How best split imori in two

Mwelander

I have an imori rope of 45 meters, i plan to split it in two as to make one extra long lanyard / secondary short rope for canopy work, and one longer part for using as the escape route when spiking up a tree.
I'm thinking maybe 10m and 35m respectively (any good input on chosen lengths?)

Do you have advice on how best to go about actually splitting the rope, and how to prevent milking in the resulting ends? Should I use an open flame to the end to melt the core and mantle together?

I'll probably be using the shorter one more frequently, so perhaps it makes sense to leave the splice on that one.

climbstihl

Can't help you with the lengths, that depends on your climbing style, type of work, type of trees, etc. I personally would probably go 15m and 30m though. And I'd leave the splice on the long side...

I would suggest wrapping electrical tape or putting shrinkwrap over the intended cut, and cut in the middle of that. I like using super glue to seal the ends afterwards, but melting works too.
If you have a hot cutter you can just use that...

Jonny

I don’t want to prevent milking. If a new rope is prone to milking, then let it happen and cut the excess jacket off as it milks.

I use vinyl electrical tape to prevent frayed ends, and when it’s done milking I’ll melt the end with a cigarette lighter.

A 10M lanyard is incredibly handy, I’m always leary about cutting ropes though. If I had a 45 meter rope and wanted a 10 meter, I’d buy a short piece from somewhere and leave the 45 as is.
A rope being too long isn’t a big deal for me. I’ll use 150’ rope for a short little ascent all the time. The excess just sits in the bag on the ground.

Mwelander

A rope being too long isn’t a big deal for me. I’ll use 150’ rope for a short little ascent all the time. The excess just sits in the bag on the ground.

The problem I perceive is that when you step over branches, go around to the other side of the tree half way up etc I don't want to feed 20-30 meters of rope over that limb to avoid the bight below me. That's one advantage i see with a rope length more suited to the tree.

Mwelander

A 10M lanyard is incredibly handy, I’m always leary about cutting ropes though. If I had a 45 meter rope and wanted a 10 meter, I’d buy a short piece from somewhere
Perhaps I should just do that. But I do like the spliced eye without that, I've used a fisherman's at the carabiner of the non-adjustable end, do you have a better suggestion?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom