Hobbies and extra curriculars

Brando CalPankian

In my travels through the years, I discovered that tree folks are about the most diverse group of individuals. Growing up in rural NE Washington on a tree farm, I'd figured most arborists and green industry workers had similar interests as me. Boy was I wrong!

Let's see what y'all do when you're not working? I know some of y'all climb for fun, some drink, others just keep on grinding.

My wife and I are learning to use media more, so we hope to capture our daughter's growth and all of the adventures we have. We travel when we can, rec climb, hike and drive logging roads with the dogs, turn wrenches, fish (both ocean and inland), and study our hearts out. Sometimes we play video games, but that's few and far between any more. Neither of us drink anymore, and covid has made being social pretty hard. We're pretty fine with that, as most of our hobbies are in the woods anyways (she grew up off grid in NW Washington).

Pictures, videos, stories, you name it! Let's see what you work to live for.

Crimsonking

This year I picked up roller skating for the first time to unwind. It’s a great little hobby with years of potential growth/exploration. Otherwise I am trying to write more than in recent years, and rec climb.

Boomslang

Astronomy. It's been a hobby since I was a teenager. You can spend your whole life watching and studying the stars and not know one-one thousandth of what's going on up there. In the age of having answers for almost everything at your finger tips that unknown appeals to me.

I also dabble in numismatics (coin/bill collecting). Nothing crazy. Just picking up stuff when travelling that I think looks cool.

Starting to run again. I peaked a few years ago when I did a couple of half marathons and would like to get back there.

alexanderowen

In my travels through the years, I discovered that tree folks are about the most diverse group of individuals. Growing up in rural NE Washington on a tree farm, I'd figured most arborists and green industry workers had similar interests as me. Boy was I wrong!

Let's see what y'all do when you're not working? I know some of y'all climb for fun, some drink, others just keep on grinding.

My wife and I are learning to use media more, so we hope to capture our daughter's growth and all of the adventures we have. We travel when we can, rec climb, hike and drive logging roads with the dogs, turn wrenches, fish (both ocean and inland), and study our hearts out. Sometimes we play video games, but that's few and far between any more. Neither of us drink anymore, and covid has made being social pretty hard. We're pretty fine with that, as most of our hobbies are in the woods anyways (she grew up off grid in NW Washington).

Pictures, videos, stories, you name it! Let's see what you work to live for.
I enjoy slacklining, fishing, and dabble in other activities some times like rock climbing or baking. Whatever I am in the mood for!

Brando CalPankian

This year I picked up roller skating for the first time to unwind. It’s a great little hobby with years of potential growth/exploration. Otherwise I am trying to write more than in recent years, and rec climb.
I used to skate as a kit a lot! Spokane had a great roller rink. My brother in law picked up poi/staff spinning. He spins flames and stuff now. The exploration into activities can be amazing with the right effort.

What do you write? Got any cool rec climbing pics??

Brando CalPankian

Astronomy. It's been a hobby since I was a teenager. You can spend your whole life watching and studying the stars and not know one-one thousandth of what's going on up there. In the age of having answers for almost everything at your finger tips that unknown appeals to me.

I also dabble in numismatics (coin/bill collecting). Nothing crazy. Just picking up stuff when travelling that I think looks cool.

Starting to run again. I peaked a few years ago when I did a couple of half marathons and would like to get back there.
I was big into astronomy when I was younger. In my early teens my goal was to pay for college to eventually be an astrophysicist, as the math facinates me. The unknown is so encompassing. I know there's a feeling that comes from probing space that is just indescribable.

I actually never knew the word for coin/bill collecting! Is there one find that you take the most pride in or the cemented that as an interest for you?

I have never ran a marathon, although I enjoy running a lot. I'm just getting healthy enough again to start running.

Brando CalPankian

I enjoy slacklining, fishing, and dabble in other activities some times like rock climbing or baking. Whatever I am in the mood for!
I've heard good things about slacklining. I never have gotten the gumption to try it, though it looks like fun. It definately should help with balance in an array of activities. I've never rock climbed either!!! I've always wanted to but have never known anyone who could teach me. I am a shite baker. I can cook steak and potatoes, but baking is just not my forte.

evo

I tend to hyperfocus and I’m typically a all or nothing kind of person. I prefer to categorize it into passions. Blacksmithing and to a lessor degree metal work, herpetology, ecology, geology... but all in the very active sense of each. Arboriculture is just a profession that encompasses most of my sub passions

Crimsonking

I used to skate as a kit a lot! Spokane had a great roller rink. My brother in law picked up poi/staff spinning. He spins flames and stuff now. The exploration into activities can be amazing with the right effort.

What do you write? Got any cool rec climbing pics??
No cool pics, just barely getting into it now. With six kids and being sole bread winner, it’s crazy that now I’m finding hobbies. As for writing, I’m helping with a couple blogs. Nothing too creative anymore. I played around with poetry in my twenties,

Dan Cobb

I was bitten by the astronomy bug almost 20 years ago. Started with a Meade 10" LX200 SCT. Then added a TV-85, Coronado H-alpha, Astro-Physics Traveler, Orion Short Tube 80 and a 17.5" dob. Only problem is being too pooped to stay up late for stargazing. And having to travel to get a decent horizon.

Arborspective

Outside of work i still climb alot but the only difference is no saws. I spend time on advanced techniques and set ups aloft. Aside from that though firearms are my love and to be more specific modern high cap, black scary rifles ;) i shoot alot and most people around here do the same. Benefits of living in one of the free states.

Dan Cobb

Not a hobby, but in one of my corporate positions before retirement, I went to special effects makeup school to learn how to make and apply simulated injuries, aka moulage. When we had our big annual event for our rescue teams, it was a whole lot better when the teams had realistic looking victims to treat in the rescue scenarios. Having an evaluator tell a team their victim has an open fracture (when there's nothing wrong with them) isn't the same as getting to your victim and seeing what appears to be an actual open fracture.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom