Haulotte 55XA opinions please and chipper on front of trailer idea.

Anyone have opinions on these units? Ive been told parts take a while to get an they have electrical problems but tough to find a lot of information on these units.

Also what do you guys think of the idea of mounting a small chipper to the front of a equipment trailer sideways and chipping into the back of 1-ton dump truck? Thinking bandit 65 or maybe a shittier but easier to find Vermeer 6". So chipper in front with the 55' Haulotte behind it.

Thanks

Reach

The 55XA is a great machine when it works, but it does have plenty of electrical troubles. We run them a lot, I have been operating one since Bil Jax first came out with it and have learned most of its quirks. Our local rental company has 7, and they are great at fixing them, but they’ll tell you they are fairly high maintenance.

The chipper on a trailer idea sounds interesting, it will be a challenge to feed though because it will always be sideways, and on the wrong side half the time. It will also be a heavy trailer, as the 55XA weighs 6k lbs by itself.

The 55XA is a great machine when it works, but it does have plenty of electrical troubles. We run them a lot, I have been operating one since Bil Jax first came out with it and have learned most of its quirks. Our local rental company has 7, and they are great at fixing them, but they’ll tell you they are fairly high maintenance.

The chipper on a trailer idea sounds interesting, it will be a challenge to feed though because it will always be sideways, and on the wrong side half the time. It will also be a heavy trailer, as the 55XA weighs 6k lbs by itself.
Thank you Reach for your response.

Are the electrical problems costly to repair? Could you have back up parts for things that regularly fail or is it a bunch of different issues? Do you suggest I stay away? It seems to fit my needs best. I like the extra height that the 55xa has over the nifty but the nifty could be more reliable.

Yes trailer would be fairly heavy. I am trying to stay under 10k lbs. 55xa 6000lbs trailer 2500ish chipper 1500ish. Planning on taking the chipper off of its wheels and saving some weight. Was thinking maybe worst case buy an aluminum trailer to save a few hundred lbs.

If you were going to buy a Vermeer 6" chipper rent one and use it for at least a day first. Might keep you from being tempted to slit your wrists the first day of ownership. :)
Have you used the Vermeer bc700xl? I assume its the same as the older 6" but don't see a ton of reviews on them. Do you suggest the bandit 65xp for the best 6" small chipper?

thank you.

TCtreeswinger

Youre the fellow tryin to do mainly removals part time in milwaukee correct? Look into dump site costs. A 6" chipper probably wont do you much favor.

evo

There are many different older curbside feed chippers rusting away that would be perfect for placing on a trailer tongue.
I know of two or three sitting behind barns. Likely late 70s models
1590199473859.jpeg

TCtreeswinger

Our office out of butler regularily has .5hr dump runs one way that cost to dump. Sometimes even chips. There has to be grapple trucks that run loads in your area? Ive seen trailer set ups to haul a dingo and load material that gets winched off. Might make more sense in your propert management operations too?

Reach

Have you used the Vermeer bc700xl? I assume its the same as the older 6" but don't see a ton of reviews on them. Do you suggest the bandit 65xp for the best 6" small chipper?

thank you.
I definitely recommend the Bandit over the Vermeer 6”. The Vermeer has an infeed opening that is exactly 6” square. The Bandit infeed is 6” high but 12” wide. HUGE difference when it comes to feeding brush.

You might have a hard time getting it down under 1500 lbs though, and a 10k trailer long enough for both the lift and a chipper is probably going to weigh 3000-3500lbs empty. Keep in mind that the 55XA will fit on an 18’ trailer if you extend the boom off the back, it’s much more comfortable on a 20’ trailer. Add a chipper, you’ll need at least 26’ of deck, and that starts to get heavy.

Reach

Thank you Reach for your response.

Are the electrical problems costly to repair? Could you have back up parts for things that regularly fail or is it a bunch of different issues? Do you suggest I stay away? It seems to fit my needs best. I like the extra height that the 55xa has over the nifty but the nifty could be more reliable.

Yes trailer would be fairly heavy. I am trying to stay under 10k lbs. 55xa 6000lbs trailer 2500ish chipper 1500ish. Planning on taking the chipper off of its wheels and saving some weight. Was thinking maybe worst case buy an aluminum trailer to save a few hundred lbs.
The electrical problems are costly if you can’t do them yourself, and probably still somewhat if you can - what we have often seen is breaks in the wire harnesses, which means pulling and replacing harnesses, all of which are inside some variety of frame rail or tube. It’s a lift, with a lot of moving parts, which means a lot of wires moving and potentially breaking.

Some sensors also go; short of keeping half a lift around in spare parts, I don’t think you would be able to keep them all on hand. A spare level sensor or two would be a good start, as they seem to go out of adjustment fairly frequently.

Overall I like it for where it can go, and for what it can do, but I would compare it with a Nifty, and probably just spend the extra and buy a tracked lift instead, something with more reach. The 55XA has 55’ of vertical reach, which is great if you’re working on the side of a 5 story building. In trees, it realistically has only 40-45’ of max usable vertical reach, a problem shared by all other similar lifts, as the booms do not go over center.

Merle Nelson

thank you.

No I haven't used the 7 inch Vermeer, a former member here bought one new and soon sold it.

6 inch Bandits are solid functioning machines - get the 35 to 38 horse engine. My Bandit 65 AW (2002) is 1800lbs. Pull the wheels, axle and a couple of things and it would be under 15.

Barc Buster

Tongue weight is supposed to be an issue when loaded versus unloaded, I think.

I considered one, for a solo rig with a pickup instead of a dump truck.
That's where I was headed with the comment. I know @oceans had a pretty nice home built chipper/dump combo.

@wisconsintreeguy you might peruse this thread for some ideas about mounting a chipper on the front of a trailer

Lumberjack

Why the Biljax over a Nifty Lift? @wisconsintreeguy I’m a dealer for Nifty and haven’t added Bil Jax on purpose.

@Reach, why do you lose 10-15’ of height for working in trees? I’d have to look up the SD50, but on the SD64 I know I have 12’ of side reach at a 70’ working height.

Nathanael

We mounted a morbark 13 on the front of an 18 foot trailer, tapped into the hydraulics to turn the chipper to the side for feeding brush. Behind the chipper we can load a mini and a small stump grinder. It is heavy, but we pull it with an international 4900 so we don’t care about the weight. Sorry I don’t have any pictures.

Reach

Why the Biljax over a Nifty Lift? @wisconsintreeguy I’m a dealer for Nifty and haven’t added Bil Jax on purpose.

@Reach, why do you lose 10-15’ of height for working in trees? I’d have to look up the SD50, but on the SD64 I know I have 12’ of side reach at a 70’ working height.
Look at the chart for the 55XA, it drops pretty quick when you get off sides. 12’ of side reach is almost nothing in a lift, that only just barely gets you past the outriggers, and that’s a little close for comfort dropping things unless you’re rigging everything. You can set up half a dozen times to move around the tree if necessary, but that wastes a lot of time, and defeats the point of using a lift.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom