Homemade knee ascenders

Bob Bob

Hi everybody!

Long time lurker here who finally made an account. One of my favorite aspects of this forum is ingenuity of its members.

I recently started climbing SRT so I made my own knee ascender. Anybody else have one they'd like to share?
Welcome to Treebuzz and sweet job on that knee ascender build! Looks like the bungee goes through a tube that goes through a paricord matrix that goes around a webbing sling. Lots of pride in workmanship showing there.

I've got a homemade version too but I'm almost embarrassed to show it now...I really need to bury my bungee through the webbing to get more pull.

climbstihl

20191002_134325.jpg 20191002_134337.jpg 20200211_204041.jpg
I made this to be like a saka, but I wanted to be able to use all the holes easily, which is why it's not sewn tightly. I might add some velcro on the back though, there is quite a bit of slop right now.
Unfortunately the color doesn't look as good as in the pic anymore...

Last edited:

Bart_

I've got an original style Haas copy made when the Haas appeared. The elegance of it is a piece of braided cover, two brummels one tail exposed splice , the tube, bungee and small carabiner at the top. Oh, one zip tie. Only downside is its a touch thick under your arch and the lower whoopee part can slightly loosen after while. So you reach down and snug it. I just pull the carabiner off my chest and hook it by my leg loop. Or move it back up to use it again. Simple to make and reliable. Place the splices to match your own leg.

A lot of gratitude to Mr. Frankhauser.

JayDeCoster

Welcome to Treebuzz and sweet job on that knee ascender build! Looks like the bungee goes through a tube that goes through a paricord matrix that goes around a webbing sling. Lots of pride in workmanship showing there.

I've got a homemade version too but I'm almost embarrassed to show it now...I really need to bury my bungee through the webbing to get more pull.
Nailed it.

JayDeCoster

View attachment 65349 View attachment 65350 View attachment 65351
I made this to be like a saka, but I wanted to be able to use all the joles easily, which is why it's not sewn tightly. I might add some velcro on the back though, there is quite a bit of slop right now.
Unfortunately the color doesn't look as good as in the pic anymore...
Very cool, love the multiple functionality! I just picked up a Rollclip Z and am looking forward to playing with it.

moss

My current home-made knee ascender.

Repurposed left-foot Petzl Pantin. I use a heavier bungee cord than most. Doesn’t need to be very long: I route it through my left side D across to my to my right side D where it is anchored. I get as much lift as the length of the non-rigid footloop/tether allows. I like the foot loop open enough so I can simply flip it off my foot. It has never come off during ascent, the loaded bungee keeps it in place throughout the ascent motion. Stows very compact. Simple may be better in this case.

https://flic.kr/p/2isBugR
Bamboo cam jammer prevents the rope from popping off the rope at the wrong moment:

https://flic.kr/p/2isAkEd
Throwline binding treated with super glue pins the stoppered bungee end down:

https://flic.kr/p/2isBueM
-AJ

moss

The bungee is 6mm diameter, the length is 15", the total foot loop length is 23".
-AJ

Last edited: