Handsaw placement

Stumpsprouts

I have a very simple question... many years in the making.

If you stash your handsaw on your harness, rather than a leg mounted, where do you stash it? Pictures would be nice.

(I’m working out the 19th iteration of where to stash)

Reach

I now wear a SawPod on my right calf, but before that I alternated between right hip and center of back, depending on whether I was wearing a chainsaw or not. Never did find a good option besides my leg though, the saw always got hung up on everything when it was dangling from my saddle.

Njdelaney

Notch Talon on right calf also, or if I know I won't be using a power saw I hang it from the slic pin of a Quickie hung from Transporter on the right side. The Quickie keeps it oriented the right way and it is handy to have an extra Quickie with you anyways. I prefer the calf mount but the other way is alot quicker(not a Quickie joke).

27RMT0N

I also hang my handsaw off the saddle on the left, just behind my side-d. I put two links so it hangs and self-orients in a way that is easy to grab every time. Since I mostly do removals, the chainsaw is on my right (always) and what I am grabbing 90% of the time. Hanging it on my right with the chainsaw just strikes me as too much stuff on that side (and almost nothing being on my left), and one of those 'leg pod' things just seems like an awkward far reach although I've never tried one, plus the spurs would be in the way. I think Tom's point about the handsaw crossing your lines (right hander, left side) is a good one, although I've never had an issue with it personally.

Jzack605

I saw a video of someone with that orientation. They were talking about something else though. This intrigued me. How long have you had it like that?
A little while now but in all honesty don’t get to climb that saddle a ton due to using a different saddle that doesn’t have that option at my full time job. The different placement usually takes a bit longer to get used too, but it stays out of the way.

Stumpsprouts

I also hang my handsaw off the saddle on the left, just behind my side-d. I put two links so it hangs and self-orients in a way that is easy to grab every time. Since I mostly do removals, the chainsaw is on my right (always) and what I am grabbing 90% of the time. Hanging it on my right with the chainsaw just strikes me as too much stuff on that side (and almost nothing being on my left), and one of those 'leg pod' things just seems like an awkward far reach although I've never tried one, plus the spurs would be in the way. I think Tom's point about the handsaw crossing your lines (right hander, left side) is a good one, although I've never had an issue with it personally.
I second all of this. Also have been placing the handsaw on the left side. Using zip ties to help self-orient. Hate the leg pods. Hate having it on the right side w chainsaw. But also had the same thoughts Tom has had about crossing bridge/ropes/etc, and not just the safety aspect but the twisting of the lower back and general inefficiency.

I’m curious about this back mounted option. I feel like that would be hell on my lower back though... I imagine it takes quite a twist to place the saw just so.

moss

I’m a lefty, hang it on my right next to my top handle also on the right. I use my hand saw equally right or left hand, Silky Zubat scabbard is “right-handed” so it makes sense to hang on the right. I pass my handsaw in front a lot. When I do that I pull the saw with my right hand then cross my left arm over and grab the saw by the back of the blade, this keeps me very conscious of the teeth location as I pull the saw across to my left. Seems like a lot of trouble but it isn’t, very smooth and keeps my bridge and lines safe.

When it’s easy I pass the saw in back of me.
-AJ

Last edited:

Jehinten

I don't have a pic handy, but I use a monkeybeaver. Chainsaw and handsaw on the right side. Chainsaw lanyard clips to the round ring and hangs on a shembiner. Handsaw scabbard clips to the clip next to the ring. Never seems to be a problem having them both on the same side.

climbhightree

Handsaw on my back right side (right handed) using the clip most saddles have. Chainsaw on the other side in about the same position. I've tried the leg scabbard for awhile, but went back to traditional (and know of others that have done the same). The leg is great in theory...I just didn't feel it was good in practicality. Your leg is constantly in different positions, which can make it difficult to get/replace the handsaw IMO. The saddle clip attachment is always at the same general spot, and I can often get/replace the handsaw without looking. The leg scabbard also got it the way more for throwing the rope or throwline. On top of that is was another item that you had to make sure you grabbed from the truck and strap on (wasn't already connected to the saddle.

Stumpsprouts

Handsaw on my back right side (right handed) using the clip most saddles have. Chainsaw on the other side in about the same position. I've tried the leg scabbard for awhile, but went back to traditional (and know of others that have done the same). The leg is great in theory...I just didn't feel it was good in practicality. Your leg is constantly in different positions, which can make it difficult to get/replace the handsaw IMO. The saddle clip attachment is always at the same general spot, and I can often get/replace the handsaw without looking. The leg scabbard also got it the way more for throwing the rope or throwline. On top of that is was another item that you had to make sure you grabbed from the truck and strap on (wasn't already connected to the saddle.
So you’re saying you stash your chainsaw on your left side? Do you pass the saw in front of you or behind your back when you go to use it?

climbhightree

So you’re saying you stash your chainsaw on your left side? Do you pass the saw in front of you or behind your back when you go to use it?
Depends on my position. Chainsaw off and break on when moving it across in front of me. A non-spinning chain isn't going to instantly cut a rope etc.

PS- most times when I'm chunking, or rigging, spars I run the throttle left handed. This does put the bar slightly closer to my ropes, but it allows me to see exactly where my bar/chain is and also the muffler. I had a employee that almost melted through his climbing line once.

Last edited:

climbhightree

Decades ago I would hang it below and in front of my chainsaw hook on my right.

I cringe when I see right handers with handsaws on left. Crossing over their ropes, bridge etc. every time...scary!!!!
Or they just cut with their non dominant hand a lot, leaving there dominant hand to control the limb that they are handsawing.
I personally switched back and forth on which hand I cut/hold with depinding on the side of the tree, size of limb, how tired that particular hand might be etc.

Dan Cobb

I'm still using the same folding saw I've had for a long time. I keep it stashed in the cargo pocket on my right thigh with the lanyard clipped on my right hip. A few inches of the saw sticks out of my pocket so it's easy to grab, but it has never fallen out. Very convenient, although sometimes the lanyard will get tangled with the saw and wad of gear on my right hip. I'm paying attention to this thread in case I upgrade to a better hand saw with a scabbard.

dmonn

I hung everything on my right side for a while, but decided that was too much stuff and seemed to get things tangled up. I switched my lanyard to my left side, and that helped. I use my handsaw with either hand equally, depending on where the limb is. I keep it on the outside of my right calf, but that's been getting annoying lately. I may try switching it to behind my back. I'll see how I like it there. I've gotta look and see how best to mount it there. I agree with the annoyance of forgetting to grab the SawPod, but I've been annoyed often enough that I don't forget it any more. I do find it easy to reach when on my right calf, but it does get tangled up in lines there sometimes.

I'm wondering about attaching it to my back horizontally vs. vertically. Anybody do a horizontal attachment in the back of their harness?

Jonny

I keep my handsaw and miscellaneous stuff like loop runner, figure 8, and spare biner on my left side. Positioning lanyard and chainsaw lanyard on my right. Ditty bag and first aid kit on the back of the saddle. For spur climbing, I usually use a DdRT climbing line setup as a second lanyard if I don’t set a line first. That all rides on my left side until I’m tied in.

Straight blade 400mm Tsurugi. Best handsaw I’ve owned. I’ll never go back to the curved blades. Nice that the straights make it easy to pack on either side too. Used to have a Zubat and a curved Samurai, they were a little awkward being backwards on my left side. No biggie.

Serf Life

Right side straight Silky on micro biner. Rack my saw by the handle on caritool with transporter on my left for lockables etc. No issues really, maybe caritool could be a touch closer to the side d. If I’m pruning way the heck out on the underside of a limb I want handsaw easily accessible on my right.

Attachments

• 8A030C47-D8E6-4DCF-8350-C1EA39B94189.jpeg
    8A030C47-D8E6-4DCF-8350-C1EA39B94189.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom