Gri Gri for ascent on SRS?

Tree frog

So I'm new here. I've been climbing for 2 & 1/2 years and will be competing in my 2nd competition the end of September. From everything I've read the Taz Lov2 is the way to go for fastest set-up time on SRS. Just wondering if anyone has used the Gri-Gri for ascent on SRS? I apologize ahead of time if I'm posting this on the wrong forum. I'm new to Tree Buzz & forums in general! Thanks for any help & advice in advance! ☮

Brocky

Welcome! The Grigri puts a sharp bend in the rope. Any ascenders would have to be above it on the rope, no foot ascenders. And you would have to pull the slack through it, no self tending tethers or lots.

Finky198

I use a gri gri in a rads system as part of a long multi purpose lanyard,
And a petzl ID in rads for my main climbing system. I have no complaints it’s not necessarily the fastest or most efficient but very effective for my uses...

I agree with Brocky the gri gri is a bit tight on bend radius not really and issue but definitely not ideal the ID or Rig will run much smoother than a gri gri.

Cereal_Killer

A grigri is absolutely usable to ascend a rope, not saying otherwise... BUT you mention competition; nothing is going to realistically compete with a TAZ lov2 if attaching to the rope is part of the timed score. A grigri or any RADS system will put you at such a disadvantage you may as well tie a hitch and go that route so atleast you're still climbing directly instead of with a 3:1 (what a RADS system is) where you're pulling 3' of rope to rise 1' up the rope.

In short, any way mentioned in this thread can be used effectively to climb a rope (some faster then others) but again if your goal is competition spend the $275 and get the TAZ and be on the same playing field going in, literally every other option is inferior at that specific aspect.

Of interest- look at the videos of guys climbing competitions on wrenches and HH2's by pre-tying their hitch and using a braided wire mesh "Chinese finger trap" looking device to feed the rope through. That's the only real chance you have to beat a TAZ and you're gonna have to practice it hundreds of times, any idiot can walk up to a line, slap a TAZ on there and be ready to climb in 2-3sec.

Tree frog

A grigri is absolutely usable to ascend a rope, not saying otherwise... BUT you mention competition; nothing is going to realistically compete with a TAZ lov2 if attaching to the rope is part of the timed score. A grigri or any RADS system will put you at such a disadvantage you may as well tie a hitch and go that route so atleast you're still climbing directly instead of with a 3:1 (what a RADS system is) where you're pulling 3' of rope to rise 1' up the rope.

In short, any way mentioned in this thread can be used effectively to climb a rope (some faster then others) but again if your goal is competition spend the $275 and get the TAZ and be on the same playing field going in, literally every other option is inferior at that specific aspect.

Of interest- look at the videos of guys climbing competitions on wrenches and HH2's by pre-tying their hitch and using a braided wire mesh "Chinese finger trap" looking device to feed the rope through. That's the only real chance you have to beat a TAZ and you're gonna have to practice it hundreds of times, any idiot can walk up to a line, slap a TAZ on there and be ready to climb in 2-3sec.
Yeah, set-up time is part of the comp. That's what I noticed last year with the TazLov2. Nobody could beat that set-up time. Not even the guys with the rope wrench & hitch pre-tied. Would love to find a used one. Any suggestions where to look for used climbing gear?

Jonny

Is comp ascents where the Taz Lov excels?
I never heard of the device being used for work, but have been curious about it. Think I read that it’s a bit of a jerky descent and a brake hand is necessary.

Tree frog

I never heard of the device being used for work, but have been curious about it. Think I read that it’s a bit of a jerky descent and a brake hand is necessary.
I've only seen it used in the ascent event at competitions. I don't know anyone that actually uses it for work. However, I've only been climbing for 2.5 yrs. But I work with a lot of experienced tree climbers.

Cereal_Killer

... a brake hand is necessary.
It is. In most competitions I've seen you don't even have to lower yourself if you don't want to, they belay you down by lowering the hub / ring / whatever their system has that your rope attaches to.

You know how rock climbers clip their kids ropes to their harnesses attachment point when teaching them how to repel and belay helping to keep their tail bent over tight enough for friction? I've wondered if clipping your tail to your up rope after you reach your TIP and are preparing to work down the tree would provide just enough added friction to widen the sweet spot any... I don't know anyone who has one and I can't justify the coin on a toy in the event I too found it unusable for working.

Would love to find a used one. Any suggestions where to look for used climbing gear?
Brother if I find somewhere selling 2 I'll let you know cause I'm buying the first one I find lol!

Last edited:

Tree frog

It is. In most competitions I've seen you don't even have to lower yourself if you don't want to, they belay you down by lowering the hub / ring / whatever their system has that your rope attaches to.

You know how rock climbers clip their kids ropes to their harnesses attachment point when teaching them how to repel and belay helping to keep their tail bent over tight enough for friction? I've wondered if clipping your tail to your up rope after you reach your TIP and are preparing to work down the tree would provide just enough added friction to widen the sweet spot any... I don't know anyone who has one and I can't justify the coin on a toy in the event I too found it unusable for working.

Brother if I find somewhere selling 2 I'll let you know cause I'm buying the first one I find lol!
I'd be honored to be your second! ☮

saucerboy

Grigri isn´t allowed in ISA competitions since it´s not certified for work. You can use Petzl Rig/ID, but the ascent will be much slower than with TAZ LOV2. I think the only device that could challenge TAZ in Ascent event is the RE Akimbo, which has been recently certified and therefore approved for ISA comps.

Tree frog

Grigri isn´t allowed in ISA competitions since it´s not certified for work. You can use Petzl Rig/ID, but the ascent will be much slower than with TAZ LOV2. I think the only device that could challenge TAZ in Ascent event is the RE Akimbo, which has been recently certified and therefore approved for ISA comps.
Thanks for the update. Definitely looking like the Taz is the way to go for the ascent event. I used the rope wrench my first year. Set-up time was a bit slower & I forgot to clip my chest harness in. That was a bitch of a climb up that rope!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom