hitchhiker 2 versus HHx

Kandelero

Howdy. Newish climber and new to the site, so hope I'm posting in the right forum. I'm looking for something smoother than my rope wrench on branch walks and was told the HH was the ticket. Is there much performance difference between the HH2 and the HHx? I ask as the latter are not presently available from CI. Cheers.

Jonny

Haven’t used the HHX so can’t really give a fair answer, but the HH2 is amazing once it’s dialed in.
Have a little patience at first and read up here about what cord and rope combos are working well for everyone, or buy a cord sampler pack from Wesspur :) . There’s options for different hitches too, but I’m happy with the 4 wrap one on the instructions. 8mm HRC and 8mm Beeline on Xstatic or Fly for me. Got some 1/2” HTP (I think... might be KM3 I don’t remember so we’ll) and a 9.3 Epicord works well on that.

Welcome!

Bob Bob

New HH thread currently in use...
Old HH thread, which has had the thread name removed by @bonner1040

I don't think the HHX will be re-released in it's current design. I think I remember Richard mentioning that he's working on a new version for the next release, but I could be wrong...

Last edited:

rope-a-dope

The main difference is the connection point being a slic pin shackle on hhx and a steel biner on hh2. The biner has more play in the bottom slot and can sort of jackknife sideways if you try to 1 hand uppercut slack your slack out. The shackle does not allow this which makes it feel smoother when tending, but is more difficult to open and close.
Both kick ass.

Jonny

The Quickie (and other shackles) will work in place of the carabiner on the HH2. RustyKFD took out the lower screws, countersunk the holes a little and replaced the panhead screws with flat machine screws that sit flush.
Just pointing out options. I love my HH2 just fine with the CT carabiner.
925F9747-4D21-4B94-9057-BA7111A7F38F.jpeg

Bob Bob

N
I LOVE the HH for limb walks, the progressive nature of the friction is amazing. Unlike the rope wrench, I like the Rope wrench for other reasons.

I like messing with different hitches on a HH. Knut, mainly as it is easy to tie, dress, and set. While maintaining almost ZERO sit back and effortless release. *use at your own risk* Low and slow... Link to ME playing with my HH on Instagram.
Nice to see a generation 1 still in service.

Phil

I propose the HH is the single greatest friction device currently on the market. No moving parts, midline attachable, compact, bombproof, and as a bonus if you get into a street fight you can put it in a tube sock and use it as a weapon against your enemies etc etc. I weigh 165lbs. Use 11.7 mm poison ivy line, and tightly coiled 5 wrap hitch with 8mm beeline. No fancy crossovers or braids for me. I did follow those other threads and try different wrap hitch configs but I always went back to my original setup.

A must for the HH is a a way to tend it while in SRS. I bought the plastic holster but stopped using it. If I switch from SRS to an MRS, I clip both crabs into the same ring. The eye on the plastic holster got in the way. I use a short eye n eye loop on the crab for the HH to tend slack with a chest harness. Because it's soft, when I switch to MRS, my terminal crab is not affected by it. If you want pics I'll take some.

DSMc

I couldn't agree more, Phil. I don't find a need for a tending device though. I just clip into the bridge ring that the HH is on, works great. It works even better if you add a pulley as that makes it work like a chest roller.

Interesting that you have success with 5 wraps. I am close to your weight and can get super results with just 3 to 4 wraps, depending on the rope.

rico

Agreed.. Fuck the plastic holster. Hated that thing. I clip into the bridge ring and I will put a pulley underneath in certain scenarios for buttery smooth tending ...155-160 lbs...3 wraps for me please....

Phil

Agreed.. Fuck the plastic holster. Hated that thing. I clip into the bridge ring and I will put a pulley underneath in certain scenarios for buttery smooth tending ...155-160 lbs...3 wraps for me please....
Hmmm. Maybe I'll try less wraps again. If I recall it would creep on me when in SRS if I had less than 5.

Also, you guys don't have an issue with the crab going sideways when tending from the ring?

I tried the pulley underneath to smooth tending but I just didn't like it from an ergonomics of unclipping and passing over/going around limbs and stems standpoint. It definitely improved tending but not enough for me to keep it.

John@TreeXP

My experience is based on using only the HH2. I've used 8mm beeline and 9mm epicord, and I prefer the epicord, with the basic 5 or 6 wraps, as opposed to a michoacan or another similar type of hitch knot. The basic premise of the HH is similar with both the HH2 and the HHX, but the HHX is about 1/2" taller, making the HH2 potentially more compact, depending on your preference using attachment hardware like a carabiner, or a tree-quickie, or a swivel snap, or a combination of these. The HH2 was a redesign of the original Rope Tek Hitch Hiker, but the HHX is based on the original HH design.

I've found the most compact setup using the HH2, a plastic tending holster and a tree-quickie, but installing and removing the tree-quickie vs the steel carabiner, makes using HH2 with 9mm epicord, the steel carabiner and a plastic holster my preferred setup. I've used this setup in pouring rain in the jungles of Costa Rica, and the results were outstanding.

Jehinten

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try less wraps again. If I recall it would creep on me when in SRS if I had less than 5.

Also, you guys don't have an issue with the crab going sideways when tending from the ring?

I tried the pulley underneath to smooth tending but I just didn't like it from an ergonomics of unclipping and passing over/going around limbs and stems standpoint. It definitely improved tending but not enough for me to keep it.
I am no longer on the HH2 but when I was, I ran 4 wraps (9.3 arbpro on 12.7 vortex at 260lbs) I also tended from the bridge and had no problem with the carabiner rotating. That said, at the time I was using a rook pulley and it has grommets that hold carabiners secure to prevent accidental rotation.

I attempted the pinto pulley underneath but found it a little cumbersome to setup. Other pulleys can work better, but thats what I had.

Kandelero

I propose the HH is the single greatest friction device currently on the market. No moving parts, midline attachable, compact, bombproof, and as a bonus if you get into a street fight you can put it in a tube sock and use it as a weapon against your enemies etc etc. I weigh 165lbs. Use 11.7 mm poison ivy line, and tightly coiled 5 wrap hitch with 8mm beeline. No fancy crossovers or braids for me. I did follow those other threads and try different wrap hitch configs but I always went back to my original setup.

A must for the HH is a a way to tend it while in SRS. I bought the plastic holster but stopped using it. If I switch from SRS to an MRS, I clip both crabs into the same ring. The eye on the plastic holster got in the way. I use a short eye n eye loop on the crab for the HH to tend slack with a chest harness. Because it's soft, when I switch to MRS, my terminal crab is not affected by it. If you want pics I'll take some.
pics please.

Kandelero

please post a pic of your +pulley setup.

Tom Lynch

I have a plan to design and machine my own version of the HH one day... (this winter I hope). With a pulley built into the body, a slick pin in place of the 'beainer (a tapered notch on the inside of the cheek like the new RRP, to release the pin) and a swivel built in conjunction to the Quicky style connector. (Imagine two quickies had a baby with the last image.) Still lots of development and redesigns to go. I'm a machinist by trade and found a shop that will let me play this winter :cool: Solving some of the minor quality of life issues I have with stacking a pinto and swivel. The idea would be to have a full feature system in the shortest stack height possible. While having one point to undo for ponytail redirects and nothing to drop. Right now fighting to clip a 'beainer onto a swivel while holding the pinto just right is a major P.I.T.A! While I'm at it I'll stamp and bend up a cleaner tending point, the one I have is not too far off my ideal design.

(Using a regular quicky leads too many problems in my experience. For sure need one with longer arms, to prevent binding.)
71228023_2309936379104174_5987989360509714432_n.jpg 70610928_2304716092959536_4455970334138433536_o.jpg 98434604_627570454512810_5426889896920119409_n.jpg 106258597_2900922913338848_6897425215111468349_o.jpg swivelshackel.jpg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom