GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp vs Ford 6.2L 165 hp

cody willard

I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on a chipper build (15XPC vs 15XP, 80-90% pruning and 20-10% removal use expected in 2022), but other than price, my engine choices is what concerns me.

Pros and cons to each engine? Who has ran both?

- I hear of unreliability with the GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp, both online and locally.

-I hear of poor cold weather starting on the Ford 6.2L 165 hp, not to mention is costs $5300.00 more than the GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp now. Technically the cost of a winch!

GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp [243 lb-ft]
Ford 6.2L 165 hp [355 ft-lbs]

deevo

Been here a while
I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on a chipper build (15XPC vs 15XP, 80-90% pruning and 20-10% removal use expected in 2022), but other than price, my engine choices is what concerns me.

Pros and cons to each engine? Who has ran both?

- I hear of unreliability with the GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp, both online and locally.

-I hear of poor cold weather starting on the Ford 6.2L 165 hp, not to mention is costs $5300.00 more than the GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp now. Technically the cost of a winch!

GM/PSI 4.3L 145hp [243 lb-ft]
Ford 6.2L 165 hp [355 ft-lbs]
I have a 2021 Morbark 1621x with the 4.3 it has the coil packs not the old style setup which my 5.7 gas 18R has. It’s been great so far. Don’t have to worry about the distributor cap issues with it, which I got resolved in my 18R

Sfoppema

Participating member
My mechanic claims that Bandit cheaped out on the GM setup. Bought motor block from GM and tried to piece together from there from here and there to keep price down. Had lots of problems as a result. The ford came more complete from Ford designed for the chipper. So far as I've been told. Have had 700 hours into ford no issues. Started all winter in central MA when the JD needed to be plugged in...

cody willard

Some good info! No wonder the Ford is 5k more! I wonder if it’s the same 6.2 that’s in their pick ups and has 16 spark plugs? If it is, The engine is slowly getting legendary status as it ages because it’s so bulletproof and over built.

Nish

Branched out member
We've had fuel line issues on hot summer days with the GM/PSI 4.3L and 5.7L (on 12xp and 15xp, respectively). We've had the 6.2 Fords for only about a year (18xp and 19xpc) and so far no engine problems that I can recall.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom