Growth Regulator Question

Jzack605

I’ve never applied growth regulators so I have no experience with them in my 9 years of PHC and never gave them any thought. Recently got a copy of ‘Modern Arboriculture’ and found this image and caption interesting. Is the streaking where the injection sites are located? I assume this is the base of the tree, but it also may be a saucer cut out. 167789AC-68A4-48DE-859E-A372B3A051C6.jpeg

Jzack605

So I’ve never seen an internal image of injection sites before. Is this a common reaction or specific to growth regs?

JD3000

Most well-known member
Some injected products can cause localized necrosis, especially if not diluted enough.

Look into paclobutrazol (pbz) as it is labeled for basal root soaks if you have trees you feel could benefit from growth regulation.

Jzack605

Currently not interested in making the applications of them, more so curious as to potential damage they may cause that is unseen until dissection.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Currently not interested in making the applications of them, more so curious as to potential damage they may cause that is unseen until dissection.
It's more the injecting but the product may be problematic as well

cerviarborist

Very stable member
But does the photo actually show a serious injury? Personally I never use injections in my practice if I think the tree is able to take up the product as a basal drench. (And if it's not capable, then I have to ask myself if I'm just padding the bill to treat a dying tree.) The photo shows a completely intact growth ring outside of all the injection sites. Is the wood decayed, or merely discolored?

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Yes, he suggested that. In 1991. In that same photo, wall 4 seems to be proceeding nicely. Damage is a subjective term. Discoloration of the wood is damage as it might cause that part of the log to be unmarketable as timber. Is it causing an interruption of biological process, sufficient to precipitate a spiral of decline in the tree and/or structural failure?

ATH

...Discoloration of the wood is damage as it might cause that part of the log to be unmarketable as timber. ....
Or, might make it MORE marketable...depending on what the end user wants.

Wormy maple (ambrosia beetle damage) used to be worthless for anything except blocking/pallets. Now some see it as an improvement.

Same with syrup spile damage