GRIZZLY SPLICE

im really curios to see what you all have to say about the grizzly splice too. im scared to try a gizzly spliced rope or prussik. looks kinda scary to me.all thats holding it together is whipping twine?

chewbacca

I use grizzly spliced bee line for my eye2eye. No problems at all. Also (Josh this is something you may be interested to know) I use the cmi double eye micropulley, and I don't experience the spliced eyes migrating under/into the micropulley holes as has been described in another thread. I believe this is due to the grizzly splice.

"Why? How many sewn slings do you own??"

I don't own any sewn slings. I'm to cheap for that. I just beer knot my own. However, I do know that my saddle is all kinds of sewn together.

HAHA you caught me.
im to cheap for slings? slings are too cheap for me are you kidding!! i couldhave a handfullof them tomarrow if i wanted. i think webbing slings are limited in what they can do. you cant make a quick prussik out of a sling can you? no of course not! ok ok but back to the grizzly thing so we dontget too derailed here. it just looks a bit awkward for someone who is used to splices.

livefreeordie

i have a few issues with the grizzly splice. one, they seem way too bulky for me especially on an eye and eye. and two sherrill sells them and i dont like dealing with sherrill, although after recently taking apart a few sherrill hand splices, if given the option i would probably opt for a grizzly splice. those are my main issues with the splice, and one isnt really related to the splice at all, but it kinda bugs me that its sherrills patented grizzly splice when petzl has been using the same technology for years. its kinda like the sherrill folding cubes.oh well if i keep complaining this will have to go under the rant and rave section. i am sure that the splices meet all the strength ratings that they have to and are plenty strong. thats my two cents

Tr33Climb3r

[ QUOTE ]
im really curios to see what you all have to say about the grizzly splice too. im scared to try a gizzly spliced rope or prussik. looks kinda scary to me.all thats holding it together is whipping twine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Josh sometimes you make me laugh...do you know how strong the splice is? Someone correct me if I am wrong but grizzly splices are stronger than hand splices.

Sewn together stuff scares you?...looks like you are in the wrong industry.

But you live in Hawaii so you have that going for ya
tongue.gif

Norm_Hall

[ QUOTE ]
talk $#!% here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If done properly, sewn eyes are stronger than buried eyes.

When doing a bury splice, the fibers get stretched, weakening them a little. Sewn eyes don't experience that.
The stitching is protected with heat shrink tubing. So, choose your stitched eyes accordingly. Probably not the best choice for a rigging sling.

Blinky

Plenty strong but eye/eyes bunch up because the rope doesn't get massaged at all. One of the reasons hand spliced split tails are so well balanced is the hand splicing works the material over and gets all the differential stretch worked out.

It's just another way to replace people with machines in world where there aren't enough jobs to begin with.

Sorry to all you republicans but people matter more than money... every time.

pureascension

I don't mind my grizzly splice. However I liked my las batch of hand spliced more. Like you said Blinky, "Well balanced". I find the grizzly splice to bind a bit more.

unatool

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this thread has gone a strange direction.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Sorry to all you republicans but people matter more than money... every time."

thanks blinky, for the reminder. I live in the pacific northwest, so I dont get to meet to many of the 50% of this nation that votes for the party that celebrates corporate profits and lower taxes for the rich.

So HA! Hire your local tree trimmer, shop at your local hardware store, etc. Radical idea, eh?

robinia

I didn't like them at first, but now I think they're alright.
Often I'm still using a regular micropulley that has the nuts on the outside of the sheave. The grizzly E&E have that nice plastic covering so the prussic material can't pick on the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HAHA you caught me.
you cant make a quick prussik out of a sling can you? no of course not!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but you can!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can! And I have done it for a month or so, back when I was still footlocking (glad those days are behind me). It worked fine too. Grizzly splice? I climb on one now and, eh... Liked hand spliced eyes better. The Demos and the Republicos are two sides of the same weighted coin, it flip flops to screw you every time no matter who you vote for.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom