How are inflation and supply chain issues affecting your work flow?

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Curious as how everyone’s flow has changed in the past little while. Are you increasing your labor hour rate? What costs of yours are increasing? Are you passing on jobs because a piece of equipment is unavailable for months and months? Are you considering getting a job at sonic? Are you getting out your great uncle’s old Jonsered because you can’t find a chainsaw for sale?

Neill

Participating member
I’m not a small business owner and I work at a large tree service so a lot of those details are not readily apparent on my level- something I’m thankful for. I’m told that our budget is restricted though.

There is still plenty of work though so no sonic for me. To my knowledge we’ve not had a hard time getting general supplies or anything.
I have been paying more at the pump recently which is hurting a tiny bit.
I also keep reading on here how saws are not well stocked at the moment and want to comment that I see a good looking used equipment for sale online. I’ve bought a couple relics myself that have turned out to be good buys.
Are you feeling a squeeze somewhere?

evo

Been here a while
For us, I did increase and redo my pricing scheme... I increased my solo rate, my daily equipment fee, and my crew fee by $75 per day.
We have been hurting more on a personal level than business, but the biggest hurt on business is quality emloyees.. I'm having to possibly wait a bit more but really not a big deal.. Just bought a new chipper, the dealer was sold out and all their pre-orders were spoken for. So no demoing (yes try it before you buy it, but no hmm bring a bigger one next week I want to try that), the added features and color were all fucked up but its not like I can realistically say nope send it back I ordered one in green.... There are limited saws on the shelf but I don't need any...
The biggest issue recently is they cut the ferry service down by half... Use to have two boats, one every half hour or so.. Now only one boat, but the lines might be a 3-4 hour wait to get on... We do have a bridge up north but that is a 2.5 drive around... Even that doesn't affect me much as I think I've left the island 4-5 times since the pandemic started. Two of those times were solely work related (mad scramble money shift to buy the chipper, and I bought a few trees for a job...
The only pure business effects are increased volume of work, less comp, and no quality help...

Reach

Been here a while
Our fuel costs are up by 20% this year, and there have been some things that have been hard to find. We had a truck down for six months waiting for transmission parts, I waited three months for Arborwear pants.

The employee shortage has been terrible, to the point there have been days I’ve wanted to pack up and have a yard sale, the then go move into a semi and take up life on the road. We just hired three guys last week though, two true rockstars, so we are in a much better place.

I’m not giving up any time soon, even though I do feel like it some times. I won’t quit ordering things either - we have been buying more than usual and earlier than usual instead, to have more stock on hand for what we need. Skidloader tires are the latest challenge, our tire shop is hoping to have more some time this month, but they’re not sure when. They have a couple MIA shipping containers right now that apparently contain our tires.

evo

Been here a while
Our fuel costs are up by 20% this year, and there have been some things that have been hard to find. We had a truck down for six months waiting for transmission parts, I waited three months for Arborwear pants.

The employee shortage has been terrible, to the point there have been days I’ve wanted to pack up and have a yard sale, the then go move into a semi and take up life on the road. We just hired three guys last week though, two true rockstars, so we are in a much better place.

I’m not giving up any time soon, even though I do feel like it some times. I won’t quit ordering things either - we have been buying more than usual and earlier than usual instead, to have more stock on hand for what we need. Skidloader tires are the latest challenge, our tire shop is hoping to have more some time this month, but they’re not sure when. They have a couple MIA shipping containers right now that apparently contain our tires.
found em! https://vancouversun.com/news/local...ners-not-40-fell-off-cargo-ship-near-victoria

Well not skidloader tires, but spontaneously combustible mining chemicals.. 30 miles off our island the damn thing caught fire the day before the biggest on record bomb cyclone hit (cat 4 low pressures and 30+ ft waves)

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
Yesterday we ended up buying Oregon chains for the second time
No Stihl chains in certain lengths
I don’t have time to make up our own

Reach

Been here a while
Yesterday we ended up buying Oregon chains for the second time
No Stihl chains in certain lengths
I don’t have time to make up our own
That’s annoying. We are fortunate to have an incredible dealer, they stock our preferred chains just for us, so we’ve not had that problem yet, but the saw shelf has been a little bare looking the last few times we’ve visited.

VenasNursery

My dealer just called me and said they have 5 ms201 coming in and was told they will be on back order until August
Absolutely Crazy

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I’m not a small business owner and I work at a large tree service so a lot of those details are not readily apparent on my level- something I’m thankful for. I’m told that our budget is restricted though.

There is still plenty of work though so no sonic for me. To my knowledge we’ve not had a hard time getting general supplies or anything.
I have been paying more at the pump recently which is hurting a tiny bit.
I also keep reading on here how saws are not well stocked at the moment and want to comment that I see a good looking used equipment for sale online. I’ve bought a couple relics myself that have turned out to be good buys.
Are you feeling a squeeze somewhere?
Quite a few shops have almost nothing in stock. One amazing shop in town has any Stihl saw on the shelf, including the 500i. Some folks I contract with have been waiting on a trailer or leaf springs or something like that a lot longer than usual. The biggest challenge I see from colleagues is finding employees. Folks who were employees can find better paying safer work elsewhere, and contractors are in very high demand.

I haven’t lived through a period of pronounced inflation so I guess one reason I made this thread was to get a little insight from some old timers on what to expect in the next year or so. (To the extent we can predict anything anymore)

27RMT0N

My area has seen a huge surge in population since COVID began which has meant more work than ever for any half-decent contractor. I have raised my prices, but not really in response to any kind of obvious inflation pressure, more just time pressure on me as my time and energy has become even more valuable.

Supply chain has been a thing though, it took over a month to find a 500i and Husky battery tools, various chain has been out of stock, ropes, etc. I always keep a supply/backup of most items so that hasn't hurt my work, but it is a hassle.

MA Arborist

Participating member
I ordered a 10K GVW aluminum mission trailer in March this year. Took 20 weeks
About 10
Weeks into the wait I got a notice from my dealer that mission was adding a 5% “labor surcharge”
I agreed to pay it as I needed the trailer.

When the trailer arrived it had the wrong ramps (too short).
Allegedly They sent out the new ramps immediately. All that came was an invoice…no ramps. Two weeks later the correct ramps arrived.

Long waits and poor management/customer service seems to be the new normal.

I’ve been hearing that product quality is going down as well.

oldoakman

Been here a while
Quite a few shops have almost nothing in stock. One amazing shop in town has any Stihl saw on the shelf, including the 500i. Some folks I contract with have been waiting on a trailer or leaf springs or something like that a lot longer than usual. The biggest challenge I see from colleagues is finding employees. Folks who were employees can find better paying safer work elsewhere, and contractors are in very high demand.

I haven’t lived through a period of pronounced inflation so I guess one reason I made this thread was to get a little insight from some old timers on what to expect in the next year or so. (To the extent we can predict anything anymore)
Watch who you call old timer bub. That being said, the oil embargo of '74, '75 ushered in the worst period of inflation in my lifetime. Home mortgage interest was as high as 18-24%. I bought my first house in '85 and was happy to get an 11% fixed rate. If it gets that bad again, you will see people putting off a lot of luxury type work.

evo

Been here a while
Watch who you call old timer bub. That being said, the oil embargo of '74, '75 ushered in the worst period of inflation in my lifetime. Home mortgage interest was as high as 18-24%. I bought my first house in '85 and was happy to get an 11% fixed rate. If it gets that bad again, you will see people putting off a lot of luxury type work.
Just bought our first home for 3.6%. A year later the lowest refinancing rate was 2.14%.. I nearly refinanced but was in the middle of a bathroom remodel.

Edi

Still waiting for my new Rayco grinding, 661 chainsaws, attachments for my battery kombi system. Also hard to find workers my workers' comp insurances just hit me with 20k for using occasional workers they categorized them as uninsured subcontractors.

oldoakman

Been here a while
Still waiting for my new Rayco grinding, 661 chainsaws, attachments for my battery kombi system. Also hard to find workers my workers' comp insurances just hit me with 20k for using occasional workers they categorized them as uninsured subcontractors.
OUCH!

RyanCafferky

Branched out member
Rico-

Those articles have far too many words. Do you notice the previous post you are attempting to denounce with your "information"? Minimal words is key to winning this culture war. Most important is avoiding articles and references with large numbers of words from credible sources that often promote the same ideals as the party of the person slandering the current puppet in chief.

Thanks for your cooperation in the continual race to the bottom.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom