Hitch independent ZK-2 tether

moss

I built this a while back but did a rebuild on the shrink tube since I have a better idea what I want out of it now.

This tether is independent of the hitch for easy change over from SRT to DRT and back again. Previous version the lower legs with the eyes were flexing a little too much now they have two layers of a thin shrink tube so it's all tight, no slop top to bottom.

Best thing about separating the tether from the hitch carabiner is there's comfortable room on the DMM oval for 10mm hitch cord eyes.

More photos

-AJ

itterada

Genius. Are you still using (what looks like) 1/4" cord for the tether?

I really want it to work with 8mm cord but it makes everything so bulky :/

(edit P.S. how long are you making this guy?)

Adam_P

Very nice!

Mine ended up similar. I made 2 3/16" stainless "washers" that fit extra snug with a slic pin. They have a bit of throwline connecting the two washers, and one washer to the tether.

It's on and off in a snap, literally.

moss

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice!

Mine ended up similar. I made 2 3/16" stainless "washers" that fit extra snug with a slic pin. They have a bit of throwline connecting the two washers, and one washer to the tether.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely want to see that, when I return the Spiderjack ;-)
-AJ

moss

[ QUOTE ]
...Are you still using (what looks like) 1/4" cord for the tether?

I really want it to work with 8mm cord but it makes everything so bulky :/

(edit P.S. how long are you making this guy?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, using the 6mm NE Ropes tech cord. Nylon washers on each side of the tech cord eye where it joins the wrench to keep it snug and balanced. It's 9" long, still a good amount of hand room above the hitch with a 5 wrap VT fully loaded/extended using a 31.5" 10mm OP hitch cord.
-AJ

Adam_P

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely want to see that, when I return the Spiderjack ;-)
-AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan. You must have about 6 tether variations and a pile of stitched eyes I'd like to get a look at.

treebing

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love slic pins.

porktaco

Is there currently somewhere that sells a rope wrench teather that would work with the hitch climber pulley? I noticed that treebuzz has one listed, but it's out of stock.

Adam_P

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna ask if I could borrow Adams Spiderjack!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick, if you're really interested I'll send it your way next. Let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
I love slic pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I actually called them sometime last year to try and order some in weird sizes for other projects. I was bummed they were made to order with minimum quantities of a lot more than I was interested in.

I wish they'd make a deal with McMaster-Carr or some place like that.

moss

I've nailed a much better detachable tether design, uses a captive slic pin to attach to the Hitchclimber, no worries about dropping anything, quick on/off but secure. Also using better cordage for the tether core, Ocean Vectran 6mm (22kn). Will post photos later today.
-AJ

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom