DC*Customz

I have an older vermeer 1000. Serial # 101. I have the drum out and I'm replacing the bearings. From what I can tell on a dial caliper and a tape measure the diameter of the shaft going through the drum is 2 3/16". Could someone give me re assurance. And any advice on bearing selection etc...any other things maybe I need to do before I install it back in? Thankguysz. I'm in a time crunch as well.

treesap

do you have a shop manual for it? if not, measure the old bearings, and order new ones with the same specs from somewhere like Mcmaster-carr.com

probably gonna want roller bearings, and dont cheap out, since im sure you dont want to replace them very often

Reach

My recommendation is to contact your local Vermeer dealer and buy from them. They can get you the right bearings, rated for the loads they will carry, and they will be the right size the first time.

If that’s not an option, take what’s left of the old bearings to a local bearing supply (yes, they do exist) and explain what they’re going to be used for so they can guide you in choosing the right bearings.

Jehinten

My recommendation is to contact your local Vermeer dealer and buy from them. They can get you the right bearings, rated for the loads they will carry, and they will be the right size the first time.

If that’s not an option, take what’s left of the old bearings to a local bearing supply (yes, they do exist) and explain what they’re going to be used for so they can guide you in choosing the right bearings.
From experience, having an older Vermeer mini skid, unless they still use those exact bearings in another piece of equipment, they will likely be unavailable. Although that's the first place I would try as well, just to be sure.

Jehinten

I have an older vermeer 1000. Serial # 101. I have the drum out and I'm replacing the bearings. From what I can tell on a dial caliper and a tape measure the diameter of the shaft going through the drum is 2 3/16". Could someone give me re assurance. And any advice on bearing selection etc...any other things maybe I need to do before I install it back in? Thankguysz. I'm in a time crunch as well.
Assuming they do the serial numbers on chippers the same way that they do on minis, you would have the first machine ever made of that model. Kind of neat if thats accurate.

Are you able to get any numbers off of the face of the bearing? Usually the size is stamped into the metal.

As for what else to check, I'd think it'd be a good idea to look at the shift closely for wear before putting it back together. If they just went out and its been getting greased, your probably ok.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The bearing number should be on the edge of one of the surfaces.

I walked into a bearing shop with a head bearing for my Vermeer chipper. Before I even said HI the counter guy said...ohhhh...for that Vermeer chipper!? He could tell by looking at it from ten feet away. I asked him how he knew and he told me that it was a very unique configuration that ONLY Vermeer used. I asked if it had some unusual spec that made it a good design choice. He said that others were better and more durable. His experience was that Vermeer engineers picked odd or less common bearings way too often. He had one on the shelf for me though. It was MUCH less than from Vermeer too.

evo

As others said get the right replacement. It’s way too critical to mess around.. I replaced my disk bearings a while back, and they were tapered barrels, never knew anything about them.. they used two different kinds on each side, one was fixed as you would expect, the other inner race pivoted slightly. This allows for any minor misalignment in the studs that they bolt to.
Mine were made by browning (stock), and when I called them up, they said they haven’t made them in a while, and were only a male to order item anymore. They priced them as such at nearly a grand per side. Found them on eBay as new old stock, at ~$300 per side.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom