hangin by a single thread!

Im new to climbing since summer 2019, and even more of a beginner doing SRT. I just cant seem to kick the darn heebie Geebies. Im always up there wishing I was in my spikes, and missing the mechanical advantage of DRT,. not sure if its because I didnt start with SRT, or due that I only using a foot ascender on its own.. Im sure its a compounded mental thing, crossed with a never ending fickle relationship with hitchcords and different ways to tie em, they got a sense of humor! Not sure if its because I just need someone there who knows better than I do to hold me hand. Its probably all of these things. I need to come hang around a climbing comp and do some rec climbs with some people. I know this.. but in the mean time anyone have any similar qualms or tips or polite motivating pats on the helmet! always a pleasure reading these arb posts.

evo

Been here a while
Im new to climbing since summer 2019, and even more of a beginner doing SRT. I just cant seem to kick the darn heebie Geebies. Im always up there wishing I was in my spikes, and missing the mechanical advantage of DRT,. not sure if its because I didnt start with SRT, or due that I only using a foot ascender on its own.. Im sure its a compounded mental thing, crossed with a never ending fickle relationship with hitchcords and different ways to tie em, they got a sense of humor! Not sure if its because I just need someone there who knows better than I do to hold me hand. Its probably all of these things. I need to come hang around a climbing comp and do some rec climbs with some people. I know this.. but in the mean time anyone have any similar qualms or tips or polite motivating pats on the helmet! always a pleasure reading these arb posts.
See I’m pretty solid on rope, and feel the opposite but the same as you on spikes...

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Loosing the M/A definitely is a bummer, but there is some work arounds on that for shorter limb walks/ascents..... definitely a learning curve!!

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
Work at height is work at height brother, is a fall from 55' up on spikes / doubled rope gonna make you any less dead than a 55' fall from a single rope system?
Assuming you're on a canopy anchor you're not exerting anymore force on the tie in than MRS.
You mention hitch cords so Im guessing you're climbing on a wrench? What's your SRT gear setup and what's your MRT method?

Are you experimenting with this during production or on your own time? I find it easier to push bad thoughts out of my mind during production, a slow leisure climb is when I doubt myself more...

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
It took me a while to get used to climbing with ascenders on a single line. I'll never go back to old school though. try keeping your chest close to the line as you're ascending, don't lean back and keep your feet under you. Instead of moving a tie in point around the canopy with you, add them and remove them as you go along.

Finding climbing buddies is important. I have a very cautious tendency that can mess with my head. A lot of time with competent people has enabled me to balance my cautious nature with confidence based on reality.
Yeah i know its a piece of the puzzle. It helps me a lot when there is a good ground person controlling what I do. that confidence from someone else who knows better is so helpful.

Work at height is work at height brother, is a fall from 55' up on spikes / doubled rope gonna make you any less dead than a 55' fall from a single rope system?
Assuming you're on a canopy anchor you're not exerting anymore force on the tie in than MRS.
You mention hitch cords so Im guessing you're climbing on a wrench? What's your SRT gear setup and what's your MRT method?

Are you experimenting with this during production or on your own time? I find it easier to push bad thoughts out of my mind during production, a slow leisure climb is when I doubt myself more...
true A fall is a Fall!
I am on the wrench and i have a variety of hitchcords with a sampson hyperclimb line. I experiment with basal and canopy anchors, Spar anchors, (which doesnt bother me at all since that is just vertical descent ) I have the CT foot ascender. I have a CT triple attachment pulley.
I definitely have a better time climbing and learning during production. I have much more fear and uneasiness rec climbing. i almost dont know what to do when im climbing for "fun". When Im on a job I have an objective, I end up doing things I never would have done rec climbing. but on the job i sort of shy away from SRT a lot because drama with my hithcords. im uneasy to spend time setting a system up then taking so much time tuning it up when the job is waiting on me. so many times Ive just thrown on a blakes and ended up kicking myself thinking about all that gear that I lug around!

DSMc

Been here a while
i sort of shy away from SRT a lot because drama with my hithcords. im uneasy to spend time setting a system up then taking so much time tuning it up when the job is waiting on me...

This aspect needs to be addressed first. Determine and correct why your hitch cords and system are not quickly and safely reproducible, because they should be.

Chris Schultz

Participating member
This aspect needs to be addressed first. Determine and correct why your hitch cords and system are not quickly and safely reproducible, because they should be.
I agree 110%. Take some time, you can even do this in your house in your free time. Find out which hitch/chord/rope combo you like, and can get consistency with. You definitely don’t need to know every hitch under the sun, a few is good. Find one or two you have a solid relationship with. Being aloft is no time for uncertainty, or “drama”(physically,mentally, or equipment) For me I like the distel hitch. For me it’s reliable, and I like the action of it on my setup. I use it SRT and MRS. I have two flavors of cordage I like on blue moon.

I agree 110%. Take some time, you can even do this in your house in your free time. Find out which hitch/chord/rope combo you like, and can get consistency with. You definitely don’t need to know every hitch under the sun, a few is good. Find one or two you have a solid relationship with. Being aloft is no time for uncertainty, or “drama”(physically,mentally, or equipment) For me I like the distel hitch. For me it’s reliable, and I like the action of it on my setup. I use it SRT and MRS. I have two flavors of cordage I like on blue moon.
That has been why I have been avoiding it during a job. I think that I have been screwing myself up trying to meddle with so many different combinations.. but in a way that has also shown me a few that I like. The Knut has been good, and the VT has been alright for me more often than not. I started with the 5' tester pack from wessspur so i have been able to adjust the lengths. Im having a fine time with hitchcord on my MRS. I appreciate all of the advice and extra mantras from all of you. this forum is a very positive thing for people who are trying to become better and most importantly safer. I didnt want to end up like a lot of climbers i see who are old and reckless and doing things extremely basic. Even though I am amazed by them quite often.

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
Find that old Johnny pro crane swing video, that aught to make you feel better about the gears ability to hold you up.
You know the rope almost broke in that video, he talked about it on IG a little while ago, about how close he came to dying doing that stunt.

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
You know the rope almost broke in that video, he talked about it on IG a little while ago, about how close he came to dying doing that stunt.

I don't use IG, what did he have to say about it? I just rewatched the video and while it was certainly a ballsy move, it looked like it was "just" a big swing as opposed to a jerky dynamic load and catch that breaks rigging lines for example, and I imagine that Rope Runner would slip long before cutting into a rope. Edges on his tie-in-point?

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
He didn't go into specific detail (it seemed like it was an emotional post) but this is what he said- "I created TRT and used it for the crane swing, the shock from the swing was so much that it almost broke the rope showing the core of one of the lines. That's life"

Chris Schultz

Participating member
He didn't go into specific detail (it seemed like it was an emotional post) but this is what he said- "I created TRT and used it for the crane swing, the shock from the swing was so much that it almost broke the rope showing the core of one of the lines. That's life"
I wonder if the load/motion at the TIP is what created the core damage? I just watched this video, wow!..... He’s got another one of him repeatedly bombing out from a bucket while tied into a crane ball. IMPRESSIVE STUFF-

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
I wonder if the load/motion at the TIP is what created the core damage? I just watched this video, wow!..... He’s got another one of him repeatedly bombing out from a bucket while tied into a crane ball. IMPRESSIVE STUFF-
The bombing on the crane ball from straight up bucket is much less force on the rope than the swing was.
It is all impressive. Scarry to think about the forces but impressive to watch... I do similar crane tie in bombing every now and then when the opportunity presents, wouldn't dare a swing like that on arborist rope though (maybe on dynamic mountaineering rope if the tie in was sufficiently protected)!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom