HHX Hitch Question

Njdelaney

I have a HHX and have used it about 5 times, with similar results. I find that if I tie the normal HH hitch, following @Richard Mumford-yoyoman instructions that no matter how tight I tie it, once I'm 20-30' up in the air the hitch/rope stretch out enough that it no longer grabs when I load it, making for some interesting moments. I primarily use it for rec climbing (Rope Runner is my preferred device with Rope Wrench in 2nd place) and normally just footlock up with just the HHX and neck tether. So, when the hitch doesn't grab upon unloading, there is nothing stopping me from sliding down the rope quickly other than my hands on the rope. If I tend the hitch it grabs of course but that requires taking one hand off rope, holding myself up by one hand alone until the hitch grabs, which is doable but seems unnecessarily difficult.. If there is a crotch I can stand in and lanyard in, I re-tie the hitch aloft and after this first redo it always works perfectly. I've tried weighting the hitch by sitting in my saddle while still close to the ground and every time when I get high enough for it to be annoying to come down just to re-tie, it loosens on me. I'm using it with the supplied 8mm hitch cord on Samson Vortex and tying the hitch with 5 wraps. Any insight on what may be the problem?

Jehinten

I've had that happen a few times when I had my HH2, I've sold it now as I use mechanicals. I know you said you sit in it before ascent, have you sat in it multiple times? Before a climb I'd sit in it 3-4 times and break the hitch each time to make sure the legs are loaded evenly.

For what its worth, I used 9.3 arbpro with 4 wraps on Vortex and found that it grabbed reliably with an easy release. This hitch cord felt stickier than others, which i believe led to it engaging better than other cords. Its not actually sticky, but something about it seemed to have a better grip. Its been awhile since I sold it along with the HH2 so I can't refresh my memory on it.

Njdelaney

I've had that happen a few times when I had my HH2, I've sold it now as I use mechanicals. I know you said you sit in it before ascent, have you sat in it multiple times? Before a climb I'd sit in it 3-4 times and break the hitch each time to make sure the legs are loaded evenly.

For what its worth, I used 9.3 arbpro with 4 wraps on Vortex and found that it grabbed reliably with an easy release. This hitch cord felt stickier than others, which i believe led to it engaging better than other cords. Its not actually sticky, but something about it seemed to have a better grip. Its been awhile since I sold it along with the HH2 so I can't refresh my memory on it.
Yeah I have bounced, sat multiple times, etc. I haven't played around with different cordage yet so maybe there's something there.

Jehinten

Yeah I have bounced, sat multiple times, etc. I haven't played around with different cordage yet so maybe there's something there.
My HH came with 10mm beeline and I never could get it to behave correctly. I grabbed the arbpro based off of others on here using it with Vortex and found it was much better.

That specific hitchcord is no longer produced, but they have a slightly smaller one. maybe 9.1mm? @Brocky mentioned it awhile back when discussing the 9.3 being discontinued.

AdkEric

I have a HHX and have used it about 5 times, with similar results. I find that if I tie the normal HH hitch, following @Richard Mumford-yoyoman instructions that no matter how tight I tie it, once I'm 20-30' up in the air the hitch/rope stretch out enough that it no longer grabs when I load it, making for some interesting moments. I primarily use it for rec climbing (Rope Runner is my preferred device with Rope Wrench in 2nd place) and normally just footlock up with just the HHX and neck tether. So, when the hitch doesn't grab upon unloading, there is nothing stopping me from sliding down the rope quickly other than my hands on the rope. If I tend the hitch it grabs of course but that requires taking one hand off rope, holding myself up by one hand alone until the hitch grabs, which is doable but seems unnecessarily difficult.. If there is a crotch I can stand in and lanyard in, I re-tie the hitch aloft and after this first redo it always works perfectly. I've tried weighting the hitch by sitting in my saddle while still close to the ground and every time when I get high enough for it to be annoying to come down just to re-tie, it loosens on me. I'm using it with the supplied 8mm hitch cord on Samson Vortex and tying the hitch with 5 wraps. Any insight on what may be the problem?
This used to happen to me with my hh2 while tending with a weaver chest box. The tending point with the chest box and a rock exotica rock x carabiner and the "hitchhiker holster" sat about 2 inches below my xiphoid process. Since switching to my neck tether, which tends about 6 inches higher on my chest, and clipping to the bridge ring for tending, I have not had this issue. I sit into the hitch 3 or 4 times prior to the climb and re tie if it stretches/loosens enough to justify re-tieing. FWIW, I use the HH2 with the standard HH hitch, yale 11.7 blue moon, 4 wraps with 8mm HRC or 6 wraps with 10mm Tendon Timber. I think @DSMc commented on this subject before, but I could be mistaken.

Cereal_Killer

When I had my HHX I ran a 5 wrap HH hitch with 9.3 Epicord on 11.7 yale/Samson it did as described after the first ascent but I retied it in the tree and then never took the device off the rope after that. Solved it for me.

Last edited:

rico

With the HH/HH2/HHX you MUST properly set your hitch and get it dialed in Before you leave the ground..This process has been described ad nauseum here, as well as elsewhere many times..Do some research and you will find the answer that you seek.....

Last edited:

DSMc

... no matter how tight I tie it, once I'm 20-30' up in the air the hitch/rope stretch out enough that it no longer grabs when I load it,... Any insight on what may be the problem?

You have basically answered your own question. If the hitch gets too loose to grab, it needs to be tightened.

As mentioned above, I prefer to do this before going up by working the hitch on the ground. It takes more than just bouncing to set a good hitch, you need to 'work' it. Tighten, release, and take up slack. It only takes a few times but all three movements are needed to set the hitch.

If for some reason you get it wrong, don't keep climbing, just lanyard in and adjust it. It is easy to do and well worth the effort.

Brocky

My HH came with 10mm beeline and I never could get it to behave correctly. I grabbed the arbpro based off of others on here using it with Vortex and found it was much better.

That specific hitchcord is no longer produced, but they have a slightly smaller one. maybe 9.1mm? @Brocky mentioned it awhile back when discussing the 9.3 being discontinued.
I ordered it from Arbpro directly, free shipping and only took a couple of days to arrive.
I’ve found single braid cords to work the best, don’t have to do the super tight hitch, nor retie after some use.

dmonn

I have lots of different brands/models/diameters of climbing rope and hitch cords. Too many to try all the different combos. It seems like sometimes the same combo works better than at other times. It's strange. Temp, humidity, etc. may be the cause. I dunno. I just deal with it as described above.

If the hitch slips, I retie it tighter. If it doesn't release well, I work it looser. That's not tough to do. If I consistently have issues, I switch to a different combo. I currently have a favorite hitch for my HHX that I like a lot. It's the Innovation Hitch. For some climbing line/hitch cord combos it does slip a little, but it doesn't take much to tighten it up or switch to a different hitch cord.

It sounds like the OP climbs pretty "lean" (not much for backup, like a work positioning lanyard?). That would make retying your hitch at height pretty sketchy. Footlocking? Get a foot ascender and SAKA! If the friction hitch you're using doesn't work the way you like, try different hitches. There are only about 20 different ones you could try (maybe a slight exaggeration).

Njdelaney

I have lots of different brands/models/diameters of climbing rope and hitch cords. Too many to try all the different combos. It seems like sometimes the same combo works better than at other times. It's strange. Temp, humidity, etc. may be the cause. I dunno. I just deal with it as described above.

If the hitch slips, I retie it tighter. If it doesn't release well, I work it looser. That's not tough to do. If I consistently have issues, I switch to a different combo. I currently have a favorite hitch for my HHX that I like a lot. It's the Innovation Hitch. For some climbing line/hitch cord combos it does slip a little, but it doesn't take much to tighten it up or switch to a different hitch cord.

It sounds like the OP climbs pretty "lean" (not much for backup, like a work positioning lanyard?). That would make retying your hitch at height pretty sketchy. Footlocking? Get a foot ascender and SAKA! If the friction hitch you're using doesn't work the way you like, try different hitches. There are only about 20 different ones you could try (maybe a slight exaggeration).
I have multiple ascenders and multiple lanyards, and I mentioned lanyarding in to re-tie the hitch, so no, I don't climb without a lanyard. I sometimes footlock for exercise and to retain the skill should I ever need it but I only do it when rec climbing, and Vortex is my favorite rope to footlock on. In a work scenario I use a Rope Runner or Rope Wrench because I find them to need less adjusting and they always work right. I have never needed to adjust either one once aloft and rarely need more than one attempt at tying my hitch for the RW to get it perfectly functional. I climb SRT about 85% of the time and have never used the HHX for DDRT, but I imagine that it is much more forgiving than using it for SRT in terms of getting the hitch just right. I'll probably just continue to play around with different hitch cords as well as trying to thoroughly set my hitch before ascending as @DSMc described.

Richard Mumford-yoyoman

I am sorry to hear your having that difficulty.
Brocky's version of the Catalan or Innovation hitch? Viper or Boa?
Lately I've mostly used RIT on Marlow Vega, I tie my hitch once, set my weight on it twice while I check my harness, anchor and mount my SAKA and such. That's it, tends well and always engages hands free. I do find with RIT it requires one more wrap or it will creep.

Njdelaney

Thanks for that tidbit Richard, much appreciated. I suspect a more static rope will create less of an issue due to less elongation(and small change in diameter of the climbing line). I'll try my Xstatic or Blue Moon and try the hitches you mentioned. I love the device and your take on it and look forward to getting it dialed in.

Njdelaney

I found a combination that worked very well for me last night after a long HHX hiatus. X-static, BOA hitch cord and the Knut H. I did as @DSMc said and did all three motions of tighten, release and tend slack prior to ascent and it worked really well. No slippage, very easy to release and modulate. Did a long limb walk and some deadwooding in my big Mulberry tree here at home, transferring the whole system over some limbs is so easy with the Swiva-eye. Thanks for the advice and knowledge to those who replied to this thread.

Attachments

• 20210512_193927.jpg
    20210512_193927.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom