Gear for kids/beginners?

climbatreeaweek

Hi,
I'm a graduate student in industrial design doing research for a design project that might involve making tree climbing gear for kids.

My idea right now is to help with first limb ascent and descent because I see that as the scariest/hardest part of climbing. Is this true?
A simple (and therefore affordable) rope/webbing setup rather than provide a full climbing system.

I am wondering from an arborist perspective what would make sense and be safe.

My prototype right now is just a line hitched to a carabiner to quickly throw over the lowest limb and secure back to itself.

Also interested in solutions that don't harm the tree bark/etc.

Most of the gear I've seen is more about the requirements of the job (rigging etc.) than just getting in the tree, although the rope launchers are very cool!

20210112_111228.jpg

Jehinten

As far as rope setup, I think the possibility of sending a kid up solo (with adult supervision from the ground) is a good time to use a lowerable basal anchor if doing SRS/SRT. That said I think most kids starting out do better on moving rope because of the mechanical advantage.

I certainly wouldn't choke a limb with that carabiner. What rope is that, that your using?

Njdelaney

X2 on the MRS for kids. And unless the kid is huge you can control/stop their descent as well as assisting their ascent with the tail of the rope. You can make it even safer by being in the tree and having the tail of their rope looped over a small branch if they're heavy for descent. That creates enough friction to lower even a big kid slowly and safely, plus if you're in the tree and they panic you can help them with lowering up close and personal. I do this with my 4-year old and even though he has no problem lowering himself with a hitch, he does have a lead foot and always tries to bomb out of the tree as fast as he can, so having control of the tail is a must.

climbatreeaweek

As far as rope setup, I think the possibility of sending a kid up solo (with adult supervision from the ground) is a good time to use a lowerable basal anchor if doing SRS/SRT. That said I think most kids starting out do better on moving rope because of the mechanical advantage.

I certainly wouldn't choke a limb with that carabiner. What rope is that, that your using?
I was worried about that too but the carabiner didn't even touch the tree. The rope is poly, not rated for climbing, I'm just using it to test my prototype.

The goal is to just make a rope that can quickly be thrown over a limb high enough to get the kid to the first branch. They can climb from there on their own. Not to get harnesses, descenders, etc. involved at all. I'm wondering if there's a piece of gear to replace the carabiner that would be easy enough for a kid to operate. I could also make a foam protector for the carabiner to keep it from damaging the tree if that setup is actually safe in y'alls opinion (is it?).

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jehinten

The rope is poly, not rated for climbing
I thought so but the look of it, but I didn't want to assume.

I'm wondering if there's a piece of gear to replace the carabiner
Yes there is gear to replace that carabiner. Rated screw links, delta links, quickie, and for your purpose just an eye splice that can be girthed onto the limb.

I agree with @HigherGroundArborist. Not to mention the negative impact of a kid getting hurt, but you'd also be setting yourself up for a lawsuit; if that is in fact what your doing.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom