Hurricane Ida cleanup

dmonn

Participating member
I'm just an old guy (70) homeowner with a decent amount of experience but not at the professional level. So this is just a curiosity question, not looking for work. The amount of cleanup after a hurricane seems enormous and hard to coordinate. Are there many folks who are in the profession that volunteer some of their time after a hurricane to help with the cleanup, or is this something that's contracted out by power companies and/or FEMA (or some other agency)? How is the tree cleanup coordinated? Just sitting here sipping my coffee and wishing I was able to help out those poor folks.

Reach

Been here a while
There are both, I have a couple friends who founded a volunteer company called the First Response Team of America (FirstResponseTeam.org - check them out, they’re something!)

They do a lot of work by themselves, as they have a lot of impressive equipment, but the coordinate groups of volunteers as well, most frequently from Lowe’s and from Team Rubicon.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
Just out of curiosity, I found this on the LA Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry webpage: No license is required for someone doing tree debris removal, which includes cutting up and hauling away fallen trees.

If the tree, or part of it, is standing, a license is required. If you're not receiving fees or soliciting business, a license is not required.

dmonn

Participating member
I hate to think about how many idiots with chainsaws may be in the damaged areas charging super premium prices. I'm sure a few will end up in the ER, hopefully not the morgue.
That was also my thought. The removals I do as an amateur are done carefully, planned, and done slowly--not at "production" rate. In a disaster cleanup speed would become a factor, and I can imagine how dangerous that would be for "idiots with chainsaws", especially if they're charging for their work and not in volunteer mode.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom