Hitchhiker with zigzag+?

Seasoned climber here. Worked all over the country in all different species. Currently doing utility climbing in the PNW. As anyone who's done utiluty work knows, it's a different ballgame compared to private work. 15-20 climbs a day means we aren't setting ropes before we climb, and yes we are the devil for spiking forest trees. All of that aside, I've come to realize that my current system leaves me very vulnerable to bees and other hazards in the canopy. I usually double lanyard up to where the pruning stops, then tie in with an afs and mrs down with a zig zag. I'm proficient in srs in different applications...

So, all of that is being said to ask 2 questions. Is there an efficient choking system to use (efficient being key) that allows me to bomb out in case of anaphalaxis, that allows me to be "tied in" outside of lanyards?

Question 2, is the zigzag able to be used with the hitchhiker? It would be wayyyyy more compact than using the zag and wrench, which would help tremendously when advancing up the spar. I appreciate the patience with my long winded question and look forward to the insite!

theatertech87

Yes. Carabineer and spliced eye (or other cinching knot of your choice) and an srt device of your choice... A midline attachable friction saver (my preference is an Omni block and a carabineer on opposite ends of a wedding along) and your choice of moving rope system

Not that I've found unfortunately... However the akimbo/rope runner are hitch hiker sized (though I personally think the hitch hiker is the best option)

Thanks for your reply! A midline attachable friction saver could be tits for increasing efficiency. I'll have to look into that more. My old 3strand afs is about due for retirement anyway. I have been hoping to avoid buying another expensive mechanical. But if it's a safer way to go about things I'd entertain the idea. There's a fine line between safety and inefficiency. that said, there's still guys out here on closed systems... So...

I guess the only reason I was debating trying to use the zigzag with a hitchhiker is because I use the zigzag already. It is by far the best solution I'd found for grand fir and pine pitched equipment. Or frozen hitches. But the hitchhiker sounds like the way to go.

Brocky

A double lock, triple movement carabiner comes with the HH, twist generally means only the one lock, or movement before opening the gate.
Brandon, do you have a plan on how to combine the ZZ and HH?
I used a toggle to make a midline attachable friction saver. I use it with Beal’s Escaper, which is limited on the size of branch it can be used on.
F14F1285-4370-4D4B-A332-498BDEBFFE0A.jpeg

southsoundtree

Welcome!

Seems like a lanyard and HH/ HH2 on a climb line would do best.

Personally I keep it simple, choking the climb line above me, advancing a whorl or three on conifers and using my saddle as much as possible,

Or

Using the climbing line choked below my lanyard/ flipline. It's easy to open the running bowline enough to flip it up with your lanyard, or flip your lanyard, then climbing line.

For regular descent, a choked climb-line with some variation of a pull-down line for uncinching the climb line once you're on the ground.

Skip the moving-rope, and friction saver, all together.

That's an interesting setup brocky. I don't have a plan for the zag hiker combo yet. I figured I'd ask folks to see if anyone's done it. I found 1 video online but it wasn't tried at height. Southsoundtree, one problem I experience, and a reason I use friction savers, is to reduce the sap from pines and firs on my climbline. Nothing worse than a buggered rope and hitch. I guess I climb opposite of you now. I use my spurs as much as possible. The lanyards are mostly there for moral support. (On the normal sized easy peasy stuff at least) I'm thinking the hh is good for this. Anyone run a roperunner or other mechanicals that they like for this purpose? More midline adjustable friction saver ideas????

theatertech87

That's an interesting setup brocky. I don't have a plan for the zag hiker combo yet. I figured I'd ask folks to see if anyone's done it. I found 1 video online but it wasn't tried at height. Southsoundtree, one problem I experience, and a reason I use friction savers, is to reduce the sap from pines and firs on my climbline. Nothing worse than a buggered rope and hitch. I guess I climb opposite of you now. I use my spurs as much as possible. The lanyards are mostly there for moral support. (On the normal sized easy peasy stuff at least) I'm thinking the hh is good for this. Anyone run a roperunner or other mechanicals that they like for this purpose? More midline adjustable friction saver ideas????
That was my video ;)

theatertech87

Never did anything more with it than the video on the truck. Looked near, but didn't like how it felt in the hand.

Don't get be wrong id still love to see a zigzag mated with a hitch hiker, I just don't think that's the way to do it

Good to know. i tried the wrench and zag on a cinch today. Terrible to flip up with a lanyard. Haha. The length is ridiculous on that setup. Have to wait for the hh2 to get back in stock.

southsoundtree

Why would a person add a fully-functioning SRT device to a ZZ?

Pines and true firs are pitchy. Sometimes I'll use a piece of tubular webbing as a pitch-protector.

If your on a MRS, it's more important to have a friction saver.

If I'm coming of a spar, I'll come down a pull-rope on a Munter on my climb line (extended a bit away from me), while on spurs and lanyard as my (back-up) life-support.

I don't pull with ropes that could possibly break under rappel loading.

Why would a person add a fully-functioning SRT device to a ZZ?

Pines and true firs are pitchy. Sometimes I'll use a piece of tubular webbing as a pitch-protector.

If your on a MRS, it's more important to have a friction saver.

If I'm coming of a spar, I'll come down a pull-rope on a Munter on my climb line (extended a bit away from me), while on spurs and lanyard as my (back-up) life-support.

I don't pull with ropes that could possibly break under rappel loading.
I'd do it to see if it works of course! Lol. Simply because i have a zz and it'd be interesting to see if it works. I like the webbing idea, cambium saver type deal. That's a pretty simple setup. Thank you for sharing!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom