Gypsy mother caterpillar no more!

KTSmith

Exactly Evo. My idealized concept of myself includes a generous spirit of social cooperation, inclusivity, and kindness. No, that self concept does not include the intentional or careless castigation or ridicule of entire groups of people. Sure, I've never meant to disparage anyone when I use a commonly accepted name for a pest. My conscience is clear on that.
But now that I know it is offensive....which I should have known for a long time, isn't it up to me to try to live up to my own ideal of myself? No, this is not political correctness but simple courtesy and good citizenship.

Dan Cobb

Years ago, a corporate training instructor shared that he had a woman in one of his classes that, privately, asked if he would stop referring to the "flip chart," as she was Filipino and "flip" is a derogatory term for her nationality.

Sometimes, you may not have a clue.

evo

Years ago, a corporate training instructor shared that he had a woman in one of his classes that, privately, asked if he would stop referring to the "flip chart," as she was Filipino and "flip" is a derogatory term for her nationality.

Sometimes, you may not have a clue.
Good that she spoke up. I know the term used in both ways. But I’ve assumed it’s a verb and a noun. Flipping the pages of a book, or a chart that you flip can be called a flip chart?! Spanish has a few of these dual words as well

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom