Howard's Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner With Bees Wax and Orange Oil on Stubs?

climbingmonkey24

Not sure if this would be the best place to put this thread.

Anyhow, a customer who I am going to be doing some pruning for asked me if I can apply this to the tree stubs after removing branches. Never heard of this before.

I haven't responded yet because we were communicating via email, so I'm looking for any information as to whether this is something that actually has benefit to tree health or if I should recommend against it?

I did some brief research on the product and it looks like something that is used on furniture.

Thanks

Brocky

The product might be beneficial for already dead wood, furniture, but might not be with living. I’ve only heard of putting shellac on oak cuts if done in summer, for odor control only.

ConeCollector

I love that stuff! I use it on all my solid wood furniture. I highly recommend it... for use as directed. If it were me I would just politely inform the customer about the wide body of research to indicate the opposite of their idea. I will some times take a light hearted approach and joke that the best thing for their tree will also be the best thing for their wallet. No waxing stubs!

Reach

Please don’t wax the stubs. Don’t paint the stubs, tar the stubs, or goop them up with anything. Let the tree breathe, and compartmentalize by itself. Covering up cuts usually locks in the contaminants that you’re trying to keep out, and in the long run will cause the decay you’re trying to prevent.

climbingmonkey24

Please don’t wax the stubs. Don’t paint the stubs, tar the stubs, or goop them up with anything. Let the tree breathe, and compartmentalize by itself. Covering up cuts usually locks in the contaminants that you’re trying to keep out, and in the long run will cause the decay you’re trying to prevent.

Oh I wouldn’t. I would walk away from a job before doing something that could negatively impact the tree.

In some other words that’s what I told customer that applying foreign substances can interfere with tree health and a tree’s natural healing processes.

climbingmonkey24

So my client sent me a link to this video, I still stand by my recommendation of allowing the tree to follow its natural healing processes but I figured I'd share it and see what you guy's think about what they’re saying in this video.

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I'd like to see his research.

I'm very skeptical

I never heard of anyone using bleach on wounds and cavities. It would be a bad option since bleach doesn't kill only the decay issues and good healthy tissues.

From what he is saying it doesn't seem like he has a good grasp on CODIT.

Jehinten

So my client sent me a link to this video, I still stand by my recommendation of allowing the tree to follow its natural healing processes but I figured I'd share it and see what you guy's think about what they’re saying in this video.
Politely of course, show your customer the link to this thread. They obviously don't mind doing a little bit of research on the topic since they provided that video. Many educated opinions have already advised against it.

Full disclosure, I haven't watched the linked video, but from my own research; don't add anything to pruning cuts. Also finishing wood products are designed to be absorbed in dry wood. Oils likely won't absorb into green wood as the moisture content will be higher.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom