the money, but would spend it if I got it. So that would help others, too.

oldoakman

If they are volunteer positions I'm concerned that you'll get only rich people in our government and/or those who will use their position to get rich. Term limits make some sense to me, so I'm not opposed to that concept. I'm not sure about total public service limits though. I think making your way up the political ladder is beneficial. You can learn about the "next job" while working the current one. I think that would make you better at your next job. Think about tree work. You start by hauling brush and work your way up to certified arborist. When you're a climber you know what the groundies need because you've been there. Just my thoughts.
All good points. Let me offer a compromise on one of your comments. Regarding volunteer requirement. Let the eected/appointed be a paid position for the 16 years offered above, and volunteer after that. Just another thought.

Dan Cobb

How can you not like our politicians? We have the best that money can buy!

I think we'd have fewer career politicians if voters had better memories. And if so many didn't just vote straight party without actually researching and evaluating the candidates. I'm also bewildered by the number of state and local candidates that run unopposed here.

In Alabama, Doug Jones (D) very narrowly defeated Roy Moore (R) for the senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions, despite (a) multiple, well founded pedophilia/sexual misconduct accusations against Moore and (b) Moore being twice removed as Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court for judicial misconduct. Jones had a voting record in the senate that is right of center even though he's a democrat. Jones was soundly defeated in the last election by Tommy Tuberville (R), a former football coach. Tuberville's main qualification is he's a republican Trump worshiper. Since elected, he's already misidentified the 3 branches of government (said "house, senate and executive" in an interview) and said he couldn't wait to get into his new office and start fundraising (which is illegal.) He's completely ignorant IMHO, but he's a republican and Alabama is strongly red. [End of rant. I feel better.]

ATH

.... I'm concerned that you'll get only rich people in our government and/or those who will use their position to get rich. ...
We are already there!

One change I'd like to see: disclosure of ALL sources of income while in office. Report of net worth before entering office and at next election cycle. Does it all add up?

I've got no problem with people making money. But an elected official shouldn't be making public policy decisions based on how much they can profit from it and we need to know when they do. It happens all the time. Both parties. right/left/middle.

There are some arguments for term limits...but I like your example of tree work. If we said you could only do this career for 10 years, we'd lose a lot of expertise.

Maybe more than term limits, I'd like to see "sunset" clauses in every piece of legislation and regulation. They can be renewed if they are working, but it would force an the question to be asked periodically "is there a better way" and provide opportunities for a better way to come about.

HigherGroundArborist

Your illustration is precisely what I do not want to see for our politicians. As soon as they get experience and become “professional” politicians that is when they learn how to work the system, hide money, cover up their mistakes. They are supposed to serve the people, not themselves.

evo

I absolutely agree that there should be term limits. I believe the founding fathers did not intend for these positions to be life long careers. I also believe that many of these offices should be volunteer positions, non paid.
Mandatory and paid, break up the offices into councils. Kinda like jury duty.

MatKep

Let’s stop referring to politicians as leaders and officials. They are elected representatives and they are supposed to work for us. Our taxes pay their salary and benefits and we are supposed to hold them accountable for their performance. Since they now have income streams independent of us (think lobbyists, PACs, Citizens United...) they are no longer incentivized to act in our best interest and have grown beyond reproach. Term limits will help, but if we want real change, we must remove the money and outside influence from politics.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom